Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
Going homeless at the end of the month..
    #2882920 - 07/12/04 04:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well this is it. Im only 24 and i will be homeless at the end of this month. I have spent the last 6 years of my life working my fingers to the bone to put myself through college and i graduated last august with a BS in biochemistry. Since then i had a great well paying job but it was only a temp and it ended in may. Now its been 2 months and i cant get a job. Ive had interviews for some great jobs but i just havent been able to land anything that i can live off of. Im now 30k in debt due to school and i only have $50 left in the bank. Thank god i dont have any dependents or i dont know what i would do.

Im just looking for some advice/support because i feel very alone in this whole matter. Everyone thinks im just a lazy deadbeat and it hurts deeply after ive tried so hard to achieve so many things in my life. I live in chicago so if you know of any good shelters or have any tips, it would be very much appreciated. I dont know how i will eat but i have an acoustic guitar with me and im pretty good so maybe ill be able to entertain for a little food or money. At least i would be doing something instead of just begging. Im really scared about this but its something that i have to do and i have no one to turn to.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

Re: Going homeless at the end of the month.. [Re: Blue_Apocalypse]
    #2882955 - 07/12/04 04:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

if it really comes down to it, there ARE shelters (im sure of it, big city like chicago) that you can turn to. what about parents, friends? you could be in a much worse situation--you could have no degree at all and still be broke.

just try getting any job you can for the time being. maybe move someplace that is less expensive to live in than chicago?

good luck man..things will improve for sure. biochemisty will treat you VERY well in the future

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #2882990 - 07/12/04 04:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That's extremely shitty. Seems a lot of people who have decent qualifications sometimes just can't find a job. Don't feel like a deadbeat loser because you KNOW you aren't. You've worked hard for the last few years and it's just bad luck.
Do as Toad suggested - try and find family/friends who can give you shelter in meantime while you search for a job. Even if it means working a menial unskilled job to help them out with rent and food. At least that would give you money in the meantime while you keep an eye out for a job in your field. It sounds pretty low, but it won't be permanent.
What also pisses me off is student debt. The nationwide student debt here is disgusting. And they put huge interest rates on top it. So it basically makes it harder for students to get ahead, even though education was supposed to make it easier. Maybe once you get a job, speak with some of your family/friends and see if they can help you pay the debt off. It's easier to take a loan from your friends (as I assume they don't charge interest) rather than letting the student debt accumulate from interest.
Try not to end up on the street, because it will be even harder to find a job when you haven't showered for days and you don't have any clean clothes for the interview.

Anonymous #1

Re: Going homeless at the end of the month.. [Re: Sheepish]
    #2883007 - 07/12/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, what about parents and relatives. i'm sure that they would be understanding. there's really no reason to be homeless. someone's always willing to help out.

if its pride thats keeping you from asking people for help, don't let it get in the way of things. sometimes ya just need to bite your tongue and swallow that pride.

OfflineBarbi
Plastic Person

#2883214 - 07/12/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You should be job hunting online at places like monster, dice.com etc.

A degree should land you a job regardless. I'm in the IT field, which is by far worse off then every other field on the planet in the last 6 years and ive still managed to remain employed slightly.

Worse case scenario, its time to get a job at the local shopping center/kmart/circle K/7-11/ etc to PAY THE BILLS while you look for a real job.

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
    #2883243 - 07/12/04 06:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Working at MacDonalds is better than being homeless. work there until something else come's about.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #2883515 - 07/12/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Blue_Apocalypse said:
Im just looking for some advice/support because i feel very alone in this whole matter.

You are not alone! Many of us have been through hard times.

You need to learn how to play the (I am broke) game! (In my best southern accent) So I guess I need to teach this young'n how to play.

The first thing you need to do is to through your pride out the window! You will never get anywhere unless you ask for it! This includes ending every interview with a firm handshake and asking when you can start! It may seem forward but it shows you want the job.

So how to stay living on 0 income.

How late are you on your rent? (1 month, 2, 3)
Have you spoken with your landlord?

I have found that if you talk to the landlord and let them know what is going on they can often work something out!

There is welfare and food stamps! Go apply the worst that can happen is they say no!

Have you tried filing for unemployment? If not go try! While you are there try the employment commession they normally have some jobs listed.

I know that many of us are not Christian but try going to a church! They many times have a donation closet overflowing with stuff and no needy people to give it to. I once went to a "southern Baptist" church and told the preacher my hard luck story. I left with 6 bags of groceries and $100 to help me out. I have also found that if you go to the church on the following sunday and sit up front where the preacher can see you he many times tells your hard luck story to the congregation or asks you to come forward and tell your story. They will inturn pour out prayer and cash to help you out. I once netted a cool $1194 doing this. You can also try the food banks, Around here several of the churches have banned togeather to create food banks to help the needy.

Call your local city government number they can often tell you where you need to go to get assistance.

What about the school you just graduated from, do they have employment assistance, or other assistance programs?

Last but not least, Where I am security guard companies will hire anyone with out a criminal record. They pay just a little over minimum wage but they will work you 12 to 18 hour shifts 7 days a week. It is crap work but the overtime helps make ends meet.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
Re: Going homeless at the end of the month.. [Re: Cyber]
    #2883648 - 07/12/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks a lot for all the support guys, i knew my fellow shroomerites would be able to help me out. :smile:

Moving in with parents or friends really isnt an option partly because of pride i guess, and some other reasons. Im going to get a minimum wage job as soon as possible, it wont be enough to afford shelter but at least i will be able to eat and that is the most important thing.  Im not really keen on taking handouts and thats kind of why im in this position.  I know if i keep working hard ill get through this, its just going to be weird not having anywhere to go home to lol.  Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, i feel a little bit better being able to talk about it rather than just having to do it on my own.

Offlinehinky
Stranger
    #2883721 - 07/12/04 08:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Are there any hostels there in Chicago? I'm not sure of what parts of the country have them, but this seems like a good solution to your problem. A hostel is a place that you can have a bed (or cot) and acess to a shower and food by paying a very small price as long as you pitch in with the chores.

I know you said that you do not like taking handouts but if worse comes to worse, you can always go to the local Department of Human Services and file for emergency food stamps just in the meantime.

We wish you the best of luck and will be praying for you,

Hinky and Hinky's wife

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2883771 - 07/12/04 08:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Try this webpage for resources:

http://www.sparesomechange.com/

Download this 'zine for tips:

http://www.crimethinc.com/downloads/drop.html

Good Luck!

--------------------
hey, that douchebag, tyke, just made a post. let's go flame 'im!

Offlinefelix
 User Gallery

#2884886 - 07/13/04 03:15 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

with a bachelors degree, you can get ALOT of different jobs very easily. see if you can find a temporary employment agency. they can hook you up with a good job. or maybe some sort of staffing agency. check the phone book.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
    #2888387 - 07/14/04 02:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Camp!

OfflineSeppuko
Sprite

Loc: teh intarweb
Re: Going homeless at the end of the month.. [Re: Grok]
    #2888547 - 07/14/04 03:47 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cilosyb said:
Camp!

Hey, as crazy as that sounds, it might not be so bad.

I mean, just buy a small, cheap, portable tent. bring a suitcase and set up for a sleep at night on the forest (some place you know you wont get messed with, that is) then pack up in the morning.

Beats sleeping on an alley :/

I live in a suburb of Chicago, wish I could help ya but I dont think family would approve >_<

Good luck

--------------------
if I mention anything about the posession or production of illegal mushrooms, I am making it up.

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2888684 - 07/14/04 05:16 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hey man, i have a little advice from an experience somewhat like yours, my friend and I stayed for 7 days in a mission, the first seven are free. Then we signed up for work at a Temporary agency (this was in Jackson, Wy, we had to transportation) the first 3 days we filled out a total of 38 applications apiece, and only landed one job, working at the local pizza hut. We were able to eat at work, and then we just camped for shelter, and were able to save 700-800 a month! it turned out to be some of the greatest times in my life. Just go into it knowing it is only temporary, but but try and work 12+ hours a day. It's not easy, but youll get through it. Good luck!

P.S. you know how hotels have hot tub rooms? they also have showers there! make sure you use them, if your not staying at a shelter, hostiles are usually way to expensive, so dont bother, go to missions (im not religious but its free and they feed you, and give you a place to stay and shower!)

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

Edited by KreeprCeepr (07/14/04 05:18 AM)

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
    #2895548 - 07/15/04 11:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Seriously, I would probably camp in your sitution. A friend of mine camped for 3 MONTHS straight out of high school, and he picked morels and went to town every week or so to sell them, and actually made decent $ doing this. Don't know if theres morels in your area though. Regaurdless of what happens, I hope things work you for you...thats gotta be unsettling.

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Going homeless at the end of the month.. [Re: Grok]
    #2896575 - 07/16/04 10:23 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, you can do what I did when I dropped out of law school. I had to get a job fast so I made a fake resume saying I was a four star waiter at a bunch of places a few states removed and then I started jobs. Ususally in food service you get hired on the spot, so I ahad a job very quick. I got fired pretty quick too because I sucked, but after a couple jobs I got the hang of it and started making some paper. Later, I bartended, then started cooking, and that's what I do now. The point is that in a do or die situation you can always make up a fake resume and broadcast it and get a food service job. Don't go out on the street man, I know a guy who owns a very popular local webdesign firm which has many sites up, and he still runs food at a restaurant. We all do what we gotta. In foodservice I've known actors, writers, ex-stock traders from Wall street, webdesigners, and all sorts of other people including scientists. I knew one bartender who had four Phds. I guarentee that if you take this step you'll be working in no time. Then you'll have the leisure to pick and choose your next move. Best Wishes.

--------------------
...or something

Invisiblemycopsycho
Tit Inspector.
Male
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Going Nowhere Fast
    #2899461 - 07/17/04 09:26 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

i was homeless for a little while too (like 2 months). during that time i went to work during the day and slept in my car at night or at a friends house if they were inclined to have me as company. i'll tell you, if you have to sleep outside, be very careful. i parked my car out in the middle of nowhere in a corn field and someone still found me and robbed me at gunpoint. life is harsh, deffinately. you just gotta roll with the punches and kick'em in the nuts when possible. the biggest thing you have to remember is to not stress out too much. if you let it get to you, then your finished, so just keep on top of it! good luck and i hope you find a good job and a place to lay your head!

--------------------
I Am The Sickness.

Diploid: I think adults have a right to make stupid decisions and it's nobody else's fucking business.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2901403 - 07/18/04 12:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wasn't going to post, because I'm sort of embarassed about my situation, but okay, here goes...

I went through a divorce about 2 years ago. Due to various circumstances that existed during my marriage, I was left with nothing. That was okay, but I basically became homeless. Me, an attorney.

I did what I had to do to keep going. At various times, I have lived in my office, with friends, and I have even on occasion stayed with my ex. I have slept in my car a few times.

But at no time have I let anything interfere with my calling, which is the practice of law. I love law. I just maneuver my job to fit my situation.

Okay, I'm just going to tell you what I do, and maybe you will see that it CAN be done.

I keep several suits hanging in my car. I have them dry cleaned every two weeks.

I have several locations where I can print documents and make copies, and I drive them to court myself and file them.

If I have to meet with clients, I always suggest a restaurant or coffee shop.

See, I have to pay money for child support, and for storage of all my personal belongings, which is all the stuff I had left over from my marriage, and which I don't want to give up.

I have to pay for my car, and insurance, and stuff like that.

I belong to L.A. Fitness, and I work out and take showers there.

If you become "homeless", it's not a big deal. It's what you do with it. I am homeless, but I have been to fancy restaurants, I have gone to court lots of times, I always dress well, and I act as if I have a home and all the things that people have, when they are not homeless.

None of my clients know that I am homeless. Homelessness is a state of mind. Get a P.O. Box. Find a friend who will let you use their address for a residence address. Get a cell phone and use it for all intents and purposes. Get rid of extras that you don't need. Figure out how to live out of your car without looking like you live out of your car.

And never tell anyone that you are homeless. Again, it's a state of mind, and a state of being. People judge you by how successful you are. If you give the appearance of being unsuccessful, no one will want to associate with you. If you act as if you are on top of the world, everyone will want to use you.

I admit that I am fortunate. I have a lot of potential. Most recently, I found an attorney who was willing to give me office space in exchange for appearances. In the meantime, I am looking for a job as a waitress so that I can start saving money for a yellow page ad so that I can start advertising again by next March. In the meantime, I keep hooking up with people. And the money I make practicing law I use to support myself and my kids.

Talk to people about work, about what you need, without going into details about how you are homeless. Do what you have to do to survive.

You know what? Look into going to school. If you are at the right income level, you can go to school and get government grants and loans. That would help you to support yourself while you are creating a career that would support you when you are done with school.

I guess I'm just saying that you can be homeless and still be successful at life. It's attitude. Adjustments.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offline777
Stranger
    #2946651 - 07/30/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Its things like this which infuriate me about how backwards and dysfunctional this society is. A person who has worked so hard and has so much ability shouldn't be poor while, idiots who can barely tie their own shoes are monetarily wealthy.

Personally, I think you are going to be okay, but you're definitely going to have to move someplace else cheaper. The Big US cities are darn near impossible to stay afloat in, the jobs don't pay enough and the rent is far too expensive. The Big cities are fun, but the price of living there just isn't worth it.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#2946784 - 07/30/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

I'm homeless right now. I'm really enjoying it. I have extremely low expenses considering I'm hitchhiking, staying at friends places along the way and aquiring most of my food by dumpster diving. My situation is definitly different than yours, mainly because I knew that I was going to be homeless before it happened, I was prepared for it and I definitly know I have places to sleep in most places I go.

I don't know what specific advice I can offer you that is relevant to your situation. I guess that all I can say is that there is absolutely no shame in being poor and homeless... couches can be comfy, and dumpsters are often full of good and often quite fresh food. I eat better now than I ever did when I paid for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale