Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

My Thoughts on the Tarot
    #2875194 - 07/10/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I recently bought the Aleister Crowley Thoth Deck Tarot Deck, which came with a book.  I have gotten more use out of them than originally expected.  I find them to be a great meditative practive, as well as a fun recreational activity.  I remember when I was a little kid and heard about Tarot cards and all the scams attatched to them.  But now that I have gained actual knowledge in the matter, I have come to understand the beneficial uses that can be achieved among certain divination decks, and the real magic in using them properly.  As I am becomming more aware of the numberous symbolism interconnected between the various cards, I am becomming aware of the various ways they can be used as an inner guide towards the paths I take in life.  The way I use them is definately not that of worshipping the physical cards as a definate path my life will pursue, but as a helpful aid to the possible outcome of certain paths that my life might take on if I make certain choices which I already have in my mind before I draw any cards.  The cards can only describe stories or archetypal themes through symbolism that represent my way of thinking at the quality of the moment and give me some advice on how to change my course.  They are not a definate answer, but rather a meditative guide like a mantra.  As I meditate on my higher self, I ask the Tarot for a more clearer perspective into the matter I wish.  And from there, the life I dish out is my own.  The karmic actions that pursue are all my own.  But I thank the Tarot so far in helping as an aid to my goal in walking the path of the tree of life, and am not planning on giving up anytime soon.  For it be a long path, but one that shall reveal many rewards when due time comes. 

Love to you all.
:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: Worldbridger]
    #2875279 - 07/10/04 02:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Check out the I Ching while you're at it.

It's stunning.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: Jellric]
    #2875295 - 07/10/04 03:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, the I ching is wonderful.  :smile:

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
    #2875352 - 07/10/04 04:18 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I like tarot. I prefer the basic Rider deck to Crowley. It's more exact in symbolism for those just starting off. If you really like tarot then the best lessons in the world are from The Builders of the Atydum. www.bota.org

--------------------
...or something

Edited by eve69 (07/10/04 04:19 AM)

OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: eve69]
    #2875375 - 07/10/04 04:49 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Aww, yes, the rider deck is of course a great basic divination deck to start out with. What deck you decide on shall be based on your own individual choice. I choice Crowley's deck, and I am an adept, not too advanced at the art. Yet, it has been a great deck for me. But this is just with my experience, knowledge and practice e.t.c. It will vary among individual to individual. There is no one right choice. Pick what inspires you, and what feels comfortable with you. I had already known a lot of the symbolism behind the thoth deck, and had read a lot of Crowley's readings, which is part of the reason I choice the Thoth deck. But the deck eve69 recommended is a wonderful beginners deck, I will definately agree.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: eve69]
    #2875421 - 07/10/04 05:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

eve69 said:
I like tarot. I prefer the basic Rider deck to Crowley. It's more exact in symbolism for those just starting off. If you really like tarot then the best lessons in the world are from The Builders of the Atydum. www.bota.org

I only use the crowley deck if there is a need to push avante guarde buttons.
the waite deck is clear and ballanced, the crowley deck has some of the same information but in an exciting twisted way that supports occult grinning more than gradual illumination of a more lasting sort.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2875575 - 07/10/04 08:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

For me, tarot is the only leftover from my former 'real' spiritual and mystical path. But it totally fits my adequates :wink:

I don't like Crowley, even if the cards are well painted and nice, but for me he spoils everything magical with bad vibes.
For clear, positive divinatory and ritual purposes i strongly recomment: William G. Gray's books. The one I have in german is based on : 'Magical Ritual Methods', by Samuel Weiser, 1969 (but the author is William G. Gray I think). I think, it's similar to the bota-link, but I haven't read it to the end...

Its a book about magical rituals, exemplary presented using the torah, kaballah, tree of life and the four-element system. A very large part of it is of 'binding' it into tarot.
Grey, by himself is member of some occult white order with experience in magic and mysticism.
A very positive and fundamental book, after reading that, you will be able to construct and practice your own rituals and spells by using the tarot-cards (the opposite of divination) :wink:
Best: You can make your own taror-cards after this system. They are strongly leaned against the 'calssical' order, but with some changes in it (especially the arcanes are not the same order). Own made cards, of course have a very special and personal energy-load, wich helps very very much !

Relly great and fulfilling.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2875895 - 07/10/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I came up with a great exercise but you have to do it before you read a lot about the cards.

Before you go to sleep, meditate or do a ritual with one of the cards. Put that card under your pillow and when you wake up, record any dreams/night-thoughts that you have. Repeat this every day with a different card until you go through the whole deck. When you are done, go back through a second time but this time you should read as much as possible about the card, its symbolism, and significance on the day that you are using it.

I discovered some amazing things through this excersize including the ability to subconciously connect the symbolism of the card with its deeper meanings and correlations without knowing much about the card beforehand.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: Blue_Apocalypse] * 1
    #2877447 - 07/11/04 05:23 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

that is an interesting and gentle experiment of discovery
I like it

OfflineWorldbridger
Nemo Lotus

Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2878134 - 07/11/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, it seems like there are a bunch of anti-Crowley people here. I am surprised. However just as a side not the images on Crowley's cards were painted by someone else, and the book for the cards are written by Gerd Ziegler. I have found everything about these cards very clear and easy to understand. The information about the different cards are not written in any occult fassion. I know there are seperate readings by Crowley about the Tarot that require a great deal of knowledge into occult magick. This book is written for all people to understand. Crowley has written things that are suited for everyone to understand with ease encase no one realised that.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2878865 - 07/11/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No problem. I have read not too much of him, also his thoughts about yoga and I simply don't like him. I should have to dig into this deeper, but on the other side, why should I, if I have found something which fits my 'liking' or adjustment better ? Just my humble suppose for an alternative. Perhaps to someone Gray fits better as it was like for me...

But the important fact is, that everybody should find his own external 'fitting' to get the best out of his own conclusions in praxis. So the experiment of blue_apocalypse is a great one.
Also, a lot of meditation over the cards does help, I think. As it is like to meditate over the 'tree'.
To combine the internal with the external... Only then, the roundabout works :smile:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineMiscusi
Upstate Chillin'
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canadas eh? Flag
Re: My Thoughts on the Tarot [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #2879503 - 07/11/04 08:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I own the Rider deck and the Witches Tarot, both great decks :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder