Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

gonna buy me some RAM
    #2891298 - 07/14/04 10:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

well... my comp's only got 128 MB of RAM, and although the CPU's not blazingly fast (1.7GHz P4) i figure that insufficient RAM is the bigger contributer to my comp's mediocre speed (and the only thing i can afford to upgrade right now).

i know the specifications of the RAM i need.

512 MB SDRAM PC133

... but i've found this offered through different vendors and manufacturers at greatly different prices. everything from $49.99 for 'generic' RAM from vendors on pricewatch to $118.00 from some other manufacturers.

am i gonna get what i pay for? is quality a key issue or is all RAM created equal?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: gonna buy me some RAM [Re: ]
    #2891410 - 07/14/04 11:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It depends on who you talk to. The last computer I built I used generic RAM and I had some problems with it,but I can't say for sure if it was the RAM (although I think it was).

I'd go the middle path. A lot of brand name RAM companies make cheaper memory under a different name (sort of like a value line) that's just as good.

Stay away from error correcting code. It's not worth the money unless you're running a server or something.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Anonymous

Re: gonna buy me some RAM [Re: monoamine]
    #2891440 - 07/14/04 11:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

do you have any suggestions?

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #2891497 - 07/15/04 12:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No,nothing specific.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2893521 - 07/15/04 03:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ah, RAM. One of my favorite topics.

Yes, you will get what you pay for. SDRAM is not very fast. Best if you upgraded to DDR SDRAM but your motherboard must support DDR. Chances are, it doesn't.

If you don't do any intensive gaming or video editting that requires high quality, lock clock, high MHz RAM, then just get generic. Otherwise, switch to DDR, or better yet, wait a while and upgrade your entire Intel based system to Socket 775 and DDR2 (along with PCI-E and other goodies).

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2893660 - 07/15/04 04:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I purchased Geil ram for my computer, it was a bit cheaper than other brands, but had good reviews and I've never had a problem with it. Sometimes the generic ram is cobbled together from different memory chips made by different manufacturers - they might be rated the same but they don't perform the same. So I would avoid the generic and go with a reputable brand. Also, it can be a waste of money to get higher speed ram than is already on your motherboard, the memory will run at the speed of the slowest ram. As with your DVD recorder, I would recommend newegg.com and check out the customer reviews of various ram.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology