Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShraman
Wonderer
Cobweb Mold (and other questions)
    #2867726 - 07/08/04 03:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I checked out the Contamination FAQ, and it was fairly helpful. I've tried growing on two seperate occasions now. My first attempt was thwarted by cobweb mold and some crazy grass/plants began growing in my fruiting chamber as well.

Currently, I'm making another attempt, but the cobweb mold is back to haunt me. I simply don't understand what I did wrong. I cleaned out the entire terranium/chamber with Isopropyl (rubbing alcohol), and I wore sanitized gloves to transplant the cakes from the jars. I used ample amounts of perlite and water. Basically, I did everything by-the-book(PFtek).

YET, THE ANNOYING MOLD GROWS! How can I control/prevent it? I make sure the humidity is around 90%, and I make sure to fan out the air for about 10 mins. every couple of days. I don't understand how this could be so damn difficult.

Also, I mixed 4 different spores in a particular cake(Malabar, Creeper, B+, and Hawaiian). This cake is three different colors(white, green, and light-brown), but I see tiny pins(I'm speculating that those are mushrooms). Could that be mold?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
"We don't want to be free from fear. All that we want to do is to play games with it and talk about freeing ourselves from fear." U.G. Krishnamurti

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Cobweb Mold (and other questions) [Re: Shraman]
    #2867778 - 07/08/04 04:56 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Try cleaning the whole room, walls, ground, everything. Or get your terrarium to a different and cleaner place inside your house.
Remember, mold spores travel through the air. All it takes, is to open the terrarium to fan it and there they go inside.
Regarding that cake with several strains, don't do it again. Different strains will compete for the same nutrients in the same cake, not help each other. With time they will get weaker and be prone to contams.
Besides, an healthy cake should become white, those colors indicate contamination. You should toss it.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineShraman
Wonderer
Re: Cobweb Mold (and other questions) [Re: MAIA]
    #2868634 - 07/08/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What places inside a typical house would you reccomend me to place the terrarium? The room that houses my terrarium has been empty for about a year, and it's kept in fairly clean condition. I live in the basement, and the mold seems to be everywhere. Cleaning the entire place seems very impractical(is there any affordable solution which would clean out the whole place?).

Thanks.

--------------------
"We don't want to be free from fear. All that we want to do is to play games with it and talk about freeing ourselves from fear." U.G. Krishnamurti

Offlineiamgod
just some dudesome where

Loc: Crooklyn, New York
    #2868906 - 07/08/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Shraman said:
I make sure to fan out the air for about 10 mins. every couple of days.

Thats way too little fanning, I'd try to fan several times a day instead.

Also, cobweb can be fought with h202. You can try mixing it with water and misting, or using a paintbrush to "paint" the cobweb with h202. Try looking around the Contam FAQ.

Here is the link: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23418

--------------------
If what you seek is truth then drugs can not offer truth. Drugs can offer the truth of drugs.......Altered states. Truth is not an altered state of mind. ~ Big Headed Nice Guy Who Loves You And Your Dog

http://www.inlibertyandfreedom.com/Flash/Think_It_Over.swf

Offlinemidway
Stranger

Re: Cobweb Mold (and other questions) [Re: iamgod]
    #2868960 - 07/08/04 01:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Mold loves stale air...2-3 times a day on your air exchange!

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#2869591 - 07/08/04 05:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I just skimmed the other replies, so I may have missed it, but an air filter can do wonders in those situations. The room-sized walmart "hepa" filters can be left to run 24/7. Even better if such a thing could be piped into the terrarium somehow, so that you always have positive pressure in there. It's really not as hard as it sounds, but certainly a little bit of effort. Just something to consider.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #2872653 - 07/09/04 11:41 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeap, i would listen to Suntzu and what he's saying ....

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2876445 - 07/10/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

your fanning could be introducing the mold spores. i too would recommend a HEPA in the room. and choose the smallest room you can. my sterile room is about 8'x6', if that. I have a HEPA running in there almost 24/7. Walls periodicly get wiped down with bleach and lysol.

by the way, i've tried fighting cobweb with bleach, alcohol, and H202, and had it come back after each attempt. I just sprayed some Lysol on some new cobweb growth. I'm guessing it will kill the mush mycelium. But it really doesnt matter much to me, as it's turned into an experiement of sorts.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleMeat_Log_Smurf
FumbDuck

Loc: BFE
    #2876479 - 07/10/04 05:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Man buy one of those Rubbermaid plastic closets. They cost around $70 bucks (Wally-Mart) but if you don't want the mold prepare to spend some dough. Spray the outside of the closet with an aromatic version of Lysol. It will drastically reduce the contam factor and can be locked if needed. Also you can cut holes in it and set up fans (an intake and outtake) to allow for air exchange. Buy a cheap large HEPA filter flat long and wide kind) and just cut a piece to cover the intake to be contam free. Before you open the doors spray the air with the Lysol and your golden. AFOAF had a similiar setup with a buncha extra stuff on it. It was rad.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck