Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenewbie420
journeyman
rye at walmart?
    #2872140 - 07/09/04 10:43 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

has anybody ever seen it there? would it be in the bird seed section?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblematts
matts

Re: rye at walmart? [Re: newbie420]
    #2872185 - 07/09/04 10:54 AM (13 years, 22 days ago)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2872732 - 07/09/04 02:11 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

Please try not to purchase grains and other myco-supplies from the likes of Wal-Mart. There are probably several other LOCAL suppliers you can get the same material from, even if it is a buck or two more. Support your local small business and not the unfairly competing mega-corp juggernaut.

Try looking for local feed and seed stores, or whole food/green markets. Failing any of those options you can always order direct from www.bobsredmill.com

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: rye at walmart? [Re: psilocyber]
    #2872830 - 07/09/04 02:38 PM (13 years, 22 days ago)

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

Re: rye at walmart? [Re: matts]
    #2872994 - 07/09/04 03:17 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Matts,

There are a number of reasons for the anti-Wal Mart mentality. While I'm not particularly against "Big Box" stores, I am against big box stores that compete unfairly in the marketplace. It's true that wal-mart did at one time start out small, and it is in many ways a success story, but because of it's success and the weight it pulls it leaves a wide trail of devastation.

Wal-Mart will come to small rural areas to offer people one-stop shopping and with their bargaining power through bulk purchasing can offer goods cheaper than anyone around. For this reason, local businesses which offer the same goods will find themselves suffering, usually to the point of failure. As a result these small shop owners and their employees are often forced to work for Wal-Mart, which offers much lower pay and benefits (if any) for their part time and many full time positions. As a result the entire economy of that rural community is depressed. If that Wal-Mart for any reason starts to look like it might start takign a loss, the company will pull out, leaving a big empty store and a lot of ruined business behind.

There are also MANY examples of how Wal-Mart has used it's bargaining power to drastically change or destroy many other large companies (many of which sell their goods at Wal-Mart). Vlassic Pickels and Levi Jeans are two key examples.

Levi's was wiped out by them... forced to lower their wholesale price of clothing to the point where they could no longer afford to produce blue jeans in this country. As of this year, ALL levi products are produced overseas.

Do some reading, there have been a LOT of good social and economic studies done recently on the effects of Wal-Marts success. Take them for what you will, but they usually do show that their business practice is destructive to the common good of the communities in which they build.

While I don't argue against getting the best deal for your money, you have to understand that because of Wal-Mart's business model there are many ramifications that reach through many sectors of our economy. It's called being a "conscious" shopper. I'm not trying to dig on people that go to Wal-Mart or purchase material from there (hell even I'll stop in from time to time and grab a thing or two) but you should really consider the breath of the impact the success of this store (because it can save you a buck or two) has in other areas of our community across the board.

I'm an opponent of Wal-Mart solely because I'm a small business owner, and I can at least understand and sympathize with those that have been directly affected by this company, other people might not feel so strongly.

Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
    #2873446 - 07/09/04 04:52 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

Spot-on:: Walmart needs to be stopped. There is no benifit for any company other than wal-mart for its success. Any comany would surely rather distribute to a number of different outlets than to just one big one with set prices (the lowest possible) problem is, in many areas now, wal-mart is it.

And MY biggest beef with wal-mart, the reason they need to be SHUT DOWN is because they are anti-union. They dont use union contractors to build their stores. With as much construction as they do, its a shame that all of that work is scabbed out. I am a union electrician, and with over 200 journeymen on the books out of work, we need anything we can get, and wal-mart wants nothing to do with the unions.

They make profit off non-american made products. they use non-unionized work (those empty buildings they leave are not the nicest) and they pay non-american wages ($8/hr is not enough to live anymore)

Wal-mart is the most un-american comany that has come along in awhile. Dont think its a big problem? Did you know that as of last year, Wal-mart became the LARGEST employer in AMERICA? THEY SURPASSED THE US GOVERNMENT IN EMPLOYMENT!! ITS SIC!!! TEAR DOWN THE WALL (mart)

Offlinecaimen
the unknown
Loc: HERE
Re: rye at walmart? [Re: sublimesubmind]
    #2873677 - 07/09/04 06:01 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

mal mart payed millions on dollars to lobbyest to change the overtime laws. they dont want to pay people overtime.

--------------------
MAN Made Speed
GOD Made Weed
<Who do YOU TRUST ? >

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25954

Offlinesublimesubmind
enthusiast
    #2874008 - 07/09/04 08:23 PM (13 years, 21 days ago)

i forgot about that.... its sad isnt it

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: rye at walmart? [Re: psilocyber]
    #2875618 - 07/10/04 11:18 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: rye at walmart? [Re: matts]
    #2875649 - 07/10/04 11:52 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

I gave up worrying about Wallmart, around here they have some competition.

For example, Within a 10mile radius of my location there are

2 Wallmart supercenters
6 Wallmart neighborhood markets
2 Lowe's
2 Home depots
2 Targets
1 Sears
1 Fry's
1 Sam's
1 Cosco

And those are the big stores. There are at least 3 mom-n-pop feed stores as well as other small stores. I really don't care where I shop although I don't go to Wallmart vary often because there store is the size of a football field and they will have only one to two checkers working and a line that stretches half way across the store. It seems that every one else pays more that them so they have a real hard time finding employees. So you get crappy service at Wallmart.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation