Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJPZ
lost in mexico
Loc: Monterrey
Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11
    #2871317 - 07/09/04 02:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

'sup guys, take a couple of minutes to read this..

http://www.world-of-dawkins.com/Dawkins/Work/Articles/2001-09time_to_stand_up.shtml

if you haven't heard of Richard Dawkins he's the guy that pretty much discovered memes, and memetics.

here's an excerpt.

" "To blame Islam for what happened in New York is like blaming Christianity for the troubles in Northern Ireland!" Yes. Precisely. It is time to stop pussyfooting around. Time to get angry. And not only with Islam...How can I say that religion is to blame? Do I really imagine that, when a terrorist kills, he is motivated by a theological disagreement with his victim? Do I really think the Northern Ireland pub bomber says to himself, ?Take that, Tridentine Transubstantiationist bastards!? Of course I don?t think anything of the kind. Theology is the last thing on the minds of such people. They are not killing because of religion itself, but because of political grievances, often justified. They are killing because the other lot killed their fathers. Or because the other lot drove their great- grandfathers off their land. Or because the other lot oppressed our lot economically for centuries "

I would love to see Bill "la la land" O'Reilly "interview" Richard Dawkins, he really gives religious nutters a right roasting.

What are your opinions on what he has to say?

(I know it should go in the religion room, but i figured the response would be more lively here...)

--------------------
I do declare, I can float in the air.

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be fucked up."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11 [Re: JPZ]
    #2871341 - 07/09/04 02:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Let me be the first to ask, what the fuck are you talking about?

Quote:

They are not killing because of religion itself

So is this guy a terrorist? How does he know what they're motives are?

I just watched "Wide Angle" the documentary about the failed suicide bombers in Isreal, and from what the actual "terrorist" said, they were thinking about religion. They were killing for religion. Now what the people's motives who recruit the suicide bombers, I'm not sure of...

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineJPZ
lost in mexico
Re: Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11 [Re: Skikid16]
    #2871542 - 07/09/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Wooah there....

First up, I'm not the one giving the opinion here. The quote is from Richard Dawkins. I want your opinion on the whole essay, not just the above quote. I wanted to catch people's interest with that quote.

The terrorists in the "Wide Angle" video did give religion as their reasons. They think they are going to heaven, 72 virgins etc etc. But this is the end result. Obviously if you grow up in a peaceful country you're not gonna blow yourself up just to get to heaven quicker.
Please read the whole essay and then tell me what you think.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Skikid16]
    #2871620 - 07/09/04 03:45 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineJPZ
lost in mexico
Re: Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11 [Re: ]
    #2873794 - 07/09/04 06:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to get at. Many people criticize the Middle East for draconian laws, based on the teachings of the Koran. And so they should. It's fucked up. A country cannot proceed, when every decision is based on an interpretation of some book written by delusional "prophets" hundreds (or thousands) of years ago. Now, these same people who critcize the Middle East need to turn their criticism back on their own country and notice that the US is on the same slippery slope towards a theocratic state. Many policy makers are increaslingly reluctant to upset the religious public. Why is this? Well, for votes is one reason. But why else? Are these politicians fanatics? For the most part, yes. Look at Bush. He believes the world was created 6000 years ago. This is the guy running the country, and he has a powerful support base of people who would love for Creationism to be taught in schools alongside evolution. Can anyone really trust someone like that to run the most powerful nation on earth? Someone who is convinced that an omnipotent being is guiding him? Fuck, I wouldn't. I would laugh this guy out the office and on to late night TV. He's a joke! May as well have Billy Graham running the show....oh wait a minute, he's one of Bush's personal advisors....fuck.

The US is on a slippery slope towards the same tyoe of society as these fucked up middle eastern countrys. The most ironic thing of all is that Iraq was actually a secular country in a sea of Theocratic nutcases. It was just a pity that he was psychopathic secular leader...it happens sometimes. But is a fundamentalist Islamic government really a better replacement? Short answer: No.

--------------------

OfflineEd1
Re: Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11 [Re: JPZ]
    #2873986 - 07/09/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The USA will never be a theocracy. Whoever believes that doesn't understand the US government. Read the first amendment of the constitution, too.

OfflineJPZ
lost in mexico
Re: Richard Dawkins blames Religious Fanatics for 9/11 [Re: Ed1]
    #2874900 - 07/10/04 02:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

When the leader of a country states that he believes what he is doing is correct because a god told him to, you have to wonder.

Never say never.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion