Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebloo_honee
Not Paranoid
The Holographic Universe
    #2887694 - 07/13/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Have you read this book? Written by Michael Talbot. What are your thoughts on it? I love the book.

--------------------
I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: The Holographic Universe [Re: bloo_honee]
    #2887703 - 07/13/04 09:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

sounds trippy, what are some of its main topics/premises? if it sounds interesting maybe ill pick it up.

Offlinebloo_honee
Not Paranoid
Re: The Holographic Universe [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2887752 - 07/13/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I copied this from Amazon, if you want more info I'll let you know

Author Talbot writes that ". . . there is evidence to suggest that our world and everything in it. . . are also only ghostly images, projections from a level of reality so beyond our own it is literally beyond both space and time." Hence, the title of his book. Beginning with the work of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, both of whom independently arrived at holographic theories or models of the universe, Talbot explains in clear terms the theory and physics of holography and its application, both in science and in explanation of the paranormal and psychic. His theory of reality accommodates this latest thinking in physics as well as many unresolved mind-body questions. This well-written and fascinating study is recommended for science collections.
- Hilary D. Burton, Lawrence Livermore National Lab., Livermore, Cal.
Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From Book News, Inc.
Talbot explains the theory advanced by U. of London physicist David Bohm and Stanford U. neurophysiologist Karl Pribram that despite its apparent tangible reality, the universe is actually a kind of three- dimensional projection and is ultimately no more real than a hologram, a three-dimensional image projected into space. Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or.

Book Description

Today nearly everyone is familiar with holograms, three-dimensional images projected into space with the aid of a laser. Now, two of the world's most eminent thinkers -- University of London physicists David Bohm, a former protege of Einstein's and one of the world's most respected quantum physicists, and Stanford neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, one of the architects of our modern understanding of the brain -- believe that the universe itself may be a giant hologram, quite literally a kind of image or construct created, at least in part, by the human mind. This remarkable new way of looking at the universe explains now only many of the unsolved puzzles of physics, but also such mysterious occurrences as telepathy, out-of-body and near death experiences, "lucid" dreams, and even religious and mystical experiences such as feelings of cosmic unity and miraculous healings

--------------------
I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #2887794 - 07/13/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

sounds amazing, im picking it up next time im at a bookstore, if i can find it.

Thanx for the tip

hmm... i dont usually spell thanks with an x, but hell ill indulge myself this time

:stoned:

Offlinebloo_honee
Not Paranoid
Re: The Holographic Universe [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2887838 - 07/13/04 10:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Haha there you go. I hope you do find it. When I bought it I bought the last copy...It's not really a new book or anything. I hope you enjoy it and that it grows on you. Keep me updated!

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2887919 - 07/13/04 11:00 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I read it a few years ago and agree with most of his conclusions.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinebloo_honee
Not Paranoid
Re: The Holographic Universe [Re: Jellric]
    #2887980 - 07/13/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #2888697 - 07/14/04 05:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well I wouldn't say it's a bad book at all, it has some very amazing stuff and an interesting theoretical point of view. But throughout the book, Talbot lists a bunch of phenomena that mainstream science can't explain, among which he mentions Sai Baba's 'tricks'. Sai Baba is an Indian guru who managed to raise quite an impressive following in the latest decades, among other things by 'materializing' all kinds of stuff in his hands, just out of thin air. He was eventually debunked beyond any doubt as a complete fraud and sex maniac... the usual guru thing, one might say.
Then you start wondering if every piece of 'evidence' Talbot provides is as trustworthy as Sai Baba. Of course, some are compelling, but I wish the same kind of book had been written by a somewhat less naive author.

NOT a bad book though, mainly for explaining Bohm's and Pribram's theories, non-locality and the like.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
    #2889059 - 07/14/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There was an article about this theory in New Scientist not so long ago, if you search their website you might be able to find it. But I bet a search for "holograms" and "universe" on the website of a popular science magazine might bring up quite a large number of irrelevant results...

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2891387 - 07/14/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think I can prove it is a holographic Universe with a few answered questions.

Sounds like a good book...havent read it, but I agree with the title :smile:

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Edited by psyka (07/14/04 09:17 PM)

Invisiblephalloidin

#2891855 - 07/14/04 11:43 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, I was halfway through this book when I decided to take a nice soothing bath. I fell asleep and woke up with the book in the tub with me. fuck. Have to get another copy. Fascinating read though.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2892288 - 07/15/04 03:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I haven't read the book, but I do like the idea that compressed within the smallest "thing" is the reflection of all things

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineMithril
Among Other Things

Re: The Holographic Universe [Re: Strumpling]
    #2900722 - 07/17/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yah, the author Talbot comments on the theories of Karl Pribram, on the holographic memory storage, and the theories of David Bohm, a theoretical physicist.

Pribram thinks memory is stored throughout the brain, holographically, in the sense that the whole is contained within every single part. There have been interesting experiments done during which part of the brains of small creatures (eg. salamander) have been removed and resectioned. Pribrams research draws on this data.

Bohm is represents a tradition in modern physics of a rejection of the copenhagen interpretation. Quantum objects, such as photons, can be modelled using particle-models and wave-models, and they act differently based on whether one is observing them or not. (Huygen's double slit experiment.)The copenhagen interpretation (who's main proponent when it was first introduced was Niels Bohr), claims that we can only make meaningful assertions about the observed universe. and hence when photons take on particle form. Bohm represents a rejection of the view that we should only speculate into what we can observe. Bohm posits two orders: the Implicate and the Explicate orders. The implicate order is composed of an enfolded phase space of infinite potentiality, which Bohm refers to as consciousness itself. Through the, non-local in 4-D space-time, interaction of stratified, static attractors of different powers of influence located in this Implicate order, the explicate order: the observed, unfolded, manifest world of concrete particulars, comes morphologically into being.

What the underlying message of the book is is that the whole is contained within each of the parts. Hence, any event that has ever occured is retrievable if one knew the right methods of navigating higher-dimensional space. There are people out there who claim to be able to access a bell-non-local continuum of information. Two people come most immediately to mind, other than the extravagant number of psychics claiming access to the akashic records, first and foremost Dr. David Hawkins, an expert in the fields of consciousness, one who has been knighted for his research into the effects of applied kinesiology, who claims that the kinesiologic response to certain stimuli represents a link between the linear and the non-linear domains. (www.veritaspub.com), if interested, the other that comes most immediately to mind is Remote viewers such as Ed Dames, who were involved in the US gov't psychic spy units, and who claim that they can gain information about the future with 100% accuracy, hahahah their future is an interesting one too...hahah...

Any comments/corrections are highly appreciated.
-j

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies