Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Flag
Ceasar Amanita Question
    #2871332 - 07/09/04 02:17 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys :smile: there are a ton of positively IDed ceasars in the woods near my house (I mean come on, if you can't ID a ceasar just give up:)) I have read some on the internet from a site I have never heard of nor have a been too since that these are very good edibles. As far as i know there are no deadly look alikes right? I'm not sure if I would even eat them anyway since they are from the dreaded amanita family, Im more curious than anything. Anyone have any experience/knowledge with these beauties?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Ceasar Amanita Question [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #2871443 - 07/09/04 02:45 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

something that some hunters do is to saute a very small piece and then taste it, if it's good they do the same and swallow a small piece, they wait a few days to see what the effect it has on their system... they gradualy increase the amount intil they are satisfied it's not toxic

I have heard is a very good mushroom and will probably try them when they return...

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ceasar Amanita Question [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2871485 - 07/09/04 02:53 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Prisoner: that is *NOT* a sound method to determine edibility of any mushroom, let alone an Amanita. please do not advocate this method here again. respectfuly, concrete.

RoKiSdEaD: while A. cesaria is easy to id compared to other Amanitas, not amanita is so easy to id that a biginner should get the idea to try it. i am not tryint to say that i don't believe you know what you are doing, but i don't want any of the users who have limited esperience to take the statement you made to heart :smile:.

i do not know of any deadly amanitas that could be *easily* mistaken for A. cesaria by an experienced hunter but the whole genus is one to be avioded [for consumption] by anyone not completely ad non-delusionaly comfortable with it.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Ceasar Amanita Question [Re: canid]
    #2871586 - 07/09/04 03:34 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hehe, yeh sorry about that concretefeet, I wasn't thinking about what i was saying, it was geared more toward people who have been studying/ hunting for awhile now. Newbies, by no means do I mean to insult you :smile:

And I definately agree with you, NO beginner should definately not try to hunt ANY type of Amanita for edibles. And I consider myself to be a pretty decent IDer, I can ID almost any mushroom to family (in my area that is), maybe not exact species without having a reference tho :smile:. Of course i can Id a ton of them to species that I see often also :smile: I will definately post pics of these guys if I do decide to try a small amount before i do so. Even tho I know they are ceasars pretty much, in the amanita genus you should ALWAYS have a second, third, fourth, etc etc opinion.

And to the other guy that posted, that method may be ok for someone who is determined to test the edibility of a species and is very close to hospital at the time, lol, but I myself only eat things that are classified as edible :wink:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #2871597 - 07/09/04 03:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

the method he mentioned is called the "universal edibility test", heralded by many authors of wildernes survival guides, and is geared towards wild plants where even then it is extremely falible. with mushrooms, especialy amanitas, it will get you killed because you will not feel the effects of the poisoning [the part that tells you it is not safe to eat] untill serious, lifethreatening damage has been done to your liver.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Ceasar Amanita Question [Re: canid]
    #2871611 - 07/09/04 03:42 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Indeed, amatoxin takes up to 2 weeks to show symptons, so that method would definately not work for those :smile: It may work better for other edible species, but still you shouldnt do that without expert IDing in any case, because amanitas are not the only genus that holds the deadly and p[ainful and waits awhile to kill you amatoxin :wink:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #2872104 - 07/09/04 10:33 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

RoKiSdEaD, you seem to have confused somewhat the time ranges for amatoxins and orellanine.

In general, amatoxins will show symptoms within 36 hours. The biggest problem with them is that there is a reasonable chance that the damage may be progressive. That is to say that eating a small amount damages your liver a little, then eating more damages it more, until you get to the point where something that would normally be a small dose is enough to cause liver failure. On the positive side, the liver is one of the few organs which can regenerate - if you surgicallly remove half of somebody's liver, it will regrow.

Orellanine, from several species of Cortinarius, causes a delayed onset kidney failure. Onset of symptoms can be delayed up to 21 days after ingestion. Interestingly, it appears that several of the poisonings were caused by people who misidentified the deadly Cortinarius species as chanterelles! They both grow on the ground and have yellowish gills.

My reference for the above is Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas by Dr Denis Benjamin. Dr Benjamin is head of the NAMA Toxicology committee.

Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Ceasar Amanita Question [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2914318 - 07/22/04 01:19 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Of course, you are correct ToxicMan :smile: Sorry to spread misinformation, hehe, just got my 2 toxins mixed up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification