Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Tai Chi
    #2852249 - 07/02/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I want to learn this martial arts. I have a background in karate. I couldn't go any further eventually, and I stopped going.

I then later got into tripping and spirituality and all that. I've already begun living a more sober life for awhile now. I want to start to try and fufill new things...meditation, yoga and most of all, tai chi.

What are the mental benefits from this martial art? What does this martial art do for those people who have practiced it? What do you gain? I seen some programs of it being done by some chinese guy and I just picture it being something very incredible, once you get pretty good at it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Tai Chi [Re: Spooge]
    #2852344 - 07/02/04 06:24 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

do it.
basically it is meditation and deep breathing moving through a series of exercises.. in ultra slow motion. It originally evolved from qi-gong.. which is something else you should look into. benefits could include reducing stress, enhancing balance and flexibility, increasing muscle strength, improve circulation, high blood pressure, overall vitality..

the martial applications of tai chi chuan are well and good, it is geared more towards defense and neutralization.. using the opponent's force and energy against him. However it is more frequently used for its health benefits. You should also look into Qi gong.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2852485 - 07/02/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Tai Chi is awesome. I practice it regularly and find that I have become much more limber, though it is deeper than that.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2856992 - 07/04/04 07:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yo entityexperiement: You should definetly get training taiji if that interests you. Before all else remember that what you're training is a martial art, and if the person teaching you isn't a martial artist, then you can't possibly be learning taiji and it's time to move on. A very popular organization in north america is the Taoist Tai Chi Society. What they teach is a complete waste of time and I suggest staying away. Don't sell yourself short.. find the highest level teacher you can and train with him/her. Here's an awesome site:

www.chinafrominside.com

I can link you to more stuff when I have a chance. The above site has some good stuff about internal arts in general.. taiji, xingyi, and bagua mostly. The site isn't written for total beginners, but if you go over the material there, it's a good start point for your research, and if this art is something you want to seriously get into, then you're going to need to do some research.

Find and read whatever you can on Chen Fa Ke. He was the highest level taiji master of the last century. Nobody's achieved his level since his death in the 50s. In the website, there is some info on him and an interview with feng zhiquiang, one of his students. Check it out.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Tai Chi [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2858364 - 07/05/04 09:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Say what you will about the Taoist Tai Chi Society, I still found doing Tai Chi there to be an overwhelmingly positive experience with benifts both physical and mental. I found I developped better balance and a more fluid manner of moving in my daily life and it also made me calmer (an hour or two of tai chi left me as relaxed as an hour of sitting meditation, I'd say) and happier. It may not do the same for you, but I liked it, plus there's a Taoist Tai Chi place in most decent-sized cities. It's also relatively inexpensive and they have tea-breaks during the long lessons, so...

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Tai Chi [Re: Panoramix]
    #2868192 - 07/08/04 09:07 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The Taoist Tai Chi Society doesn't do tai chi.

The taiji (tai chi) is the name of the symbol that most people call the yin yang.. you all know the symbol. Taiji can be translated lots of different ways, one of them would be the grand ultimate, or the supreme ultimate.

quan, or chuan, means fist, or fighting style. Therefore, taijiquan, or tai chi chuan, means "supreme ultimate fighting style." Therefore, anybody who claims that taijiquan is not a martial art is clearly a complete blubbering idiot.

From the taoist tai chi website:

"The goal of practising Taoist Tai Chi lies not in perfecting external forms or achieving self-defence skills, but the recovery of lost health in the holistic sense."

Panoramix, if you knew anything about the history of taiji (which you don't) you'd know it came from chen jiagou, AKA the chen family village in China. The highest level taiji lineage came down through father and son to chen fa ke, the greatest taiji practitioner of the last century. Here's a brief bio from www.chinafrominside.com:

(1887-1957), seventeenth generation descendant of Chen clan, famous Chen Style Taijiquan master, Chen Changxing's great-grandson. Chen became famous in his hometown for victories in leitai (free fighting) competitions held in the county and for defeating opponents armed with spear and saber while Chen stood barehanded (after he rejected the post offered to him by Han Fuju, local warlord). In 1929, through Chen Zhaopei's recommendation, Chen Fake left Chenjiagou and went to Beiping (today's Beijing) to teach Taijiquan. Very modest, used to say about himself "No Good" and for this reason became known in Beijing as "Chen No Good" (Chen Bu Zhong). Many times challenged by martial arts practitioners (including Bagua and Chinese wrestling experts), defeated them in great style, without hurting anybody. Emphasized Wude (Martial Virtue) in his teachings In his late he created New Frame (Xin Jia) of Chen Style Taijiquan, modifying the Old Frame (Lao Jia) by adding several movements and expressing Silk Reeling Power (Chan Si Jin) in more obvious manner.

Taoist tai chi's a joke, stay away. It's a fabricated system all about making big coinage. fast food taijiquan. junk, garbage, shite, puke.. stuff life that. You'll note that the teachers don't get paid, all the money goes back to head office where the "church" owns a bunch of land and pimped-out cars

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2869550 - 07/08/04 05:05 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My question for you Mixomatosis, is how do you find a qualified teacher in the states?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Tai Chi [Re: psyka]
    #2870689 - 07/08/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

my moms been teaching tai chi for like 20 years.. shes 56 or something now and in really good shape

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2870773 - 07/08/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've been wanting to try this out also. Considering what you've said already I'd guess that you would certainly be against getting a dvd or something to try it out, right? Because it seems like something that you should pay careful attention to and be there for to learn correctly. Or are there any good instructional dvds out there that you know of? I'm just not sure of where I can find a good teacher around here at the moment.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Tai Chi [Re: psyka]
    #2875673 - 07/10/04 10:24 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My question for you Mixomatosis, is how do you find a qualified teacher in the states?

Don't know man.. research.. There are lots of high-level masters who come to North America on teaching tours. Check them out, and check out the people who sponsor them. Tap into the larger community.

are there any good instructional dvds out there that you know of?

Nothing can be learned from videos, but they're good for doing research, they're fun to watch and if you train the styles in the video they are good reference and it can be interesting to see how people do things differently.

If you really wanna get going on a martial arts oddyssey you're going to need to be willing to travel and do a lot of research so you don't waste your time and money. Start looking around on the internet searching for the big names like the ones of www.chinafrominside.com. You should find sites by students of the masters, and you may luck out and find someone in your area.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
    #2878017 - 07/11/04 12:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

theres something i do that i'd highly recommend called Chi-lel.

I'm not going to take the time to explain it but you should look into it instea of tai chi

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Tai Chi [Re: Jenny]
    #2885991 - 07/13/04 12:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

chilel is the trademarked name of some qi gong form with a shady history taught by some dudes..

qi gong and taiji generally go hand in hand

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #2885998 - 07/13/04 12:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

just learn some russian judo, or some jujitsu, or some Sambo.

Then you can break peoples necks and arms and legs and spines and stuff

woopwoopedee!

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Re: Tai Chi [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2886007 - 07/13/04 12:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

until you hit middle age

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#2886093 - 07/13/04 12:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

good point. Im still young and judo has almost destroyed my right knee.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2886400 - 07/13/04 02:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
good point. Im still young and judo has almost destroyed my right knee.

my teacher would say thats a sign of bad martial arts.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Re: Tai Chi [Re: BleaK]
    #2886445 - 07/13/04 02:21 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

no just a sign of a full contact martial art

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2886509 - 07/13/04 02:42 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
no just a sign of a full contact martial art

didnt realize u were doing full contact sparing..

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Tai Chi [Re: Jenny]
    #2886519 - 07/13/04 02:47 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

theres something i do that i'd highly recommend called Chi-lel.

I practice a form of that called "Chil-out". *Swami leans back in vibrating recliner and pours another glass of Shiraz*

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale