Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
ok, i have a small casing that has recently (in the past 2 days, since i last dunked it and didn't use sterilyzed verm for the new casing layer, stupid me) been overtaken with cobweb mold.. at least i THINK that's what it is, since it has wispy white strands all over it, and tiny black pin-prick sized dots scattered throughout them.
anyway. it was next to a mycobag that i birthed in my terrarium. i'm not completely worried about the birthed mycobag getting contaminated until I see signs of it. i was wondering, though, what i should do with this casing now that I've pulled it from the fruiting chamber.. it has several decent-sized pins that could mature within a day or two.
should i let them grow? would they be safe to consume? if not.. could i still salvage them as they are now, as in.. pick them and dry them as premature mushrooms instead of just letting them rot?
i'm planning on burying the cake outside in some mulch to let it do as it will, but I'd like to at least get whatever I can from it first..
Cobweb is not deadly per se but if ingested it might intoxicate your guts and you can end up with a damn diarrhea. You can also be allergic to it, but i don't believe allergy to cobweb is deadly if ingested in small amounts. What can be done ? Well, first of all you should pick the mushrooms, carefully scrap the contaminated top layer and apply a new verm layer (sterilized please ). Spraying the casing with a water:peroxide mix also helps alot. If you ever see any cobweb growing back, make a hole in the backyard and toss the casing there. Btw, there are some outdoor guides in the FAQs ...