Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Dunk-and-roll?
    #2862540 - 07/06/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

iv been reading about this and i looked it up in the forums, and i have a few questions on this tek.

First off, How exactly do you do this? after i birth the cakes, i take a jar of some sort, and fill it with water. dunk the cakes in there and have something hold them completely under for 12 hours? afterward, i take them outta the water, and roll them in dry verm, followed up by a slight misting from a hand sprayer? then place them into the terrarium, and this will increase yields?

Second, How exactly does this work and/or help? i pretty much understand how the rest of the stuff you do when growing shrooms works, and how it helps and what not, and dunking them to replenish the water supplies makes sense, but the rolling in dry escapes me.

also,

when it comes time for me to harvest, how exactly should i go about doing it? iv read that twisting them off is the best, because no chance of contamination, but i also read that you need to brush off any bits of verm still on the end which leads me to believe after this, there is exposed verm which would increase chances of contamination yea? I was planning on just using a olfa knife to slice off the shrooms as close to the cake as i could get, but i hear leaving leftovers from cutting will lead to contamination also. so how exactly should i go about getting my shrooms from my cakes?

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Dunk-and-roll? [Re: PaintedDeath]
    #2862618 - 07/06/04 09:51 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The dunk and roll works because of a couple of reasons as far as increasing yields.
1. The cakes tend to pin around what is left of the dry verm layer that is still stuck to the bottom of the cake after birthing. After making this observation the Shroomery's own Magash decided to try stimulating the entire cake in this manner by covering it with a light layer of moist verm. (applying it dry and then misting is just because it seems to stick better ,and more evenly when it is dry) It worked like a charm...simple ,but genious none the less. Magash deserves much credit for this and other inovations that he has made in home mushroom cultivation.

2. The moist verm acts as a source of water for the fruits to draw from while they are growing thus producing more robust shrooms.

As for harvesting here is the info you are looking for..

Lightly twisting the shrooms from the cake,or casing layer,is the best way to go. Just grasp it with clean hands as close to the base as possible without touching the cake or casing and lightly twist and pull. This motion prevents pulling more of the myc than necessary as the twisting sort of sheers it off instead of uprooting it,so to speak. **Cutting them off at the base is a bad idea! It will definately promote contamination prematurely by leaving the stump to rot and provide a place for contams to breed and attack!

Many people like to patch the holes in the casing after harvest with fresh sterile casing material to prevent exposed substrate and to help to seal in the moisture.

Hope this answers your questions..Good Luck!
MYKEY

OfflinePaintedDeath
The Bestest
Loc: somewhere in Texas
Re: Dunk-and-roll? [Re: Mykey]
    #2862633 - 07/06/04 09:56 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

hmm, thanks much.

--------------------
I wanna cross The Rainbow Bridge, and see my fathers in The Golden Hall. They beckon me, to join their feast. In my dreams, I hear their call.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation