Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Intervention Strategies....
    #2882347 - 07/12/04 03:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have this friend who i've known since highschool who has been plummeting into the abyss of addiction for a few months now and he really needs some help. Me and some of his other friends have tried talking to him and telling him, in a few different ways, that he is going way over board and needs to quit what he's doing. Nothing seems to get through to him though, he won't listen to us.

What he does is takes insane quanitys of whatever pills he can get his hands on and then drinks non-stop (he's an alcoholic btw) until he passes out. For instance, he'll take 2 OC 80's and a couple klonopins and then go to a bar. fucking idiot...I realize that if we don't help him, then it's just a matter of time before he dies. It's a tragedy waiting to happen esspessially since he has a 2 year old son.

What i need to figure out is how do i make him see that he's going to die if he doesn't stop doing this every single night? We've tried talking to him one on one, but that's not working at all. So i'm thinking there has to be a group effort from his friends and family to try to force him to listen to us and make it so he can't blow off concern as just something one person said to him. We want to let him know we're all really worried and some how get him to stop, but none of us our sure how to do it. I don't think he'd go to rehab and i'm not even sure if it's an option because i don't think he has health insurance or anything like that.

Another problem is that i live an hour away so i don't get to see him that much anymore which makes it impossible for me to try to restrain him from doing certain stupid things. The guy has zero willpower, that's his problem...and another one of our best friends is about to move away in about a month so we know we need to do something fast before he's stuck there alone with nobody but a bunch of pill heads.

Does anyone have any experiance dealing with situations/people like this? And what is the best course of action to take to try and help my friend? His family is super fucked up and pretty poor right now so i don't think rehab will be affordable. I know he's physically addicted at this point and the withdrawls will be bad, so what the hell should we do? I really need some advice on this because i'm really worried he's going to go to sleep one night and never wake up. So if anyone knows the best strategy to approach this somewhat delicate situation i'd really like to hear it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Intervention Strategies.... [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2883026 - 07/12/04 07:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Friends who are addicted is a hard situation. It's pretty common that whoever is addicted won't listen to anyone unless they themselves know they have a problem and want to fix it. My method is to just let them sort it out themselves - harrassing them to quit seems to makes things worse. But in this case it's tricky, because the guy has a kid.
Hopefully he will learn the hard way and survive.
You could probably try talking to him and ask him about his life and how it's going. Perhaps there is a reason he is doing that to himself.
Other than that, I can't suggest much. Good luck though, hope he pulls through.

Loc: S.W. Virginia
Re: Intervention Strategies.... [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #2883312 - 07/12/04 08:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

you are in a tough situation. The problem is his. He has to want you to help before anything can be done. There's not much anyone can do until he's ready to face his problems. Just be there for his family. they need you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being