Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Loc: C A N A D A
asthetic sense
    #2885274 - 07/13/04 11:00 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i have been wondering about how we get our asthetic sense. like if its given to us buy what we learn as children. or is it somthing our mind picks up. and why nice things to one person can be very different or identical. why are yellow birds prettier then brown ones?semetrical ,unsemetrical. it all facinates me. and did early humans appreciate pretty things. or just until there was artists to show us what was nice. when you eat hallucinagens you see geometric patterns. and we live in a world of these shapes now. but before our world with straight lines. is that what people saw when they tripped? so is this semetry imbeded in our brains as nice?

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Edited by the man (07/13/04 01:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Re: asthetic sense [Re: the man]
    #2885646 - 07/13/04 01:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

anyone care to discuss or comment?

i remember watching a show on discovery that said that people that were considered very disirable had a certain semetry to there face.

peace

--------------------
http://www.fsrc.caand FSRE are now accepting edible/medicinal spores. please donate

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #2886111 - 07/13/04 02:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

ive heard that the attractiveness of a face is determined by how close that face is too a universal average. So, if you took a composite of a million faces, it would be more attractive than a composite of a hundred faces.

Or else maybe it all has to do with the GOLDEN MEAN! or wait is that golden Ratio? Fibonnaci sequence, etc etc

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
    #2886452 - 07/13/04 04:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i dont think symmetry is the word or process youre looking for.
psychedelics (mind manifesting) lets us see the patterns and complexity of our brain/consciousness visually, chaos theory and fractals is where its at in my opinion.
whats also interesting is that fractals where discovered at roughly the same time as lsd appeared.
have a look at the ideas and theories behind the julia fractal set and then the mndelbrot set.

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

#2886526 - 07/13/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the appeal to symmetry must be engrained in our minds. yes, symmetrical faces appear more attractive. symmetrical faces also belong to people who have symmetrical bodies. i believe that the same program you saw also mentioned that on average, people with symmetrical ears were able to run faster and more efficiently than people who weren't symmetrical. (their bodies are more physically able and thus do better in the wild) evolution tells us what we are.

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2886596 - 07/13/04 05:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think the key to aesthetics is balance with also incorperates symmetry. Like in art design you usually want to have both hot and cool colors so they balance out or highlight whatever features you want. If the distance between someone's eyes is out of proportion with the width of thier head we will think they are less attractive then someone whos eyes are more centered with respect to the sides of the head. I think the sense of balance gives us a sense of resolution that there is nothing missing or out of place.

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Re: asthetic sense [Re: Blue_Apocalypse]
    #2886609 - 07/13/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

so its agreed that thre is purpose why we liek symetry. it allows us to tell subcontiously who has better genes.

but what about not humans. art. like van gogh, his art is balanced but not nessasarly semetrical. and what about the apeal of colors and colors goign together..

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: asthetic sense [Re: toad857]
    #2886660 - 07/13/04 05:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, facial symmetry is why we find someone attractive. However, you'll find that a fairly symmetrical face with slight flaws is more attractive to the majority of people than a perfectly symmetrical face, the latter being considered plain or actually "boring" to look at. Moonshoe is also correct about attractiveness being close to the average appearance. Someone with a very original-looking face, even with good symmetry, might be considered ugly to many people.

However, getting back to the original topic...

Considering Aldous Huxley's 'control valve' model of interpreting reality, a preference for certain aesthetics is most likely a part of this limiting mechanism. I think everyone who's taken psychoactive 'shrooms will agree that even the most mundane and 'ugly' things look beautiful under the influence. :mushroom2: One time while tripping, I stared at a plain gray carpet in my apartment for 5 minutes because the incandescent light in the room made it seem the most beautiful pale blue color I'd ever seen, and I couldn't draw my eyes away from it. So I think 'ugliness' is just an illusion created by a part of our brains, most likely connected to the survival mechanism. After all, would we remember to eat if we walked around gawking at how beautiful everything looked?

Edited by Anonymous (07/13/04 06:50 PM)

Offlinethe man
still tappin caps

Re: asthetic sense [Re: ]
    #2886863 - 07/13/04 06:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

very interesting. yea things that are similiar just get blended into teh backroudn like a forest or somthing. and liek you said its kindof liek a survival thing. but i think its more of a effeciency thing for our brains. so back to the topic, how does our brain disifer from the "regular" and things that bring a feeling or appreciation.

peace

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aldous Huxley

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology