Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
fine vermiculite VS course vermiculite
    #2873661 - 07/09/04 03:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Recently the store i bought verm from changed from the fine verm to the courser verm. At first i thought it wouldn't work as good, but for me it seemed to work better. I did brf PF jars and they seemed to colonize a little faster. When i did the casing it also seemed to work a little better (as i dont use oyster shells i think the courser verm gave the mushrooms a little stability) I have seen most ppl say to try to use the finer, but i think the courser works better for me.

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: fine vermiculite VS course vermiculite [Re: Kilgrin]
    #2873699 - 07/09/04 04:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Now I don't make cakes so my needs are a bit different than yours. I have seen vermiculite almost sand like, and others chunks the size of quarters. I prefer to use "pea" sized vermiculite in my substrate and casing mixes. The fine stuff would not hold nearly enough moisture IMO...

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2873799 - 07/09/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Actually it will hold enough moisture. A cup of verm is a cup of verm and both should hold the same amount of water. The problem is that the fine stuff won't allow enough air into the cake and it takes forever to finish.

So like atwar said the pea size stuff is perfect for our needs

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

Re: fine vermiculite VS course vermiculite [Re: Magash]
    #2873960 - 07/09/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

yeah the fine shit sucks ime

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

OfflineKilgrin
AspiringMycologist
Re: fine vermiculite VS course vermiculite [Re: onetime]
    #2874109 - 07/09/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Ya, the first time i used the almost sand like verm, this time i am using the verm that is about 1/2 the size of a pea. From the teks i had read it sounded like they were saying to use the fine sand like verm. So i guess i will stick with this or maybe even try a little courser if i can find it.

--------------------
- Got any magic mushrooms?
- No, but i got some drawf mush that will really blow your head off. Look at this, last time i took it, i was seeing fairies for 3 days!
- Nicey nice! Roll us a giant!

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2874123 - 07/09/04 07:06 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What you have now will be fine.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags