Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineopenyoureyes
Stranger
A never ending fruiting substrate?
    #2879351 - 07/11/04 09:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well here is an experiment I will be trying within the next few weeks.
But first some background. Lets use a straw block as an example. You spawn the straw and it flushes out and lets say you have used all the nutrients on one flush. Now that all the nutrients are gone and it is no longer able to produce shrooms, what will happen to the straw? Will it contam or will it just eventually dry up and do nothing?

Now with the experiment. So I had this idea to make a wick system which carries nutrients and water to the straw block. So if the straw doesn't contam then you have pretty much made a "fruit tree" which produces fruits endlessley so long as you keep your wicking system in operation. The experiment is to take some rope and thread it through some rubber hosing like you can get at a pet store for fish tanks. Make lets say 7 of these ropes in tubing. Now take these and thread them through the bottom of your milk crate so that the tubing stops about 1" inside the bottom of the crate and you still have 7" or so of rope exposed. Now take your straw and start packing it into the crate as you usually would if you were making a straw block and run the rope all throughout the straw as your packing it in. Now on the bottom of the milk crate you will have your 7 dangling ropes in tubing. Now get a jar that you will use to hold your nutrient water and make 7 holes to accept the tubing. Glue the tubing in place so you seal them off. Now you can remove the tubing on the underside of the lid so you have nothing but rope there. Screw lid onto you jar full of nutrient water and viola. A nutrient water wicking system. The only reason I was thinking of putting the rope in tubing is just in case the rope would contam because it will be carrying the nutrients. But who knows? Oh, and I don't know what type of nutrient water you would use. I was just going to try straw water. Maybe straw and poo water?

Or if sraw contams then what other substrate could you use that wouldn't contam? Cardboard? Newspaper? Who knows.

So has anyone heard of this being tried or tried it? Any ideas or input?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNikion
Stranger
Re: A never ending fruiting substrate? [Re: openyoureyes]
    #2879603 - 07/11/04 11:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

if i know my physicis right, that wont work, water will move along the wick because of (forgets name of property) but it is unlikely that it will carry a sufficent amount of nute's with it... perhapps u could use some fourm of gel like nutes, and just grow in gel and then just suck the old out and inject some new every so often?...

Offlineopenyoureyes
Stranger
Re: A never ending fruiting substrate? [Re: Nikion]
    #2881698 - 07/12/04 12:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm. Ok. Thanks for the info. How about a drip system then. Something like an IV drip that you see at hospitals.? Have it drip right into the middle of the "cake". This will be real neat if it works.

openyoureyes

Offlineragadinks
MrBeatle
 User Gallery

#2882765 - 07/12/04 05:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The idea sounds good. But I think it won't be that easy to make things work.
You will have to get rid of the harmful metabolites and keep the PH at a certain level.
It could work with a liquid mycelium culture - but with the fruiting bodies of mushrooms it's definitely more difficult.
Stamets says in his book GGMM that SRA are growing very well on soil where the sewage is running through underneath. Kind of hydroponics :wink:.
If you try it out keep us updated. Think that would really be a very interesting topic.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2883809 - 07/12/04 10:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

what do you plan on using for your "nutrient drip"??

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Offlineopenyoureyes
Stranger
Re: A never ending fruiting substrate? [Re: mycoguy]
    #2886377 - 07/13/04 04:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

For the nutrient drip I was thinking of just saving the juice that you get after soaking your hay and manure in a tub. I wouldn't know, but just for safe measure perhaps one would need to add a little H2O2 to the "nutrient juice" so it would keep. And maybe the nutrient juice would need to be diluted with a little water?

openyoureyes

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #2886780 - 07/13/04 06:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

openyoureyes said:
For the nutrient drip I was thinking of just saving the juice that you get after soaking your hay and manure in a tub.
openyoureyes

In GGMM, Stamets says that the water after two pasteurization cycles will hamper mycelial growth and is actually an organic herbicide.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Paul Stamets, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms