Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa * 15
    #28835699 - 07/02/24 06:30 PM (22 days, 49 minutes ago)

Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa
July 2, 2024 - Phys.org

Two new species of psychoactive mushrooms in the genus Psilocybe have been described from southern Africa, bringing the list to six known species indigenous to Africa. Psilocybe species are among the most well-known and well-studied species of psychoactive mushrooms in the world, with around 140 described species.

In a paper published in the journal Mycologia this week, researchers from Stellenbosch University (SU) and citizen mycologists describe the two new species as Psilocybe ingeli and Psilocybe maluti.

Psilocybe ingeli was first found in 2023 growing in pastureland in KwaZulu-Natal by Talan Moult, a self-taught citizen mycologist. Psilocybe maluti was first found on a Free State small holding in 2021 by Daniella Mulder, who sent photos of the mushrooms for identification to Andrew Killian, one of South Africa's leading citizen mycologists, based in Somerset West.

In both instances, the unusual-looking specimens were sent to Breyten van der Merwe for DNA sequencing and analysis in the lab of Prof. Karin Jacobs in SU's Department of Microbiology. Van der Merwe, now a postgraduate student in chemical engineering at SU, is a trained mycologist and first author of the paper.

The paper also contains information on the traditional use of P. maluti by Basotho traditional healers from the mountain kingdom of Lesotho. According to the researchers, this appears to be the only recorded first-hand report of hallucinogenic mushrooms being used traditionally in Africa.

Cullen Taylor Clark, a citizen mycologist and co-author, worked with Mamosebetsi Sethathi, a Mosotho traditional healer, to document the use of P. maluti (locally known as koae-ea-lekhoaba) in traditional healing practices. This forms part of a larger effort, led by Clark, to document the use of mushrooms by indigenous groups in southern Africa.

Van der Merwe says there are very likely more southern African species in this genus, and that more citizen scientists need to become involved: "These two species were sent to me by citizen scientists. It would be impossible for a single researcher to cover a fraction of an area these mushroom enthusiasts have access to. This is the only way we will be able to further studies in African mycology."

Prof. Jacobs echoes this sentiment, remarking, "There are only a handful of mycologists in Africa documenting local biodiversity. Considering the vast mycological diversity on the continent, it is a daunting task. Collaborating with citizen mycologists is therefore hugely beneficial. In addition to more material, collaboration also opens avenues for conversation and exploration, which can lead to documenting mycophilia (the love of mushrooms) on the African continent."

More information: B. van der Merwe, A. Rockefeller, A. Kilianc, C. Clarkd, M. Sethathie, T. Moultf, and K. Jacobs, A description of two novel Psilocybe species from southern Africa and some notes on African traditional hallucinogenic mushroom use, Mycologia (2024). DOI: 10.1080/00275514.2024.2363137

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Land of Enchantment
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie]
    #28835946 - 07/02/24 10:30 PM (21 days, 20 hours ago)

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State Land of Enchantment!

"Tell you what. It seems to me if somethin's ready for you to do somethin, it don't much matter if you're ready or not." - Charlie Utter

No makin funna my pomes!

Offlinebling
Trans-female

Loc: Phillipines
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: curenado]
    #28836057 - 07/03/24 01:36 AM (21 days, 17 hours ago)

Encore ! 🔥

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: bling] * 12
    #28836367 - 07/03/24 09:27 AM (21 days, 9 hours ago)

I'm germinating ingeli soon, been a bit lazy with it.

These are all South African.

:hotdamn:

Big thanks to zifozonke for these.

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 3
    #28836394 - 07/03/24 09:48 AM (21 days, 9 hours ago)

That's awesome, DERRAYLD. Good luck with the grow!

The Psilocybe maluti, shown growing on cow manure, looks very unique and interesting. It may be hard to get a regular spore print from those, maybe a swab. But I'm guessing they might be as easy as a cube to grow, as it also growns directly from dung.

Hmm, I wonder how strong these two new mushrooms are.

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie] * 4
    #28836402 - 07/03/24 09:56 AM (21 days, 9 hours ago)

Apparently the Ingeli is currently the strongest Psilocybe tested to date.

The Maluti is definitely incrediy unique looking, well worth the grow for sure.

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 1
    #28836415 - 07/03/24 10:19 AM (21 days, 9 hours ago)

"Apparently the Ingeli is currently the strongest Psilocybe tested to date."

Wow, that's amazing. Looking forward to the growlog and the trip report too.

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie] * 15
    #28836416 - 07/03/24 10:21 AM (21 days, 8 hours ago)

I hope it's okay for me to post this but it's cultivated Ingeli

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #28836420 - 07/03/24 10:25 AM (21 days, 8 hours ago)

They are beauties! :super:

OfflineDreamStoneLFOD
 User Gallery
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie] * 1
    #28836644 - 07/03/24 01:46 PM (21 days, 5 hours ago)

Friggin Awesome. 🤘☮️🤘. Natalensis was incredibly interesting for me. Can't wait to see these spread around.

--------------------
Peace🤘

Offlinelabbar
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DreamStoneLFOD]
    #28839582 - 07/06/24 05:06 AM (18 days, 14 hours ago)

looks beautiful
I'm curious about the temperature at which they grow

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 1
    #28840751 - 07/06/24 11:02 PM (17 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:

Wow that's cool, I didn't know that anyone outside of SA has it.  Should fruit like subtropicalis since it's in sect. Zapotecorum.

Quote:

Quote:

veggie said:
The Psilocybe maluti, shown growing on cow manure, looks very unique and interesting. It may be hard to get a regular spore print from those, maybe a swab. But I'm guessing they might be as easy as a cube to grow, as it also growns directly from dung.

Initial attempts to fruit P. maluti were unsuccessful, should be possible though.  It also probably can be crossed with cubensis and natalensis.

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
Apparently the Ingeli is currently the strongest Psilocybe tested to date.

Whoa cool, how strong was it?

InvisibleElVatoFirme
The Thread Killer™

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 2
    #28841420 - 07/07/24 02:21 PM (17 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:

These are all South African.

:hotdamn:

Big thanks to zifozonke for these.

I'm not saying get a move on it, but....get a move on it! :lol:

Only playing, of course. I'm glad that you have some in your possession, I know they aren't wasted in your hands.

The Shroomery needs some ingeli! I hope I'm still frequenting this place once they start getting passed around 'round here haha.

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 4
    #28842040 - 07/08/24 01:08 AM (16 days, 18 hours ago)

I'm from South Africa Alan, that's why I have these prints thankfully.

We're working to get them out internationally,  it's just a pain but I am working on it.

OfflineBoomBoom
Nuke worker-Its a blast!
Male User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 3
    #28842072 - 07/08/24 03:14 AM (16 days, 16 hours ago)

Very cool! That P. Mulati in the dung pic bottom left has a Phrygian Cap. I love it when new species are found and thinking about how many more are out there undiscovered!

OfflineMr. Toxic Waste
Sour confectionary
Male

Loc: Scotland Flag
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie]
    #28842088 - 07/08/24 04:21 AM (16 days, 14 hours ago)

This is an exciting discovery! I wonder who the first to cultivate Ps. maluti will be and how easy it’ll be to grow. Very exciting though, glad to be able to say I’m here at the start of the discovery of these species ahah

--------------------
“Everything has a life, it has its own life and is simply beautiful. Life now feels like a journey taking us into something so much bigger than ourselves. I’m in love with the world and its contents, I finally understand all of the people who love this and live for this. It’s so much more than just hallucinations for me, it’s an emotional and psychological journey. This is truly the most beautiful experience I’ve ever had.”

28th of September, 2023

"Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind, possessing and caressing me,
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns it calls me on and on, across the universe…”

-John Lennon

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: DERRAYLD] * 2
    #28842130 - 07/08/24 05:59 AM (16 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
We're working to get them out internationally,  it's just a pain but I am working on it.

✋ 'Raises hand'. Kindly put me on the list when available.

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Initial attempts to fruit P. maluti were unsuccessful, should be possible though.  It also probably can be crossed with cubensis and natalensis.

That is interesting. Perhaps that would produce a hybrid that more readily sporulates.

I find the section in your paper regarding traditional use quite interesting, about the local Basotho healers using P. maluti to 'foresee the future' when mixed with Boophone disticha, a hallucinogenic plant used as a hunting poison. Info that has been passed down for generations.

I'm familiar with the Tassili 'Bee headed shaman' cave painting from 8,000 years ago. It is fun to think that maybe it was the P. Mulati being used all those years ago.

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery

Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: veggie] * 2
    #28842149 - 07/08/24 06:28 AM (16 days, 12 hours ago)

That Boophone disticha addition intrigued me as well because I'd never heard of it before the article.

We focus a lot of our knowledge on Aztec or more international esoteric history but South Africa obvious also has a very deep heritage and a history of plant based medicine.

I know Amanita is also widely used and datura and brugmansia have been used extensively as well.

We're just scratching the surface here, hell the Knysna forest elephant hasn't been spotted for centuries, I think at best a blurry photo through trees yet they have conclusive evidence the hurd still roams the forest.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #28845348 - 07/10/24 03:43 PM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

DERRAYLD said:
I'm from South Africa Alan, that's why I have these prints thankfully.

So cool to hear that there's a new strain and not only that, but one of you guys has the prints. I can't wait to see the fruits. Make sure you make plenty of spore prints so that you can pass this on!
:cool:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Noah's Ark - Love In

OfflineMr. Toxic Waste
Sour confectionary
Male

Loc: Scotland Flag
Re: Two new species of Psilocybe mushrooms discovered in southern Africa [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #28845373 - 07/10/24 04:12 PM (14 days, 3 hours ago)

Maluti looks very unique. Nothing like any other psilocybe I’ve ever seen. I wonder what it would look like when cultivated, and who will be the one to do it.

Also, I wonder who the first to trip on them will be!

--------------------
“Everything has a life, it has its own life and is simply beautiful. Life now feels like a journey taking us into something so much bigger than ourselves. I’m in love with the world and its contents, I finally understand all of the people who love this and live for this. It’s so much more than just hallucinations for me, it’s an emotional and psychological journey. This is truly the most beautiful experience I’ve ever had.”

28th of September, 2023

"Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind, possessing and caressing me,
Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns it calls me on and on, across the universe…”

-John Lennon

Edited by Mr. Toxic Waste (07/10/24 04:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate