Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

SVO diesel
    #2876850 - 07/10/04 11:59 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i learned something interesting a few days ago.you can run a diesel motor with straight veggie oil (SVO). you do need a small regular or bio diesel tank to start with and run before shut down. basically, the veggie oil wont fire via compression unless the motor is up to temp. so, you run diesel until the motor is at operating temp, then switch to regular old veggie oil. basically, you go to a fastfood restaurant and get some used grease (SVO) and put it in a barrel. after a few days, psyphon of all but the bottom 4" into another barrel. repeat a few times to get all the major particles out. install a filter inline with your new veggie fuel tank to catch the small particles. finally, instal a tank switch in the cabin of the vehicle and you're set.

i am actively seeking a diesel car right now to test this with. i'll let you guys know the results.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Happy Mutant

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: SVO diesel [Re: automan]
    #2876991 - 07/11/04 01:09 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Interesting, I didn't know you could run SVO through a diesel. Let us know how it works. :thumbup:

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: SVO diesel [Re: Le_Canard]
    #2877244 - 07/11/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

It's very straightforward to turn SVO into biodiesel

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: SVO diesel [Re: zeta]
    #2877337 - 07/11/04 04:35 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

indeed it is, but it is safer and easier to just run the SVO.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2877461 - 07/11/04 07:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm aquainted with someone who has done so using used veggie oil. Works pretty well but when driving behind him you get very hungry. Smells much like french fries.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2879349 - 07/11/04 09:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Something else to add to the off-grid project :wink:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: SVO diesel [Re: trendal]
    #6038670 - 09/07/06 04:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

hey automan, did you ever want to go through with this project?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblesever
Where am I?
Re: SVO diesel [Re: ZippoZ]
    #6039738 - 09/07/06 10:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I know a guy who has an old bullet style bus that can start up on and run on straight vegetable oil. He doesnt need a seperate tank at all.

During the late spring/summer/early fall the engine fires up just on the veggi oil. Pretty amazing.

Diesel engines these days are probably near impossible to fire up on straight veggi, even on the hottest days, so a seperate take with diesel is required (or the extra step of making biodiesel), but this old bus starts up fine. When it get colder out, he cuts in regular diesel to thin it out.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #6042465 - 09/08/06 10:50 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Thats what the whole principle of Biodiesel is, that you can run it straight. Most of the times it will require filtering to remove all the particles that might clog up the injectors or fill your cylinders with junk. Sure you have to have regular diesel to get it going, but it is supposedly cheaper, however, when anyone opens a restaurant, there is usually a company in every town that will empty the grease traps for free, because it is illegal to just dump the old oil down the drain. Another prohibitive factor is people who live in colder areas. If it gets cold enough, diesel will turn into a slush because of its low freezing point.

I'm sure you could go to a fast food restaurant and just steal the oil from their grease trap, but I'm sure someone else comes out regularly to empty it for them.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: SVO diesel [Re: daussaulit]
    #6043548 - 09/09/06 09:36 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

not really... biodiesel is refined svo, you need lye and a fairly large set-up to clean it up/make it useable.

the whole principle of svo is that you can run it straight

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: SVO diesel [Re: Krishna]
    #6044475 - 09/09/06 04:36 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

So whats the point? I don't remember veggie oil being any cheaper.

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: SVO diesel [Re: daussaulit]
    #6044492 - 09/09/06 04:48 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

non-reliance on petroleum?

when really examined from an economic point of view, bio-diesel is not feasible as a sustainable petroleum substitute. it certainly is an interesting project for an individual to function "off the grid", but that's about it, in my mind..

--------------------

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: SVO diesel [Re: Krishna]
    #6044848 - 09/09/06 09:45 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

one cool thing about diesel vehicles, they run fuel through engine compartments and circulate it back through the gas tank to prewarm the fuel. also, the german u boats ran off of soybean oil. back then diesel was considered a useless by-product of crude oil.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #6047154 - 09/10/06 06:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I've always wondered if it would be possible to render biomass fuel from human waste.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: SVO diesel [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #6047243 - 09/10/06 06:33 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

actually you can use human waste to feed algae that can be turned into bio-diesel........

and also collect methane form human waste as well

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #6048293 - 09/10/06 11:22 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

yeh, i also saw the other day that the ice caps have methane that they are releasing at an increasing rate. they said it was a bad thing caused by global warming but i was thinking, hey, good thing, energy source!!! go global warming giving us energy.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: SVO diesel [Re: iateshaggy]
    #6048354 - 09/10/06 11:51 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

not really, there is no economically viable way to capture the methane being released from the caps, as there isnt any to collect it from landfills, as well as cow farts.....

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleLanaM
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #6053266 - 09/12/06 02:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I don't mean to hijack this thread but have any of you read about thermal depolymerization - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization

I was reading up on this a year ago when I heard of a company using turkey guts to make gas!

http://www.designnine.com/news/?q=taxonomy/term/19

"A three year old Philadelphia project to turn waste into gas, oil, and minerals has been so successful that the EPA and private investors are putting money behind expansion of the effort. One of the new sites will be in Missouri, near a turkey processing plant. The energy recycling plant will turn 200 tons of turkey guts into 10 tons of gas and 600 barrels of oil. The gas is used to power the plant, which is 85% efficient."

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: SVO diesel [Re: iateshaggy]
    #6053279 - 09/12/06 02:08 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, bypass fuel is used to cool the injectors. It goes back to the tank so that new, cool fuel can be taken in with each injection. It would take a long time to heat a tank of fuel with bypass alone. SVO cars need to have all kinds of heaters and stuff installed.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: SVO diesel [Re: Lana]
    #6053302 - 09/12/06 02:16 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Lana said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread but have any of you read about thermal depolymerization - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization

I was reading up on this a year ago when I heard of a company using turkey guts to make gas!

[url=http://www.designnine.com/news/?q=taxonomy/term/19]http://
www.designnine.com/news/?q=taxonomy/term/19[/url]

"A three year old Philadelphia project to turn waste into gas, oil, and minerals has been so successful that the EPA and private investors are putting money behind expansion of the effort. One of the new sites will be in Missouri, near a turkey processing plant. The energy recycling plant will turn 200 tons of turkey guts into 10 tons of gas and 600 barrels of oil. The gas is used to power the plant, which is 85% efficient."

Lana

yeah i was actually reading a 50 some page thread about that in the biodieselnow forums last night.

apparently some of their numbers were based on some bad data, but its still a viable option.... very interesting tech.
http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=829

crazy stuff

--------------------
PEACE

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Science and Technology