Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!!
    #2870694 - 07/08/04 10:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have heard this so many times, how people are going to change the world. Fuck that.

What if you knew that you couldn't change the world? What if all the knowledge in the world didn't matter one iota to the idea that you could change the world?

Someone became pissed off at me tonight becuase I didn't care about the Berlin Wall. Okay, it came down. Big deal. I am aware of it. Just how emotional over it do I have to become?

I told him I don't really care about historical events, that I am just here to do my part. I don't believe that what I am here to do will impact on the world in such a significant manner that I need to be aware of everything.

Why can't I just do my part, without being aware of all the fuck else? Can't I help humanity wihtout being aware of the
Berlin wall???

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePositronius
playboy

Loc: montreal-vancouver-tokyo
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Frog]
    #2870772 - 07/08/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Westerners have been brainwashed by hollywood movies, which always focus on the individual's ability to resolve the world's problems.

this is, of course, propaganda to re-enforce capitalist/individualist values, and to discredit the possibilities of group action.

Why can't I just do my part, without being aware of all the fuck else? Can't I help humanity wihtout being aware of the
Berlin wall???

its impossible to understand current situations without understanding how they came to be. And its impossible to solve current problems without understanding the situation.

--------------------
and you know it like a poet, like....babydoll

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2870870 - 07/08/04 10:43 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Change starts from within. :sun:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2870904 - 07/08/04 10:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Everybody can change the world.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Positronius]
    #2870924 - 07/08/04 10:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

this is, of course, propaganda to re-enforce capitalist/individualist values, and to discredit the possibilities of group action.

Interesting. I never thought of that. (and I tend to hatch crazy thoughts like that in my head a lot, so I'm surprised I hadn't..)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2870930 - 07/08/04 10:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Leave politics out of it.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2871195 - 07/08/04 11:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Positronius said:

Thank gawd no simple minded communist/collectivists values pop into simpletons heads compelling them to think that they could change the world and start workers revolutions. Think of the millions of deaths and impoverishment that would result from such insanity!

Oh, wait... that HAS happened.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Evolving]
    #2871212 - 07/08/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'll make an exception in your case.

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2871331 - 07/09/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

that's one way to look at it :wink:

I tend to think that everyone's individual world is jst as important, and if you can have an impact on an individual, you have changed the world.

The berlin wall and its tearing down is important in that it actually happened.  and it wasn't one person who tore down the wall, it was many people.  each person had to have their idea changed about how they lived in order to revolt against East germany (was it east germany? :blush:).  Each person had to individualy have their ideas changed.  so while you maight not see huge results in the long run, the results will come in time. 

:laugh:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Evolving]
    #2871345 - 07/09/04 12:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thank gawd no simple...."

sorry, were you making a point with your last statement? please clarify, if you were, if that was some sort of attack on my statement, please review the context of my statement and reconsider. thanks.

--------------------

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2871552 - 07/09/04 01:18 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thats the key, the berlin wall was many days ago..

today is the day you make your future

life builds, one action has many consequences

--------------------
What?

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2872369 - 07/09/04 10:11 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Westerners have been brainwashed by hollywood movies, which always focus on the individual's ability to resolve the world's problems. this is, of course, propaganda to re-enforce capitalist/individualist values, and to discredit the possibilities of group action.

Labeling Hollywood movies as propaganda seems like a huge misinterpretation. They are simply a reflection of (mostly western) life and imagination. Most movies are art and/or entertainment, not intentional messages being utilized to reinforce values.

Frog, I don't think changing the world is an important goal for most individuals. Improving their quality of life is, and that goal usually results in changes (which may or may not impact the world).

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Viaggio]
    #2872466 - 07/09/04 10:45 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

viaggio said:
Labeling Hollywood movies as propaganda seems like a huge misinterpretation.  They are simply a reflection of (mostly western) life and imagination.  Most movies are art and/or entertainment, not intentional messages being utilized to reinforce values.

Actually, there have been times in history where the government commissioned (forced?) movie industries to put out nothing but propaganda films. Pro-war movies, anti-drug movies, etc. etc...  movie producers don't want to get locked up for being Communists, you know. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2872668 - 07/09/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

viaggio said:
Frog, I don't think changing the world is an important goal for most individuals. Improving their quality of life is, and that goal usually results in changes (which may or may not impact the world).

That's a good way of putting it, viaggio. I am personally not out to change the world. I am here to help people. But in helping people with their problems, they will go on to do their part in the world. It will be a cumulative effect, somehow, so that ultimately, the world does in fact change.

And I read the other posts above. I still don't understand why it is important to know about things like the Berlin wall, or any other historical events. I know I sound ignorant, and if someone gives me a good reason, I will start learning history. But I have always hated history. It's so fucking boring.

My apologies to history buffs. I appreciate history buffs when something is going on, somewhere in the world, and there is back ground that is need to be understood, to understand current events. Then, I just find the closest history buff and get filled in on why something is happening.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2872687 - 07/09/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Can't I help humanity wihtout being aware of the
Berlin wall???

Sure you can!
I guess some people like to live in the past, or at least give to much attention and importance to that matter. I say fuck them, the past is needed to understand the present and don't make the same mistakes in the future. It has nothing to do with helping other people, in fact, people needing help just want to know about the present and future for obvious reasons.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #2872711 - 07/09/04 12:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Frog said:
And I read the other posts above. I still don't understand why it is important to know about things like the Berlin wall, or any other historical events. I know I sound ignorant, and if someone gives me a good reason, I will start learning history. But I have always hated history. It's so fucking boring.

My apologies to history buffs. I appreciate history buffs when something is going on, somewhere in the world, and there is back ground that is need to be understood, to understand current events. Then, I just find the closest history buff and get filled in on why something is happening.

To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to always remain a child. For what is the worth of human life, unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history? - Cicero

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2872765 - 07/09/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Tons of money flew and flow into dark chennels disappearing after opening the berlin walls. No benefit to the population of both sides. It's a very complex theme, not all to the good.
Also after the wall-falling, Moskow intenses his inner walls more and more to safe its survival in stupid manners.
Corruption is everywhere.
That's a point for everybody, what could change the world. Starting with the individual.
Yes, i think changing the world starts at an individual level.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #2872773 - 07/09/04 12:25 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

music

peace and love

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: psikooz]
    #2872963 - 07/09/04 01:11 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I am in agreement with Cicero that to remain ignorant of historical events is to be a child.  But I AM a child, pretty much, anyways, so that doesn't move me.

"It has nothing to do with helping other people, in fact, people needing help just want to know about the present and future for obvious reasons."

I would think that there are people in the world that make decisions that affect us.  Those would be the politicians, right?  Now, they should understand history, so that the same mistakes aren't made.  That's their job.

I, of course, should make sure I know the backgrounds of the politicians for whom I vote, because I want the best candidate for the job making policy decisions, right?

In the meantime, I can remain ignorant and keep doing that which I know I am capable of doing, which hopefully helps people, and maybe impacts the world in the future, reverberating into the future, ya see? 

I don't think each of us needs to understand history in order to do our jobs, and in order to help the world.

See, my world is small.  I can barely keep track of shit in my own small world.  But I'm a good attorney and I do a good job helping people.  I couldn't imagine how chaotic my life would become if I had to start keeping an eye on the world, too.  Somebody else should have that job, like, the historians.  :grin:

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #2873146 - 07/09/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

"Tis not knowing much, but what is useful, that makes a wise man."
- Thomas Fuller

Or woman :smile:

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2873199 - 07/09/04 02:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need to make an earth shattering change to humanity to change the world. Consider your sphere of influence and instigate change within it. So many people try to make changes outside of their sphere of influence and fail utterly, but working from within your sphere of influence can cause it to expand. You only need to start with your own small corner of the world. Just because an issue seems to concern you doesn't necesarily put it in your sphere of influence, but just inside your sphere of concern which might contain issues that you have no control over. Know the difference between the sphere of concern and the sphere of influence and work from within the sphere of influence. Just my nickel.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2873828 - 07/09/04 05:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

well, to reach certain people with 'the truth' I am sure it would be a good idea to know the history of the berlin wall and it's happenings....although I can't say it is entirely neccasary to know that in order to 'make a difference'.... history has alot of good lessons and maybe this guy thought there was some lesson that was important to know surrounding the wall? WHO KNOWS? if everything happens for a reason, maybe you are supposed to do some research and make your own conclusion on the wall and what it means to you

happy birthday!

OfflinePositronius
playboy

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2874731 - 07/09/04 10:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Viaggio

Labeling Hollywood movies as propaganda seems like a huge misinterpretation. They are simply a reflection of (mostly western) life and imagination. Most movies are art and/or entertainment, not intentional messages being utilized to reinforce values.

you need to do some research. Hollywood has been a component of the US military's psych-warfare division since the onset of WW2. It has been the -directly controlled- arm of cultural hegemony for quite some time now.

Films have been the most successful tool for indoctrination in the 20th century, in times of conflict, governments are especially active in using their national cinemas to spread their propaganda.

this isnt conspiracy theorist bullshit either, I have a degree in film studies and much of this information is easily accessible, many high quality, academic publications have documented the seedy side to cinema, and it is quite well known in the film community.

Now, Im not suggesting that all hollywood films are propaganda, the focus on individual strength is also a product of the cinematic form which often requires simplified narratives in order to deliver emotional impact....

but there is a very profound element of propaganda in the vast majority of world cinemas. Look at a country like India, the world's biggest democracy, film dictates public opinion, and movie stars dominate public office.

--------------------

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2875648 - 07/10/04 09:51 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Seems like this thread is being hijacked into another topic. Sorry, Frog.

I understand that in certain times, the U.S. government has had an influence with some cinema. Which is why I said "most movies are art and/or entertainment..." Like most art, movies are a reflection of life. Sure, they hold some level of influence, but that influence is not primarily dictated by big brother.

And I disagree with your claim that:

Westerners have been brainwashed by hollywood movies...this is...propaganda to re-enforce capitalist/individualist values...

Brainwashed? We've certainly been exposed to these alleged propaganda films, but...brainwashed? The fact that we live in a capitalist economy is the primary influence, not watching films. The films are based on our contemporary culture, not the other way around.

and to discredit the possibilities of group action.

Discredit the possibilities of group action? Sorry, but that statement seems too bold and too vague, especially since I can think of several movie plots that prove otherwise.

Films have been the most successful tool for indoctrination in the 20th century, in times of conflict, governments are especially active in using their national cinemas to spread their propaganda.

I guess Uncle Sam pass the buck on Michael Moore's movie?

And you used India as an example, but I thought you were talking about Hollywood flicks?

Anyway, yes, in certain times, the U.S. government has had some level of influence with some cinema, but certainly not with most movies. The idea you've implied does seem like a paranoid theory.

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2876589 - 07/10/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The films are based on our contemporary culture, not the other way around.

your understanding of how culture works is naive at best. If you want to have a serious discussion, go do some thinking on this topic and get back to me. Saying that films do not influence culture is beyond idiotic.

Discredit the possibilities of group action?

The vast majority, I would venture to say...90% of all American films support the "great man" understanding of history and social conflict.

I guess Uncle Sam pass the buck on Michael Moore's movie?

oh come the fuck on. Obviously different interest groups have access to the media, dont be so simplistic.

And you used India as an example, but I thought you were talking about Hollywood flicks?

well, the inclusion of India as an example SHOULD indicate that I am talking about films in general.

India's political culture is dominated by films, thus the Indian government consists of many bollywood stars.

This can also be said about the US to a lesser extent, many stars have come into public office in the US, and have even found their way into the position of president.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

#2876597 - 07/10/04 07:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

viaggio said:
Seems like this thread is being hijacked into another topic. Sorry, Frog.

I just started the darn thing.  I don't care what direction it takes.  :grin:

Quote:

I understand that in certain times, the U.S. government has had an influence with some cinema. Which is why I said "most movies are art and/or entertainment..."  Like most art, movies are a reflection of life.  Sure, they hold some level of influence, but that influence is not primarily dictated by big brother.

Did you know that in the 60s, when there was anti-establishment music because of the Viet Nam war, the government was behind some rock group, can't remember the name of them, that was really upbeat and positive, that came out at about the same time, in response?  Someone might know who this group was.  They had quite a few hits at the time.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#2877276 - 07/11/04 01:47 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have heard this, but no verification on the veracity of this claim can be found by me. Abba probably was one though...

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2877316 - 07/11/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I just started the darn thing. I don't care what direction it takes.

Frog, you are too cool. I love that about you. I mean, you are a Christian but you don't draw rigid boundaries, you don't judge, and you go with the flow.

I was wondering. Do your Christian friends sense something is different about you?
Do they give you heck about it?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2877707 - 07/11/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

your understanding of how culture works is naive at best...saying that films do not influence culture is beyond idiotic.

Naive at best?  Beyond idiotic?  Wow, you're not a very polite debater.  Where did I ever say "films do not influence culture?"  If you read carefully, you might see that I clearly stated "they hold some level of influence, but that influence is not primarily dictated by big brother."

Obviously different interest groups have access to the media, dont be so simplistic.

I agree.  This was a point I was trying to make.

...to a lesser extent, many stars have come into public office in the US, and have even found their way into the position of president.

Is there something wrong with this?

After looking over our posts, I think we actually agree on the main issue.  There is some propaganda in films.  I believe there is less, while you believe there is more.  And the influence between film and culture, culture and film, might actually be reciprocating.  Both of these contribute to an individual's perspective.

EDIT:  I realize some debates can get heated, so I wanna be sure we're cool.  Cool?  :stoned:

Edited by viaggio (07/11/04 01:23 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2877981 - 07/11/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
I have heard this, but no verification on the veracity of this claim can be found by me. Abba probably was one though...

Weren't they Swedish? Swedish people can always be trusted. :grin: Anyways, I happen to believe that the government is responsible for Eminem. Its a scary thing to think about.  :shocked:

Of course, we could also get into the government killing off musicians as well....  :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2878198 - 07/11/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

No, Abba was swedish, I think it was an american band from the south-east, wasn't it? I completely forget their name, but I think I know who you mean. They sang 'Support Our Troops!' type songs...

Wait, who sang 'Sweet Home Alabama'?

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Panoramix]
    #2878231 - 07/11/04 02:10 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Lynyrd Skynyrd sang Sweet Home Alabama, but I don't think it would have been... Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't really sing support our troops type songs... in Sweet Home Alabama, they tell Neil Young that the South doesn't need him around... always good for a laugh. :lol:

Gimme back my bullets! :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2878566 - 07/11/04 03:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The best way to change the world is by setting an example through changing YOURSELF in positive ways that make others want to change

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflinePositronius
playboy

#2878602 - 07/11/04 03:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

viaggio

I realize some debates can get heated, so I wanna be sure we're cool. Cool?

yeah were cool.

(grudgingly submits to civility)

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!!! [Re: Strumpling]
    #2878621 - 07/11/04 03:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The World knows what it's doing. It's all these people running around trying to 'fix' everything that muck things up. Better to just do as much good as possible while doing no harm than to go for eliminating nuisances and thinking you're doing the world some 'good'.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale