Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Advice on moveing to grains
    #2861621 - 07/06/04 02:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I see lots of people say "You should move to grains!"

I am on my Third batch of grains with no luck! Standard WBS in Pint Jars.

I prep as the Tek states and get nothing.

The only one going is the one that I 'Fixed' by taking a chunk from one of my PF jars and putting it into to WBS. This one is growing like wildfire!

This batch I am holding out hope for. I did a karo tek first and then injected them with myc.

I just can not seem to figure out why spore injections are not taking on the WBS.
:confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: Cyber]
    #2861959 - 07/06/04 03:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

honestly i have never had great luck from multispore to WBS myself
but karo always works great and is off in a flash
are you simmering your grains or just soaking?
how long do you let them drain for before pcing?
(too much or not enough moisture are the most common grain problems IME)

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: muse_sick]
    #2862041 - 07/06/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

First batch
soak 24 hours, boiled 20 min, drained 30 min, PC'ed for 60 min.

Looked kinda wet in the jar but one of these jars was to one that I kicked off with a touch of myc from a PF tek jar and it is growing good.

second batch

Soaking 24 hours, Draining 30 to 45 min, PC'ing for 60 min.

These looked ok for first 6 days then started looking dry.

All jars have 3/8" hole with polyfill.

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
    #2862045 - 07/06/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

my advice is...
drain longer
i usually drain 90 minutes or so
how many cc's of karo are you using in a quart?

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#2862051 - 07/06/04 04:27 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

The batch I just did has 2cc's per jar.

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
    #2862082 - 07/06/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

should be okay
i usually use a little more on quarts
but i don't see why it wouldn't work
try draining for longer
and if that doesn't work
then perhaps it is a contam in yr karo
i assume you are following all standard incubation practices in regards to temp, etc.

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#2862125 - 07/06/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

As for the karo yes I am following the practices and It appears to grow good.

InvisibleDieCommie

#2862290 - 07/06/04 05:47 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I found that draining still left my wbs too wet, so now with grains i put the strainer in front of the fan for a while after draining to dry it further....yet still i get a sludge mess on the bottom occasionally....

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: DieCommie]
    #2862428 - 07/06/04 06:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

To prevent the sledge mess you get in the bottom of the bag/jar, make sure you are not filling your pressure cooker with too much water. you should only put enough in so that it is not touching your jars before pc'ing. I only use about 3-4 cups water.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: billbraski]
    #2863752 - 07/07/04 02:26 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

oh ive never heard that before!

Cool thanx! I usually fill my PC about i inch up the jar, im paranoid about letting it run dry, even though i lower the heat alot....

What size cooker do you add only 3-4 cups too? i have a 921

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #2863985 - 07/07/04 05:43 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Have you thought about using a different type of grain??? Like Rye berries, or popcorn. I have had excellent luck with both of those.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #2864012 - 07/07/04 06:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well my first three grains were wbs. But I am almost out of wbs so yes I have started looking for other grains.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#2864035 - 07/07/04 06:52 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

IF your looking for alot of it, www.berryfarms.com has decent prices on organic rye berrie. Plus alot of other yummy shit too buy.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: DieCommie]
    #2864038 - 07/07/04 06:58 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have a 931. 1 inch up on the jars is way too much water. the water level should be just below the retainer you put the jars onto so that the water isn't even touching the jars.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2864786 - 07/07/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

It simply does not come any easier then this. May seem a bit much but it's almost contam proof if you follow every step.

A very simple grain tek.

I like to use rye do to the fact that I case the grain directly and don?t use it for spawn which I find wbs better for. The rye holds more water so it allows for larger flushes in my exp, others may differ we all have our own ways of doing things this is just what I do.

1. First I prepare the grain by putting it in a strainer and shaking the dust off of it one cup at a time. I then put the cup of grain or rye in my case into a quart jar and fill the jar with water and let it soak for 24 hours. My reason for doing this is that bacteria endospores that form on grain can survive the PC so we let the little fuckers germinate and then PC them.

2. Then take the rye and pour out the water. Your gonna see that it has turned piss yellow. Then take the grain and put it into a pot add water so the grain is nicely covered and simmer it for 40 to 45 minutes. You?ll notice some of the rye grain starting to burst and the grain has turned brown and swollen up quite a bit.

3. Pour the water out and put the grain into a challender or strainer and let it drain. I myself like to rinse it off after the simmer.

4. Now load the rye into the jars, I like quarts so that is what I use. Leave enough room at the top of the jar for you to shake the grain around (pic #1) . I didn't have any jars with just grain but you get the idea. No extra water is needed to be added to the jars just the grain. I like to set up my jars like this, metal lid, tyvek and then the band. (pics # 2,3)

I like tyvek for a few reasons. Nice to write on, (pic # 4) and easy to make with a cookie cutter in a hour you can make enough disks for life (pic # 5) . Then PC the jars at 15psi for 1 hour and let them cool. Little hint, if you take them out when they are still hot as hell and shake them they won?t clump up when they cool.

5. Once cool I like to add between 2 and 3 cc or mil to each jar. 2 if I made the syringe 3 if I bought one to add a strain to the collection. I push the needle right threw the tyvek over the small hole in the metal lid. Easy to find the hole if you hold the jar slanted toward a light. I Cover with a band aid because they come sterile already (pic # 6)
6. Once the jars are all shot up so to say shake them like a crazed nut. Mix them up as good as you can so the spores start all over the jar. In 9 days to 3 weeks max your jars will look like this (pic # 1 again)

7. Make your casing with whatever casing mix you decide to use and let them sit in the incubator for 4 to 7 days then birth.

My average total time from the time I shoot them up till the first harvest with this grain tek is 4 to 5 weeks.

South Americans at 4 weeks after shooting up the jars. (pic # 7, 8, 9)

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

#2871789 - 07/09/04 04:15 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm moving on to WBS myself next week. I'll be using a spores to inoculate are you saying it wont work or what?

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: cleaner]
    #2872007 - 07/09/04 07:46 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nobody said it doesn't work. Just that there are better, and easier, grains to work with.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineVesicaP
Get ER Done

Loc: Here and Now
Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #2872024 - 07/09/04 07:55 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

With grains can you use 1/2 pint jars and put it in a setup like the cakes. for instance a cooler with the humidifier. Or do you have to have casings and larger jars?

InvisibleTheHateCamel
Research &Development -DBK
Re: Advice on moveing to grains *DELETED* [Re: VesicaP]
    #2872049 - 07/09/04 08:15 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by TheHateCamel

Reason for deletion: cx

Invisiblematts
matts

Re: Advice on moveing to grains [Re: TheHateCamel]
    #2872211 - 07/09/04 09:00 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale