Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack
    #2878346 - 07/11/04 02:55 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Story

U.S. Mulling How to Delay Nov Vote in Case of Attack
Sun Jul 11, 2004 02:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A senior House Democratic lawmaker was skeptical on Sunday of a Bush administration idea to obtain the authority to delay the November presidential election in case of an attack by al Qaeda,

U.S. counterterrorism officials are looking at an emergency proposal on the legal steps needed to postpone the presidential election in case of such an attack, Newsweek reported on Sunday.

"I think it?s excessive based on what we know," said Rep. Jane Harman of California, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, in a interview on CNN?s "Late Edition."

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge warned last week that Osama bin Laden?s al Qaeda network want to attack within the United States to try to disrupt the election.

Harman said Ridge?s threat warning "was a bust" because it was based on old information.

Newsweek cited unnamed sources who told it that the Department of Homeland Security asked the Justice Department last week to review what legal steps would be needed to delay the vote if an attack occurred on the day before or on election day.

The department was asked to review a letter from DeForest Soaries, chairman of the new U.S. Election Assistance Commission, in which he asked Ridge to ask Congress for the power to put off the election in the event of an attack, Newsweek reported in its issue out on Monday.

The commission was created in 2002 to provide funds to states to replace punch card voting systems and provide other assistance in conducting federal elections.

In his letter, Soaries wrote that while New York?s Board of Elections suspended primary elections in New York on the day of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, "the federal government has no agency that has the statutory authority to cancel and reschedule a federal election."

Homeland Security Department spokesman Brian Rochrkasse told the magazine the agency is reviewing the matter "to determine what steps need to be taken to secure the election."

Republican Rep. Christopher Cox of California, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee, told CNN that the idea of legislation allowing the election to be postponed was similar to what had already been looked at in terms of how to respond to an attack on Congress.

"These are doomsday scenarios. Nobody expects that they?re going to happen," he said. "But we?re preparing for all these contingencies now."

Haha. Good try Bush. There?s no delaying the inevidable. YOU?RE GOING DOWN!!!!!!! :lol:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (07/11/04 02:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: Learyfan]
    #2878619 - 07/11/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No need to pray to God though, they'll cater to it themselves, they've been preparing this for a while, this is just another step toward military takeover, who knows?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2878642 - 07/11/04 04:00 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Step 1: Suspend elections
Step 2: Declare martial law

Or they'll just combine the two into one quick step :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2879007 - 07/11/04 05:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've been mulling this over and while I don't like it.... what would you do if a 9-11 type attack was succesfully pulled off on, say Chicago.

The city shuts down like NYC did. What do you do? Continue with the election thereby leaving the city unable to cast votes? Do you postpone the vote? Do you delay the tally of the votes if that's even constitutionally possible? (I'm note sure, does anyone know?) Federal and state election law may also not allow for a delayed vote.

Interesting article. It'll be interesting to see what our "experts" come up with.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDieCommie

#2879051 - 07/11/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I dont mind if the election is postponed, as long as the current term still ends in Janurary.  (Of course the election would have to be held before then :wink: )

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2879939 - 07/11/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I've been mulling this over and while I don't like it.... what would you do if a 9-11 type attack was succesfully pulled off on, say Chicago.

The city shuts down like NYC did. What do you do? Continue with the election thereby leaving the city unable to cast votes? Do you postpone the vote? Do you delay the tally of the votes if that's even constitutionally possible? (I'm note sure, does anyone know?) Federal and state election law may also not allow for a delayed vote.

While I'm no lawyer or politician (ultimately, it's up to them), I'd say proceed with the election (Bush wanted shopping to continue after 9/11, I don't see why he'd treat voting any differently) and if Illinois' votes even matter after the rest of the states tally up, THEN allow for a delayed vote/count.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineRedo
CTA

#2881273 - 07/12/04 05:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

They never said they would delay the inauguration date did they?

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2881305 - 07/12/04 06:16 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

So much for the "Live your life like you've always" claim eh?

This is a pathetic political move that would be worse than if an actual poll got attacked.

Quote:

Haha. Good try Bush. There's no delaying the inevidable. YOU'RE GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

While I admire your spirit, I have to question your perspective on reality. Bush will beat Kerry but the real losers will be the American people no matter who wins between the two.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (07/12/04 06:28 AM)

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #2881531 - 07/12/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ad additional bit from this week (July 19) Newsweek:

American counter-terrorism officials, citing what they call "alarming" intelligence about a possible Qaeda strike inside the United States this fall, are reviewing a proposal that could allow for the postponement of the November presidential election in the event of such an attack, NEWSWEEK has learned....

As a result, sources tell NEWSWEEK, Ridge's department last week asked the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel to analyze what legal steps would be needed to permit the postponement of the election were an attack to take place. Justice was specifically asked to review a recent letter to Ridge from DeForest B. Soaries Jr., chairman of the newly created U.S. Election Assistance Commission. Soaries noted that, while a primary election in New York on September 11, 2001, was quickly suspended by that state's Board of Elections after the attacks that morning, "the federal government has no agency that has the statutory authority to cancel and reschedule a federal election." Soaries, a Bush appointee who two years ago was an unsuccessful GOP candidate for Congress, wants Ridge to seek emergency legislation from Congress empowering his agency to make such a call. Homeland officials say that as drastic as such proposals sound, they are taking them seriously?along with other possible contingency plans in the event of an election-eve or Election Day attack. "We are reviewing the issue to determine what steps need to be taken to secure the election," says Brian Roehrkasse, a Homeland spokesman.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlineld50negative1
lethal dosage

#2881582 - 07/12/04 09:42 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

and only bush-consipracy theorists would see that as a way for Bush to win... right... if anything that would LOSE him votes... someone would have to be really stupid NOT to take precautions... because its happened before and definetly can (and probably will) happen again

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #2881622 - 07/12/04 09:55 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Tactics of a 3rd world dictator... :thumbdown:

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #2881652 - 07/12/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's a conspiracy! If terrorist don't attack Bush is overreacting and fearmongering and if they do he must have put them up to it! Seriously why attempt to protect the electoral process...

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2882829 - 07/12/04 03:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

it's plausible and reasonable, but still a historically frightening idea...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #2882940 - 07/12/04 04:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Dead people in Chicago have been voting for quite a long time.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2882941 - 07/12/04 04:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Mostly for democrats.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: JesusChrist]
    #2883099 - 07/12/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes. It's common knowledge Chicago is a hotbed of democratic voter fraud.

That doesn't change the questions. simply substitute the city of your choosing.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2883164 - 07/12/04 06:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It's funny you say Chicago, the Sears Tower could be the target since it's the tallest building in North America right now. It's 110 stories high just like the Twin Towers were, and check out the address - 233 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606 . Yes, that's 666 without the zero's. Also, as many of you know, the WTC towers were sold by MetLife Inc. just months before the 9/11 attacks, and now..."Insurance firm MetLife Inc. has agreed to sell the 110-story Sears Tower in Chicago, seven months after buying out its partner to gain full ownership of the building."  Also, the buyers of the WTC, Lloyd Goldman, Joseph Cayre and Jeffrey Feil, are rumoured to be the buyers of the Sears Tower as well!

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

And I have one more thing to throw in here: there is a new Chicago Tower being planned for construction, it would be 111 stories high, and would become the tallest building in the world....

Of course I hope these minor coincidences amount to nothing but for the record, I will say that if there is to be another terrorist attack on American soil, the Sears Tower is a posible if not likely target.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: chodamunky]
    #2883189 - 07/12/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

And if bright and early election day there is an attack in Chicago and the city for all extent and purpose shuts down.... what then?

Delay the vote? Or not?

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2883213 - 07/12/04 06:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think the clear choice is to delay the vote.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Bush wants to delay election if there is an attack [Re: afoaf]
    #2883257 - 07/12/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Let's examine the options and fallout.

Vote continues - Bush has now "stolen" the election and disenfranchised many.

Vote stops - Bush has now "illegitimately" held on to power.

How the conspiracy nuts will howl!
How many of the "lefties" here will howl!

Now, obviously the right choice is to delay the vote despite the screams and howls. How do you do it though? I'm not aware of a constitutional way to do so. (if anyone has the answer to that I'd love to hear it) So the vote must be delayed, yet how can it be done legally?

Interesting conundrum. It's sad we live in a time when this even needs to be talked about. Although I guess it should have been thought about years ago. Say for a major earthquake or other disaster.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom