Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
pissed off at cnn
    #2890199 - 07/14/04 04:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

impulse post

just saw this on the FRONT PAGE of cnn.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/07/14/fiery.deaths.ap/index.html

I fucking hate how they try to keep us living in fear.... why the fuck would I POSSIBLY want to know about this???!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
Re: pissed off at cnn [Re: Turd]
    #2890435 - 07/14/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think they are as bad as Fox news.. I read the Fox news website for the pure comedy value.

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2890647 - 07/14/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

News is crap because it is a business. Fox and CNN both have to make money. They have to sensationalize to sell it. Has anyone heard enough about Lacey Peterson yet?

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: pissed off at cnn [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2890763 - 07/14/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Meh.. horrible things happen every day, if you learn to accept it you'll feel much happier and secure with your feelings, knowing that you shouldnt have to feel bad. Deal with what you can at the moment, secure yourself mentaly and move onto the next thing if you feel your prepared, thats how I see it :smile:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2890825 - 07/14/04 07:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone heard enough about Lacey Peterson yet?

:yesnod:

I don't understand why that is so important it has to be covered and covered and covered...

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: pissed off at cnn [Re: Jellric]
    #2890860 - 07/14/04 07:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My wife watches that stuff about Lacey. It sells I guess. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

The crazy thing is, once the media gets involved the story takes on a life of its own. High priced lawyers vie to take the case, and the insuing legal battle costs local taxpayers millions of dollars. If I was judge I would give him a change of venue just to save my fellow locals a lot of money.

I forget the name of the woman who drove her kids into the lake in that small town. I think it was Susan Smith. I remember someone for the county saying something to the effect that they didn't have the resources to try a "national case".

I couldn't even begin to speculate how much the OJ case cost. Putting a dollar figure to that dog and pony show would be staggering. Think of what the taxpayers pay to prosecute. Think of what OJ paid to defend himself. And then think of the worldwide resources expended to cover every single aspect of the case. It is staggering to think of the things we waste our time on. Oh the drama.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleLetto
Load Universeinto Cannon. Aimat Brain. Fire.
    #2890977 - 07/14/04 08:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Kill em all and let your god sort them out. :smile:

Edit: It's really weird replying to JesusChrist...

Edited by Letto (07/14/04 08:20 PM)

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2891576 - 07/15/04 12:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

It's really sad when you know they could be covering little things like plagues, genocide, environmental issues..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Anonymous

#2891704 - 07/15/04 12:55 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I don't watch any news. I don't even know who Lacey Peterson is. (???)

I always get my news from word of mouth, and if it sounds important or interesting I'll read more about it online. That way all the dramatic unimportant crap is automatically avoided. :thumbup:

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
    #2891925 - 07/15/04 02:06 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck commercial news, man.  Why even waste the time?  At least listen to NPR or watch the Newshour on PBS.  Fox is just an instrument of Murdoch's shitty partisan agenda.  CNN is a whore to the dollar, too.  Christ.  When can you watch CNN and NOT get pissed off?  They're lllzzzame.... :whatever:

GB

OfflineDF2K
Me.
Male User Gallery

Loc: The land before time
Re: pissed off at cnn [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2893121 - 07/15/04 12:57 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

FUCK, i honestly cant wait for the end times to come, get rid of the disease called the human race
fucking disgusting  :sad:

Invisiblebandaid
clever title

Re: pissed off at cnn [Re: DF2K]
    #2893795 - 07/15/04 05:23 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you can begin with yourself :thumbup: :grin:, I'll worry about me dont you worry

Offlinetwigz
stick boy
 User Gallery

Loc: From up in a tree
    #2894452 - 07/15/04 08:26 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i dont read the news any more its just to... i dont know id rather not know whats going on... i like to be in my own happy lil world  :thumbup:

--------------------
Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

InvisibleJiggleThaHandle
LITTLE DOO-DADS FROM THA WOODS

Loc: Carlyle Hotel---ROOM #9
    #2894719 - 07/15/04 10:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am not liking ESPN (EVEN THOUGH this makes me laugh my ass off)

2/17/04
ESPN Getting Tired of Walton Grateful Dead References
Bristol, CT -- In a confidential memo leaked to the press Tuesday morning, executives at ESPN expressed growing concern about incessant references to legendary counterculture rock band, the Grateful Dead, made by NBA analyst and lifelong "Deadhead," Bill Walton.

"If we could all make an effort to help Bill reduce the number of
references to Grateful Dead lyrics, concerts he's attended, and past and present band members throughout an average broadcast," the memo said, "it would go along way toward bringing more viewers to Fridays [ESPN's Friday Night NBAcoverage]."
"Seriously, I'm not kidding here," the memo continued, "it's got to stop.
Before we all gouge our own eyes out with sporks."
While the memo is believed to have been sent by ESPN executive vice
president of programming/production, Mark Shapiro, anti-Walton-Dead-reference sentiment has been growing company-wide since ESPN began covering NBA games this season.
"If he tells me one more time how he did mescaline with Mama Cass and
David Crosby backstage at the Greek Theater, Berkeley, '71, I'm gong to smack him," said Walton's broadcast partner, Mike Tirico. "And that's exactly how he always says it, too: 'Greek TheaterBerkeley.seventy-one,' and then he starts grinning and grooving to some Dead music in his head, going, 'Yeaaaah, man.yeaaaah' like a total stoner."
"The guy's, what, fifty-one?" Tirico added. "Hey Bill, the 'Summer of
Love' ended thirty-three years ago. Time to move on, pal."
Shapiro's memo also indicated that Walton's references to songs, concerts, people and events from more than three decades ago is not helping ESPN's NBA Friday night ratings.
"We're targeting a younger demographic," Shapiro's memo said, "so if you could all please remind Bill that today's 18- to 24-year-old viewer simply does not care that it's the 13th anniversary of [Grateful Dead keyboardist] Brent Mydland's death. They don't care who Ron 'Pigen' McKernan was, and don't understand why Bill is comparing Pigpen's leadership abilities in the Dead's formative Haight-Ashbury years to Jason Kidd's ability to run the Nets offense."
"No wonder we're losing Friday viewers to 'John Doe.' Why? Because 'John Doe' doesn't have some sad, aging, hippie freakster spewing Robert Hunter lyrics every three seconds."
While ESPN management had been initially lenient with the random Grateful Dead trivia, facts, and anecdotes that Walton began injecting into broadcasts for no apparent reason, insiders believe that it was the recent Bulls-Wizards matchup-which featured Michael Jordan's last appearance in Chicago-that was the last straw for Shapiro.
Toward the end of the game, Walton managed to shoehorn approximately 168 Grateful Dead mentions into a seemingly endless monologue.
"While these great Chicago fans hope to see Michael 'One More Saturday
Night' perhaps in the playoffs, he's beginning to show a 'Touch of Grey' in his hair, and while I've always believed that Michael must be a 'Friend of the Devil' to have had such a wonderful career, and he still plays with the aggression of a 'Wharf Rat,' his 'Unbroken Chain' of success must come to an end. But his legacy will 'Not Fade Away' even as he disappears down the 'Golden Road.' For us fans, there's 'nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.'"
Tape of the broadcast then shows a visibly confused Tirico about to open
his mouth to speak, but being immediately cut off by the former UCLA, Portland Trailblazers and Boston Celtics star.
"This is horrrrrible, Mike, just horrrrible," Walton nearly screamed. "I
fear the NBA will go to 'Hell in a Bucket' without Michael, and the 'Eyes of
the World' will be upon the next generation of NBA superstars, and David Stern is clearly saying 'I Need a Miracle' to the Kobes, the Garnetts, the McGradys, even the Lebron Jameses of the world, hoping that MJ's retirement doesn't lead to a serious case of the 'U.S. Blues' for NBA fans."
Walton then made a tangental reference to Michael's wife "Althea," and
three children-"Bertha," "Casey Jones," and "Tennessee Jed"-all of whom, he claimed, were in the United Center that evening. When Tirico informed Walton that Jordan's wife is, in fact, named Juanita and his children are Jeffrey, Marcus and Jasmine, Walton paused.
"Hey now, Mike," Walton said, "hey now, Aiko Aiko all day, jockomo feeno na na nay, jockomo feena nay. Hey now--"
It was then that ESPN producers abruptly cut to an emergency broadcast
system test pattern, then back to ESPN studio analysts, David Aldridge and Dr. Jack Ramsey.
"Well, I." Aldridge said, awkwardly shuffling papers and clearing his
throat. "Did Bill just say that Michael Jordan's son is named Tennessee Jed,'"Ramsey asked.
While Shapiro is clearly concerned about the effect Walton's Grateful Dead over-referencing will have on the success of ESPN's Friday night NBA coverage,he admitted in a later interview that it could be worse.
"At least he's not mixing in John Wooden stuff, too. I mean, can you
imagine if he combined all that Jerry Garcia bullshit with his incessant Wooden motivational quotes? Christ Almighty."
Shapiro then shuddered.
> http://www.dead.net/special_events/index.html

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead, San Pedro

Community >> The Pub