Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
"Volcanic rock" in place of perlite?
    #2887954 - 07/13/04 11:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I searched for this one, but didn't see it directly addressed....  I was at the garden store and saw "volcanic rock," one cubic foot in a bag.  It was a bunch of unshaped stones that were reddish in color.  Each one was about an inch and a half by 3/4 of an inch wide.  This isn't geolite, or lava rock.  Volcanic rock. 
    Would this work for a humidifying layer in a fruiting chamber?  I'd just like to avoid perlite as it's kind of messy.  Anyone used this?  Thanks! :grin:

GB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: "Volcanic rock" in place of perlite? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2888564 - 07/14/04 03:52 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Volcanic rock is lava rock. Lava comes from volcanoes. It should work the same as Geolite, im not sure about replacing it as perlite though. Just make sure to do proper cleaning techniques too make sure it wont contam your grow.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Edited by hawksapprentice (07/14/04 04:05 AM)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: "Volcanic rock" in place of perlite? [Re: GnuBobo]
    #2888707 - 07/14/04 05:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's doubtful that it will have the same desird effect as perlite, even though perlite is technically very small white volcanic rock. Because of it's size and the size of the pours in perlite, it can effectively absorb and then re-emit water through these pours, where-as the larger size of the volcanic (red rock) will not function in quite the same way.

Perlite shouldn't be very difficult to locate. Most garden centers in big-box stores will carry it (Lowe's, Home Depot) and your local garden specialty store and nurseries should probably stock it too as it is a very common soil addative for water retention.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix