Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRedo
CTA

The CBC
    #2875300 - 07/10/04 03:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I came across the CBC broadcast for today, and I finally know first hand how distorting the news is. I thought CNN was bad...

CBC kept playing clips of the adminstration stating there was WMD's, then kept pounding it into my head that there is nothing found before and after the war. Then having CIA analysts coming on saying that the CIA and Tenet now are just scapegoats, letting the president off the hook.

This was after a 7 minute report on a girl that is lost in the middle of nowhere (that made the breaking headlines).

Is there any important canadian news besides anti-american news? Or is it unchecked news against the USA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshriek

Re: The CBC [Re: Redo]
    #2875348 - 07/10/04 04:11 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

canada just have the same type of news alot of other countries have, its same here in europe. its american news that is insane to watch, and luckily i live a place where a missing person also makes the head lines instead of some kid shooting other kids or shit like that, im glad that kind of shit doesnt happen around here. and anti america well who arent anti america today

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: The CBC [Re: shriek]
    #2875384 - 07/10/04 05:01 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The girl went missing the night before, and is just a missing persons case as of now, making headline news, followed by anti-bush news (anti-american may be a little too much to say I guess).

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2875627 - 07/10/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Did the news report lie?

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Re: The CBC [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2875730 - 07/10/04 10:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mixomatosis said:
Did the news report lie?

That's what I'm wondering, too...where's the "distortion", Redo?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisiblepB0t
I'm a teapot
Re: The CBC *DELETED* [Re: Redo]
    #2876078 - 07/10/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by pB0t

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: The CBC [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2877047 - 07/10/04 11:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The distortion is with the reporting on Bush, the girl that went missing the night before hitting as national news so fast is amazing to me. You guys have PLENTY more crime in your major cities then a missing girl to take the headline, im just saying what was reported.

I care more about the leaned Bush reporting.

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: The CBC [Re: pB0t]
    #2877399 - 07/11/04 04:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pB0t said:I do hate the CBC though. Government shouldn't be running TV stations.

I think you're thinking of the American stations.

The extent of the the Canadian government running the CBC is that they mandate a certain amount of programing has to be of Canadian origin.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: The CBC [Re: Kasumeat]
    #2877456 - 07/11/04 05:33 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The Fed's provide funding for PBS.They don't run any media.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: The CBC [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2877462 - 07/11/04 05:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
The Fed's provide funding for PBS.They don't run any media.

!!yes they do...its all a conspiracy...its all run by the jewz man dont be blind !! :stonedjerk:

InvisiblepB0t
I'm a teapot
Re: The CBC *DELETED* [Re: Kasumeat]
    #2878075 - 07/11/04 12:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by pB0t

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2878264 - 07/11/04 02:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Is there any important canadian news besides anti-american news?

So it is anti-American to tell the truth? Maybe you have a point...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleshriek

Re: The CBC [Re: Swami]
    #2878284 - 07/11/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

well you sure as hell can be concideret anti american by many americans by telling the truth sometimes:)

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #2878669 - 07/11/04 04:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pB0t said:Government shouldn't be running TV stations.

No, of course not. For profit companies should do the job.

The above statement was ironical. I'm afraid this specification is needed .

InvisiblepB0t
I'm a teapot
Re: The CBC *DELETED* [Re: Aldous]
    #2879306 - 07/11/04 07:22 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by pB0t

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2879325 - 07/11/04 07:32 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think the CBC is "run" by the government (though I could be wrong, I'm looking into this...) just that the CBC is heavily funded by the government. Obviously it is not entirely government funded, as evidenced by commercials.

Is there something fundamentally wrong with a government-funded television/radio network? Yes I know those of you who oppose just about anything that uses taxes will dissagree with it...so don't bother replying. My question is for those of us who don't have a problem with our taxes being used for public systems. As far as I know the CBC is not moderated by the government, except for the CRTC requiring a certain ammount of Canadian programming (which is not exactly "moderation").

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
    #2880373 - 07/12/04 12:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I support the repeal of all mandatory Canadian content laws and privatization of the CBC. Why? Because Canadian shows, movies, bands, etc. that are good can survive specifically because they are good. It's called a free market. Bad ones do not deserve to be propped up by the government. Lots of Canadian shows are absolutely awful and only stay on the air because of stupid Canadian culture policies.

what an obscenely simplistic understanding of media politics. The free market??? since when does that exist in the entertainment industry??? please do your homework before you post nonsense like this.

if you discover that the facts do not support your viewpoint, then you have been educated. If the facts do support your viewpoint, then that will only strengthen your argument.

but you should familiarize yourself with knowledge before publishing your opinion, their is nothing more contemptible than an uninformed opinion.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #2881145 - 07/12/04 03:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pB0t said:The CRTC is the body that regulates Canadian content in all media, not just CBC.

Yes, but the CBC has a more specific mandate to follow.

Quote:

pB0t said:CBC is heavily subsidized by the government.

So in conclusion: the government tells CBC what to air, and pays for it with taxpayer money.

This is the absolute worst point that the anti-pubic mediites make. It's so ill-conceived, it makes me feel dizzy. :P

Where do you think the money for private media come from? They just run their programmes with money out of their own pockets, not making profits, out of the goodness of their own hearts?

I have news for you. You pay for other media too. However, unlike other media, the CBC's cheif goal isn't to make as much money as possible, it's to "present a wide range of programming in English and French that informs, enlightens and entertains, and reflects Canada, its regions, and its multicultural and multiracial nature; to be predominantly and distinctively Canadian, and to actively contribute to the flow of cultural expression and to Canada's shared national consciousness and identity."* As a non-public corporation, every other broadcasting service's mandate is to make as much money as possible for their shareholders.

The government is using our money for our own good, not the CBC's.

But that's not all. Unlike every single private broadcasting institution, you have control over what the CBC broadcasts. Your government funds the CBC. You elect your MP.

Quote:

pB0t said:I support the repeal of all mandatory Canadian content laws and privatization of the CBC. Why? Because Canadian shows, movies, bands, etc. that are good can survive specifically because they are good. It's called a free market. Bad ones do not deserve to be propped up by the government. Lots of Canadian shows are absolutely awful and only stay on the air because of stupid Canadian culture policies.

Shows, movies, bands, etc., don't survive because they are good. They survive because they make money. For every awful Canadian production that's stayed on the despite being awful, there has been a good one that's stayed on despite being unpopular.

*http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/ac-ca/progs/ri-bpi/pubs/lincoln/03_e.cfm

OfflineRedo
CTA

Re: The CBC [Re: Kasumeat]
    #2881268 - 07/12/04 05:50 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Reporting is sopposed to be as unbiased or as objective as possible. I dont care who runs the CBC, I care about why is it so opinionated.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2881513 - 07/12/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

> Reporting is sopposed to be as unbiased or as objective as possible.

There is no money in unbiased and objective news...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale