Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions...
    #2861821 - 07/06/04 03:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Alright shroomers,

I need some help.
I made this topic in this forum because i feel ill get better advice than in the advanced cultivation forum..

---------------------------------------------

First thing, i live in southwest florida, and it gets hot as hell.

I've got a house with a 1 car garage, and that is where my first grow room is going to be constructed.
-I want it to be about 5' by 10' and maybe 8' tall.

Now, i've been researching alot, but i just have too many unanswered questions..

My garage, is going to get pretty damn hot i have a feeling (i havent even moved into this house yet, not for a few more weeks), how am i going to cool that garage down to 65-70degrees (Oyster temps)?
-I was thinking about just getting a small AC unit, and running that thing in the garage (outside the growroom, and into the garage air), and then the growroom will eventually cool down enough.
--But from what i read in GGMM and TMC i think that a AC unit will actually dry the outside air out too much and cause the humidity inside the grow chamber to be too low. I dunno.
---Also it seems like running an air conditioner, might become quite expensive, maybe.
What should i do, what am i thinking?

-----------------------------------

Next thing, I don't know what to use to construct the grow room shell out of.. in other words, what the hell am i going to use to construct the grow room shell inside my garage like this?
-I was thinking of only having one door on it, so, also, what kind of door should i get? From where?

----------------------------

I have more questions, but would like to hear a few answers on these ones first. Tons of questions. My vision seems really foggy and unclear right now because i don't know how to construct this grow-room and out of what, and the building/rigging of the enviromental control system (fans, foggers, lights, filters, timers, ect.) has me perplexed so far..

Please help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions... [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2862265 - 07/06/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

frame out your walls and ceiling with 3x6 studs, use r30 insulation in the cavities, anf you'll have no problem cooling it, place a moisture barrier over the insulation and there is a plastic wallboard that can be cut with a box knife, line the walls with it, make sure you caulk under all the seams as well as around your base plate on your framing... you can buy misters that work well for humidity, if they are pleced near a sourge of moving air the heavier droples will fall before reaching your grow...

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2862356 - 07/06/04 06:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Use a couple bathroom fan exhaust systems. One on the roof on the inside and one on the bottom on the outside blowing inwards. And you can make an awsome mister by taking a pvc pipe and drilling a few holes in it. Then getting furnace oil misters. Run a hose to the pvc pipe and viola awsome mister.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2864707 - 07/07/04 11:24 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
frame out your walls and ceiling with 3x6 studs,

3x6 studs for a non-load-bearing wall??? I think that's a bit extreme.

2x4 studs aren't even needed for a non-load-bearing wall.
2x4's and sometimes 2x6's ARE used for load-bearing walls.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions... [Re: mycoguy]
    #2864899 - 07/07/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. More questions.

-----------------------

Im going to put 2 florescent light tubes on the ceiling, are there lights that are weather sealed, to make them safe from the humidity and not cause any electrical fires or anything?

-------------------------

I was thinking about adding a 'fogger' to the room, for humidity.. so it is going to be humid and wet, and where do i get a fan (is a small bathroom fan going to be big enough?) that is weather proofed from the humidity? i don't want any electical fire/problems..

--------------------------------

Ok, and to clean down the grow-room i would use a bleach solution and then spray the room down afterwards with a garden-hose (and have a drain at the floor of the room for the water), do i permanantly rig this hose inside of the grow room?? I was thinking about getting a small utility sink set up in my garage and then connecting a hose to it and then have the hose built into the room so that i wouldn't have to bring a possibly contaminated hose into the room everyday, right?? isn't the water coming from the hose going to pose a certain amount of introducing contaminants?

------------------------------

Also, i figure i will have to construct a floor with drainage, but (since this is in my garage) where am i supposed to drain the water to? I wouldn't want to have bleach-water in my lawn it would probably kill all the grass, right? where/how do i drain the water out to?

--------------------------------

I suppose 2x4's would be good for constructing the ceiling and walls, and 2x6's and plywood wood be good for the flooring.. ok got that.

----------------------------------

Another thing, i was at the hoem depot and saw a fan (i think it was called the blizzard) and the fan was variable speed and also had a temperature unit in it also, would that type of temp control suffice or should i just get a small AC unit to cool down the garage..?
-Where would i go about finding a "cooling coil"?

-------------------------------------

I was thinking i would have a type of pre-filter and then a electrostatic filter for filtering what goes into the growroom.. basically i need to know should i also have a hepa filter for the air entering the room? could i just use a hepa filter Machine and knock down two birds with one stone (hepa filter and fan)?

-------------------

What do i use as tubing overhead in the growroom to distribute the air equally?

---------------------------

My questions sound half braindead to me, im not sure how to phrase these questions correctly.. hope you can all help answer them!!
:heart: :smile:

Offlineazcrash
    #2865670 - 07/07/04 03:58 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

wow lots of questions.  how humid is it over there?  you may want to look into evaporitive coolers..... if its not too humid over there you could use that for cooling, and it also filters the air to a certain extent and it increases humidity.  So your killing 3 birds with one stone with that one :wink:   

Yah I would get a permanent hose set up in there.

For drainage, I would look into having wood pallets for your floor with plywood over the top of them... then have a drain hole with pvc tube running down and over to wherever you would like it to go (bucket, drain, or whatever). 

2x4 should be fine... if your going to be hanging big logs you may want better roof structure.

About the hepa filter, that is what I am going to do for my fresh air intake.

Those are my answers to some of your questions... not sure how much it helps.  Someone else will have to answer the others.  Keep us posted on how it works out!

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions... [Re: azcrash]
    #2868078 - 07/08/04 08:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

paint any and all wood surfaces thoroughly with marine paint... prior to assembly... you will be very upset later if you don't

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Building a Grow-Room for Oysters: Questions... [Re: debianlinux]
    #2868170 - 07/08/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Sage advice debianlinux. I overlooked that idea.

I've looked for marine enamel paint before though, with no luck...

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #2868797 - 07/08/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

here it is available at lowe's. any worthwhile boating outfitter carries it. at last resort it can be found on the net. marine-paint.com :smile: will send you a free catalog and their site has some decent information concerning the subject.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #2874467 - 07/09/04 09:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mycoguy said:
Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
frame out your walls and ceiling with 3x6 studs,

3x6 studs for a non-load-bearing wall??? I think that's a bit extreme.

2x4 studs aren't even needed for a non-load-bearing wall.
2x4's and sometimes 2x6's ARE used for load-bearing walls.

I meant 2x6 and no it's not extreme, R-Value... the thicker the walls the more insulation you can fit, the more insulation the better you can control the temperatures... cutting the inside/outside airflow helps as well...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2875079 - 07/10/04 01:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

exactly. You cannot compact insulation. It requires the airspace between fibers to work correctly. I also recommend using the blown in type or even better the foam type. As soon as fiberglass insulation becomes wet it is basically useless. One small slip in your sealing process could mean a bigger problem. If you need AC then I would recommend typical compressor/condenser types over evaporative coolers.

One other thing to consider is slightly raising the floor to install a drain to make washing easier. Seal it up real good to keep bugs out, but remember to have a filtered output for the air input...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#2875388 - 07/10/04 05:10 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

azcrash said:
wow lots of questions. how humid is it over there? you may want to look into evaporitive coolers..... if its not too humid over there you could use that for cooling,

dude, he's in Florida. Of course it's humid there.

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

#2875391 - 07/10/04 05:11 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

2x6's I can understand.

Offlineazcrash
    #2876409 - 07/10/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

There are plenty of non humid places in Florida.  I live in Arizona where everyone thinks it is soooo hot.  I do live in the hot area but in many other parts we get huge snowstorms, have ski resorts, and so on :smile:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #2876500 - 07/10/04 06:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yep, southwest florida is basically a dry place most of the time..
-It's just the summer months, it gets humid

The rest of the year, it's dry as a bone,
-Even if it rains, the sun sucks the water up immediately.

Sandy, and dry alot of the time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck