Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEd1
Impeach Bush?
    #2874354 - 07/09/04 08:40 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

If in your wildest fantasies Bush was impeached, resigned or just wasn't president anymore for some reason, vice president Cheney would become president. Here's a news article about him:

Cheney Defends Decision to Go to War in Iraq
Vice President Says Enemies Could Still Inflict Hundreds of Thousands of Deaths
By SCOTT LINDLAW, AP

WASHINGTON (Oct. 10) -- Vice President Dick Cheney said the United States still faces enemies that could inflict hundreds of thousands of American deaths in a single day, and he defended the Iraq invasion as a critical strike against such terror.

''We could not accept the grave danger of Saddam Hussein and his allies turning weapons of mass destruction against us or our friends and allies,'' Cheney told the conservative Heritage Foundation on Friday.

Cheney struck back at criticism of the Iraq war that has built over the months since Bush declared major combat over on May 1. His speech picked up where President Bush left off a day earlier, when the president told listeners in Portsmouth, N.H., ''The challenges we face today cannot be met with timid actions or bitter words.''

Yet Cheney offered no new evidence that Saddam posed an imminent threat as the administration claimed before the war. The vice president's 25-minute speech also largely dismissed the continuing violence in Iraq, the lack of broad international collaboration, and the failure so far to find any weapons of mass destruction, mentioning only in passing the ''difficulties we knew would occur.''

The vice president said, ''The ultimate nightmare could bring devastation to our country on as scale we have never experienced.''

''Instead of losing thousands of lives, we might lose tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands in a single day of war,'' Cheney said.

''Remember what we saw on the morning of 9-11. And knowing the nature of these enemies, we have as clear a responsibility as could ever fall to government,'' Cheney said. ''We must do everything in our power to keep terrorists from ever acquiring weapons of mass destruction.''

Cheney did not offer new evidence that there was any link between Saddam Hussein and the Sept. 11 attacks. But he cast the Iraq invasion as part of the war on terror. He contrasted the Bush administration's efforts to combat terrorism with what he called previous presidents' ''ad hoc'' attempts.

''President Bush declined the course of inaction, and the results are there to see,'' Cheney said.

''It would be reckless in the extreme to rule out action and save our worries until the day they strike,'' he said. ''If the threat from terrorists and terrorist states are permitted to fully emerge, all actions, all words and all recriminations would come too late.''

''That is the debate, that is the choice set before the American people and as long as George W. Bush is president of the United States, this country will not permit gathering threats to become certain tragedies,'' Cheney said.

His speech was the latest in a wave of public appearances and interviews top White House officials are using to answer critics of Bush's handling of Iraq. The president planned to conduct a half-dozen TV interviews on Monday.

Thursday, six months after the statue of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein fell in Baghdad, Bush said he was concerned that ''perceptions'' didn't reflect the reality of progress in Iraq. He spoke on a day when more than a dozen people, including a Spanish attache and two American soldiers, died in a fresh burst of violence in Baghdad.

''They're trying desperately to undermine Iraq's progress and throw that country into chaos,'' Bush said at an Air National Guard base in Portsmouth, N.H. ''They believe that America will run from a challenge. They're mistaken. Americans are not the running kind.''

Americans, he said, ''did not run from Germany and Japan following World War II.''

''We helped those countries become strong and decent and democratic societies that no longer waged war on America, and that's our mission in Iraq right now,'' Bush said.

10-10-03 1221EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEd1
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: Ed1]
    #2874357 - 07/09/04 08:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Again, this just goes to show that people who blame Bush for everything are just talking out their ass.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2874368 - 07/09/04 08:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

.. and people who are apologists for Bush have their heads firmly implanted up their asses.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineEd1
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: Evolving]
    #2874374 - 07/09/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not apologizing for Bush, Evolving, I'm showing your stupidity to you and others here.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2874384 - 07/09/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What stupidity? Because I am not a slavish boot licker of the current administration like you? Why don't you demonstrate to everyone here how 'brilliant' you are?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineEd1
    #2874413 - 07/09/04 08:57 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineEd1
    #2874430 - 07/09/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

and people who are apologists for Bush have their heads firmly implanted up their asses.

I explain the wrong assumptions of people blaming Bush for everything and you quickly repeat the same mistake. This shows that Bush bashers don't have a clue what's going on and are totally useless politically.

Edited by Ed1 (07/09/04 09:07 PM)

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2874433 - 07/09/04 09:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Please show me where I have blamed Bush for everything. Please show me where I have displayed unfounded assumptions about Bush.

What's with all the links? Is that how you demonstrate brilliance?

--------------------

OfflineEd1
    #2874441 - 07/09/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Please show me where I have displayed unfounded assumptions about Bush.

I just did in the post above your last post.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

#2874448 - 07/09/04 09:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ed1 said:
Quote:

Please show me where I have displayed unfounded assumptions about Bush.

I just did in the post above your last post.

What? By providing a bunch of links, none of which are from The Shroomery? Where is the proof?

--------------------

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #2874686 - 07/09/04 10:34 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

We don't have to impeach Bush. Just vote him and Cheney out of office in four months.

And then we should push for a Constitutional amendment that limits Presidents to one four-year term and makes it much easier to impeach them. The executive branch has become far too powerful and needs to have its legs cut out from under it. The US President now has more power than many European monarchs used to have. This is not what the Founding Fathers wanted.

OfflineTommy
Stranger
    #2874741 - 07/09/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Bush and Cheney are the anti-christ

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: EchoVortex]
    #2874836 - 07/09/04 11:39 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think one term limits on ALL politicians would be one of the best things we could do to turn things around in this country.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2875858 - 07/10/04 12:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

A not particularly critical reading of that piece would illustrate the point that there is a huge bias leftward in the AP when they call this a news article instead of an editorial. Go ahead, read it again and tell me that the parts where the author talks about what WASN'T in Cheney's speech constitute reportage and not editorializing.

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2876721 - 07/10/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:
I think one term limits on ALL politicians would be one of the best things we could do to turn things around in this country.

I don't often agree with you in principle, but this is not a half bad idea.  I'm going to mull this over for a bit.  Thanks :wink:

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
    #2876722 - 07/10/04 08:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Oh.. and by the way: Have you actually said anything yourself yet? Or have you spent this last week posting links and articles about what other people think?

I knew at 18 posts that you brought nothing to the table here, and you've yet to prove me wrong.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #2876884 - 07/10/04 10:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

Though it might sound like a good idea on the surface (Strom Thurmond comes to mind), this is definitely not a sound idea. A one-term limit would not only keep the power mongers out of office (your presumed goal with this point), but it would also make it pretty much impossible for a politician to gain/have much experience. People with experience need to be running this country, not some yo-yo with a pretty face.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: Sclorch]
    #2876920 - 07/10/04 10:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Though it might sound like a good idea on the surface (Strom Thurmond comes to mind), this is definitely not a sound idea. A one-term limit would not only keep the power mongers out of office (your presumed goal with this point), but it would also make it pretty much impossible for a politician to gain/have much experience. People with experience need to be running this country, not some yo-yo with a pretty face.

I think two things need to be taken into account:

1) Just because terms are limited does not mean experienced politicians would be non-existant. A man who starts out in local government, rises to state congress, then the house of representatives, then the senate, etc. would certainly have a large amount of experience. This may also create more of a meritocracy which would surely be ideal.

2) If the constitution were actually followed(god forbid...) the legitimate functions of government would not require all that much 'experience.' Serving in congress would be quite the simple job if all these extraeneous unconstitutional features were stripped from it. Remember: Most of the founding fathers did not envision politician becoming a career job. They had in mind citizens from the private sector serving for a period of time then living under the laws they had passed. I believe the constitution actually mandates congress meet at least once a year, symbolic of how little the founding fathers believed would be required of it.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2876929 - 07/10/04 10:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

''Instead of losing a building or two, we might lose hundreds of billions in an irrational war,'' Cheney said. "Well, the rest of YOU might. I plan on making some serious bucks off of the back of your fears," he added.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Impeach Bush? [Re: Swami]
    #2877449 - 07/11/04 05:28 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
''Instead of losing a building or two, we might lose hundreds of billions in an irrational war,'' Cheney said. "Well, the rest of YOU might. I plan on making some serious bucks off of the back of your fears," he added.

Are you claiming he said that? If so.... link please.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder