Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Loc: Vancouver, BC
Newbie question on thought loops
    #2878185 - 07/11/04 03:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys!

Sometime in the next while I'm planning my second mushroom trip. I previously tried 1.6 grams, and it's quite possible I'll up the dose a bit this time.

In another post I was reading, someone who seemed to be a veteran tripper said that thought loops could be a negative, but that they were easily overcome.

Can you guys help me out in explaining thought loops, how they can be negative and how best to deal with them? During my first trip, I did have a few recursive thought processes, but they were more on the order of "I've got to phone my friend" which became overwhelmingly important and hard to get out of my head.

However, I'm somehow intuitively assuming that these aren't really what constitutes a thought loop.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Newbie question on thought loops [Re: Tranceport]
    #2878324 - 07/11/04 04:42 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

it means that you have the same thought over and over again. if it's an unpleasant thought it sucks.
best thing to do when having a thought loop is changing music, go for a walk, go do something different.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2878734 - 07/11/04 06:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The best way to stop a negative thought loop FOR ME is to stand up and get a glass of water, and to make sure not to try and go to sleep pre-maturely.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Newbie question on thought loops [Re: Strumpling]
    #2878753 - 07/11/04 06:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

They're usually fun for me. I'll be thinking so hard and so deep, then burst into laughing because of the sheer stupidity. I've done it many times before, so laughter's synonomous with thought loops now. :grin:

A friend of mine's plagued by thought loops. He's a smart guy, but his only fault is that he over analyzes some of the dumbest things at times. I find myself reminding him to kick back and have a good time when we shroom, he'll usually drop it after that.

Are you shrooming with buddies? I'm assuming that you are. Well, if you ever start having loops like that, advise your friends and make some silly code up. Any time you start gooking out on a loop, do 10 pushups or run into a wall or something. The sky's the limit. :smirk:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Newbie question on thought loops [Re: browndustin]
    #2878850 - 07/11/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

"over analyzes"

That you have it.

edit: During my trips, it can be difficult to tell how much brain-power I should allocate to which processes, so I can end up over or under-analyzing things for hours on end.... I don't think its all that fun while its happening, but looking back these kinds of experiences have been very profound for me

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (07/11/04 06:49 PM)

OfflineTranceport
Traveler
Loc: Vancouver, BC
    #2879344 - 07/11/04 09:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the replies! This gives me some good ideas!

From what's been described, I once got stuck in a thought loop while on MDMA. It was such a stupid thought. I was at an after hours club dancing and was pretty much astrally projected during the peak of a hefty dose of MDMA. A girl walked by, and I noticed she had her hair put up in braids.

It seemed like an eternity while that thought looped in my mind, "That girl had braids, that girl had braids, that girl had braids, ad infinitum." I became acutely uncomfortable but seemed powerless to stop it. It wasn't until my buddy touched me and started talking that I got 'unstuck'.

OfflineBonez420
8=======8

Loc: out of my element
    #2881318 - 07/12/04 08:42 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah my only experience with thought loops so far (3 trips) has been 'positive' ones. Things like "Everything is right with the world". I will never forget that from my first trip. I couldn't stop thinking it and it was a beautiful thing.

--------------------
"Many times I've lied - Many times I've listened,
Many times I've wondered how much there is to know."
-Led Zeppelin (Over the Hills and Far Away)

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #2881515 - 07/12/04 11:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Even good thought loops can be bad, and good, and bad, and good at the same time - on my most intense of all mushroom trips, everything was clear to me, the universe had opened up its doors to my mind and I lay on a couch for hours babbling variations on "everything's so clear...and tomorrow this will all be over" to the point where it was pure insanity...

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience