Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
The Seeds - "Tripmaker" (mp3)
    #2883411 - 07/12/04 06:59 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"This Los Angeles-based group was the inspiration of Sky Saxon (real name Richard Marsh) who formed them in 1965. Earlier out its included Sky Saxon and the Soul Rockers and the Amoeba. They were extremely popular locally and their records sold quite well. Their debut single Can't Seem To Make You Mine made little impression as did (You're) Pushin' Too Hard when it was first issued. Their music was raw and often simple, but Saxon's growling vocals, and their pummeling repetitive rhythms gave them a unique sound. When the debut album was issued a local DJ gave Pushin' Too Hard extended airplay and it was reissued climbing to No. 36 in the Billboard Hot 100. Their second album was also issued in the U.K. by Vocalion. It opened with the vibrant Mr. Farmer which became their next single, and featured rampant rockers like Rollin' Machine and Tripmaker and a few gentler numbers. The Seeds were now hugely popular in LA and appointed a new manager Tim Hudson who was apparently largely responsible for their nationwide success by pushing their flower power aspect at the right time. In fact, much of their music was punky and only the Future album can really be called 'psychedelic'. This was an 'over the top' production and the sleeve contained (apart from the record) cut out and paste drawings of flowers!

Rick Andridge recalls that their next album, A Full Spoon Of Seedy Blues was never meant to be a Seeds album which is why they went by The Sky Saxon Blues Band monicker. They never played any of those blues songs at any concert and Sky has said he recorded it to try and break their contract with GNP. Rick: "I did it because I learned to love the blues. I still believe to this day that it is one of the best albums we ever did. Really great for a group of white guys."

The Seeds name returned for the Raw and Alive album and two of the new tracks, on this credible blend of old and new - Satisfy You/900 Million People Daily Making Love, were issued as a 45 in a full colour art sleeve. It flopped but has now become the band's most collectable item. Sadly after one further 45, written by Kim Fowley, the band fell apart.

The band's demise came with the collapse of the flower power culture in 1969, although Sky Saxon has continued to record spasmodically since. He re-appeared for two disappointing singles using the same name 'The Seeds' in 1971 - Bad Part Of Town and Love In A Summer Basket. Slightly later a privately pressed heavy rock single, Shuckin' and Jivin' (Productions Unlimited 22) surfaced. He has also been connected with Ya Ho Wa 13 and recorded an album with them for Psycho Records in 1982. This was previously issued on an eight track tape. Only 300 copies of the Psycho issue were pressed and it is now deleted.

All of The Seeds' albums have subsequently been issued in Germany, by Line Records, including their 1977 compilation Fallin'Off The Edge (GNP 2107), which featured rare and previously unissued material.

Other items of interest to Seeds collectors will be Eva's 1983 compilation New Fruit From Old Seeds/Bad Part Of Town and Stary Ride Sky Saxon (Psycho 29) 1984, a mini LP. There's also a 1981 release Purple Electricity recorded live at the Cavern Club in 1986. The backing band includes members of Red Kross and The Primates. "

The Seeds - "Tripmaker"
From "Web Of Sound" (1966)

Here's a couple of tracks from The Dovers since you guys like them so much.......

The Dovers - "Your Love"

The Dovers - "People Ask Me Why"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: The Seeds - "Tripmaker" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #2883523 - 07/12/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks man. I've had the Seeds first two albums for a few years now. It's really good stuff. I first heard "can't seem to make you mine" by the Ramones on their Acid Eaters album and I fell in love with that song. I had to get the original. Share the love.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seeds - "Tripmaker" (mp3) [Re: ]
    #2883904 - 07/12/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, cool that you like The Seeds. I didn't even know that that song was on "Acid Eaters" until very recently as I never had that album. "Pushin' Too Hard" is another bad ass Seeds song that i'm sure you've heard. Do you have the "Future" album? That's supposedly their most psychedelic. As for "Tripmaker", I didn't know that that was a Seeds song. I've had the Fire Escape version for a year now and thought it was the original.  :smirk: Great song though. Any song from the 60's about a guy who makes LSD is a-ok by me.

Here's a couple of bonus tracks for you.......

The Chaparrals - Blues From A Jefferson Airplane
196?

Red River Dave - "California Hippy Murders"
Song about the Charles Manson murders from early 70's(?)

--------------------

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: The Seeds - "Tripmaker" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #2883916 - 07/12/04 09:00 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

This stuff is really intresting, I wish I had a better connection to enjoy more of it. Do you hear about alot of this stuff or just stumble accross it with an open ear?

You've covered more musical territory than I knew people have travelled.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: The Seeds - "Tripmaker" (mp3) [Re: Adom]
    #2884126 - 07/12/04 09:54 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

There's TONS of great psychedelia from the 60's that most stoners don't know about known as "psych" or "acid punk". Underground singles and albums by bands who for the most part, were always obsure. I'm relatively new to this genre myself compared to the guys who post on www.garagepunk.com/forums though. These guys make me look like an novice.

If you'd like to hear more of this type of music, I highly recommend going to http://weirdsville.com/radio.html . Listen to the "psych" show on Real Player. The only thing that sucks about that is there's a lot of non-60's junk and a lot of really weird stuff. But you can skip to any of the 1000(!) songs that you want.

Which songs did you think were interesting?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder