Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefunkysmell
strange
Casing with Polyester batting
    #2886608 - 07/13/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My duck was wondering if polyester batting could be used as a casing layer. It comes in many densities and thickness, is inert, and isn't too expensive, easy to find, easy to cut to size. It's moisture retention isn't that great, however, in a humidity controlled environment, fruit can get moisture from the air. What do you think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
Re: Casing with Polyester batting [Re: funkysmell]
    #2886895 - 07/13/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The only way to know would be to try it. Moisture retention is important though in a good casing. Ive never heard of it being done so go ahead and try it and tell us your results.  :laugh:

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2887602 - 07/13/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

ok, so if it doesn't retain moisture well, then why would you want to use it?

Here's my guess....contam city.

How are you going to ensure the sterility of that stuff??

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Invisiblefreakygurl
Stranger
Re: Casing with Polyester batting *DELETED* [Re: mycoguy]
    #2888809 - 07/14/04 07:43 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by freakygurl

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2888857 - 07/14/04 08:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It will work, as will nearly all fabrics. Sterility isn't an issue. If it doesn't hold enough moisture, simply use two or more layers of the stuff. I've fruited on dozens of different fabric casing materials. I have gone back to good ol' peat/verm however, simply because it works better.

Offlinefunkysmell
strange
Re: Casing with Polyester batting [Re: freakygurl]
    #2888873 - 07/14/04 08:29 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The duck has had some success with casing, but he's far from an expert. He thought he read somewhere on this site...

...Casing is a process of applying a non-nutritious layer over the colonized substrate so that the mycelium has access to more moisture, thereby increasing the size and number of flushes. Also that casing gives structure for the myc to colonize, no quote on that one. The batting would give a good structure for the myc to colonize. There is nothing in it that would promote contams, ph neutral, etc.

He thought he would sandwich it between 2 layers of verm, thus adding high moisture retention with strong structural support. Maybe the duck is making things hard for himself, perhaps the structural element of a casing is not that important. His verm only casings didn't seem to hold his fruit well enough, and they fell over. Mixing various, peet and coco coir added to the delema with their various contam and PH issues.

quack

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #2889198 - 07/14/04 10:59 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You could always case with coir then put poly mesh fabric (not stuffing)like pantyhose on top so when you pick em theres no coir to clean up. It's been done with straw logs in pantyhose before. This idea wasnt that bad he just has it in the wrong form. I'd be willing to give this a try on half of my friends next flush as this one already started. Im guessing black would be best so fruits dont pin below the mesh.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2902283 - 07/18/04 11:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

MM has use the poly netting for drainage tubing with excellent results instead of the poly tubing and IMO is superior in many ways. As a flat casing material I'd think not because of the memory that plastic has and is characteristic to. I love coir/verm also as well as a good 50/50+. As far as batting no clue haven't tried it and most likely won't unless I see some nice growlogs to back it. Moisture retention has to be accompanied by transipation or things will get stagnant beneath the micro-climate this IMO needs to be done through the ability of the casing to be able to dryout/absorb. :wink: GL funkysmell :laugh:

Edited by dcyans (07/18/04 12:01 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate, Substrate Mix