Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: Kremlin]
    #2907294 - 07/20/04 12:52 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I got to participate in a mental-health study a few years back. I had several MRI scans taken of my brain to be compared to a male of similar age/educational background who suffered from schizophrenia.

I learned two things:

1) I don't have schizophrenia :smile:
2) I seem to have an abnormally high percentage of "grey matter" brain material. Both the tech and the professor doing the scans were surprised by it.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: trendal]
    #2908350 - 07/20/04 12:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

there ya go

everyones brain can vary quite a bit.  Doesnt necessarily affect performance, its just the way it is :smile:

--krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblemantis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bunker Alpha, GMC Flag
    #2908390 - 07/20/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

That's awesome, thanks for the pictures! I know schizophrenics have enlarged ventricles but I've never seen just one enlarged... did I mention I don't know shit about this subject, just vague memories from psych101 :laugh:

This page explains it a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventricular_system

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2908418 - 07/20/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've always wanted to see what my brain looks like. I wish there was an easy way to get a personal scan like that for my own personal education on the subject.

Just imagine what neurology could do for people. Would it be possible to screen people for schizophrenia so they could help themselves avoid it from surfacing?

I always get a bit freaked out when I see the inner works of the human body because it seems so fragile to me, but I know that?s not true for the most part. I did apply for a job at a head-injury trauma center, so I did get to see how easily things could go wrong, but for the most part the human body is really amazing it?s functioning.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: Twirling]
    #2910369 - 07/20/04 09:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

well you couldnt "screen" someone for schizophrenia just with a brainscan.

The main reason is that schizophrenia itself is a phenotype, its an expression of a genotype that occurs under certain environmental conditions.

So a brainscan isnt going to show you that, because im sure there are people out there with large ventricles who are perfectly normal.

But it would be amazing, eh :smile:

The human body is definately amazing in its functioning.  Thats why im a neuro student...i like dealing with the command center :smile:

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2912074 - 07/21/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Kremlin said:
The human body is definately amazing in its functioning.  Thats why im a neuro student...i like dealing with the command center :smile:

The Kremlin, if you will? :wink:

I'm interested in going for a degree in neurology after I finish the psych. route. I can't wait to learn about the stuff you're doing.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: Twirling]
    #2912915 - 07/21/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

im actually still a psych undergrad student with just a minor in neuro. But this is my senior year coming up, and im about to publish my first neuro paper with my lab, so i think i'll definately be applying to neuro grad school this year.

--Krem

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblesmurfette
cubie cutie

#2913269 - 07/21/04 06:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

whoa...is this fatal?

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: smurfette]
    #2914490 - 07/22/04 12:06 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hah by no means :p

or at least i hope not :X

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #2919770 - 07/23/04 08:55 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Increased ventricle size is a sign of aging.
As you age, you brain decreases in mass and the ventricles grow larger, taking up space that was once held by brain matter.
Increased ventricle size is also a symptom of dementia :crazy2: :tongue2:

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: look at my fucked brain [Re: blink]
    #2920625 - 07/23/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hahaha

i cant wait to see what my brain will look like at 60 if its already dementing at 21 :P

I wonder what my heart looks like.....

--Krem

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies