Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
What should be done with these jars?
    #2886522 - 07/13/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

My friend has 6 1L popcorn jars colonizing. Five of them are about 90+% and one is lagging way behind, about 5-10% the last time she checked.

She is conflicted about what to do with the jars. The original plan was to use 4 jars to spawn to the 20L of horse shit she has ready to be pasteurized and spawned, and the remaining jar to do g2g's to the 10 WBS jars she prepared yesterday.

The thing is that she hasn't had much success in the past with WBS and is wary of the sacrifice of her popcorn jars. Also she has never done bulk/used manure before.

She does however, want a harvest as soon as possible and a fairly significant one at that, so it will last the summer for her and her friends.

She was considering casing 3 of the colonized jars and using the remaining 2 to g2g to the WBS, and using that to spawn (b/c of the much higher inoculation point ratio than popcorn) the manure for her indoor bulk and a (2nd priority) outdoor patch.

What are your thoughts on her situation? What would be the safest bet?

She thanks you in advance!

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: What should be done with these jars? [Re: no-tone]
    #2887229 - 07/13/04 08:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Since your goal is to get enough shrooms for your whole family during the rest of the summer ( :smile: ) , here's my safest bet for you.

Don't waste everything with bulk since you never tried before. I would bet your first bulk project would fail (you might be succesful but it's always a gamble when you try something new).

Here's what I would do :

Make 2 casings in a small pan with 1 quart of popcorn each.  Use the rez-effect technique to maximize your yield.  Rez effect if basically mixing 2 parts of substrate with 1 part of sterile filled to capaticity vermiculite (means really moist).  Case it with whatever you want, coir works fine and fruit.  You should get around an ounce dry with these two casings, maybe more. 

There is a really big rez-effect thread in the Growlog section created by Starter a couple months ago.  Search for this for more infos about rez-effect.

Now, you will have 3 or maybe 4 quarts left (depending on that slow one).  You can use 1 or 2 quarts for a bulk project using that horse poo you have.  Bulk really worths a try.  Maybe you should go with 2 small bulk projects instead of 1 big one using both quarts.

Keep at least a jar for some Grain to Grain with your WBS.  If you have plenty of spores left, just inoculate (3 days longer compared to G2G) and case that last Quart.

That's how I would do it.  Small rez-effect casings are always a safe bet.

good luck!

.fs.

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: What should be done with these jars? [Re: fIsh in my head]
    #2889163 - 07/14/04 12:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Having taken what you've said into consideration, this is what my friend's tentative plan is:

1. Use some really nice looking (Eq.) mycelium she has on agar to transfer to 2-3 new plates and use the remaining to make mycelium syringes for her WBS jars.

2. She originally had planned to use 2 20L tubs with 10L of manure each for the bulk. Now she seems to think that one (10L rather than 20L, mind you) will suffice for the time being. Do you think she should just stick with the 1:10 ratio for spawn? At this time she has 5 jars colonized (pretty much), so she could even use 2 jars to make the ratio 1:5 for faster colonization.

3. This would leave her with 3-4 jars of colonized popcorn she could case.

Also, what are the average yeilds for a first time moderately successful bulk grow per litre of substrate (horse manure). I know its difficult and not accurate but I'm just curious...
Thanks on her behalf

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
Re: What should be done with these jars? [Re: no-tone]
    #2890581 - 07/14/04 06:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

1. Use some really nice looking (Eq.) mycelium she has on agar to transfer to 2-3 new plates and use the remaining to make mycelium syringes for her WBS jars

Here ya go!!  :thumbup:

Quote:

2. She originally had planned to use 2 20L tubs with 10L of manure each for the bulk. Now she seems to think that one (10L rather than 20L, mind you) will suffice for the time being. Do you think she should just stick with the 1:10 ratio for spawn? At this time she has 5 jars colonized (pretty much), so she could even use 2 jars to make the ratio 1:5 for faster colonization.

It's up to you.  Myself I prefer using more spawn.  I never calculate the exact ratio but it's probably around 1:5.  I like when it goes fast so I can induce fruiting.  Making spawn is so easy anyway so it's not really a waste in my point of view.

Quote:

Also, what are the average yeilds for a first time moderately successful bulk grow per litre of substrate (horse manure). I know its difficult and not accurate but I'm just curious...
Thanks on her behalf

You said it, you just can't guess.  If I were you, my only goal would be to be able to harvest some fruits from my first bulk project.  Stamets says that a bulk grow using at least 5 inches of substrate should give around 2 to 4 pounds  of fresh cubensis (73g to 146g dry) per square foot of cropping surface.  Personnally, I was never able to get these kind of results so far.  I did around 10 bulk projects so far and lost at least 5 of them to contamination including my first one.

My best bulk project was 100% straw in a milk crate (around 1 square foot of surface) and harvested around 3 ounces dry at first flush.

So hey,  it really worths a try and sorry if I always talk about failure because i'm so used to it haha!  But I know some people who seems to be really good at this whole thing and have success very fast.  I hope it will be your case!

.fs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Paul Stamets, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation