Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerepemon
journeyman
How do you work out your bad trips?
    #2860817 - 07/06/04 06:19 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have had some "hard time" getting into mindloops for the last 3 shroom trips (eventually learning now how to go to the mindloop for it to end :smile: when tripping with friends and also with some weird unknown ppl , but I know I'm gonna do shrooms again, because so called "bad trips" give me the best insights. But if you have really, REALLY hard time, how do you handle it later? Never happened to me so I want to know if it will get any harder...

I have been thinking about dropping acid though, it is a really powerful and beautiful tool, but I think it has the capability to give pretty fucking unreal thoughts which seem to solve nothing really, shrooms are always down to earth :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecreten
Blue belliedskunk

Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: repemon]
    #2861032 - 07/06/04 09:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I`ve had 4 bad trips in all, all on shrooms and i think i handled em quite well, when i say bad i mean extreme paranoia, a screeching sound inside my head, scales for skin which where moving. One time i took a bath because it was the safest place i could think of at the time, it`s OK man, just cruise through it and it`ll turn out OK.

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#2861074 - 07/06/04 09:30 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

A lot of the times, just changing your setting will help greatly. Try going outside, or if you're outside, go inside. Go for a walk. Change the music or put some music on. Go into a dark room.

Basically, just try to distract yourself. This is what helps me.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineIamthewalrus
every evening Idied and everynight I wasreborn
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #2861091 - 07/06/04 09:40 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I've only had a couple bad trips... 1 time was from smoking weed before and after eating the shrooms...I know a lot of ppl smoke weed with shrooms but it just made me more paranoid..the other time was because I was off my anxiety meds...anywho both times I just rode it out in my bed....when I felt better layed on the couch and watched some tv

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #2861139 - 07/06/04 10:12 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Have any of you guys had lasting existential issues from a bad trip? Last one I had was from weed and for weeks I was paranoid of everything, scared of death, the passage of time made me anxious and life felt completely hollow and pointless. It was an existential nightmare. I thought I stayed calm at the time, but when I came down I felt so bad I started crying.
Needless to say it took a while to get my head straight again.
My question is: how do you deal with trips like that they're over?

OfflineJvilleshroomer
Inspire strikesback

Loc: jacksonville, NC
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2861213 - 07/06/04 10:55 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

My most common way of getting out of it is to talk to my self out loud. Alot of times periods of silence seem to creep in on me and get scary so i break the silence by telling myself (using my name) that i'm okay and life is better now than any other time.

OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: Jvilleshroomer]
    #2861427 - 07/06/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think this is quite an important topic...if people can work out a definite way of getting off bad trips then one of the few bad points of taking mushrooms is gone.

I think what was said about distracting yourself is the best.

I had one "Bad trip" (though not as bad as the nightmares you hear about), where after a party a few of us sat outside and it was really quiet and like being in a black and white film.

I was with friends but they were winding me up a bit (which wouldn't have bothered me if I wasn't tripping) and I got very paranoid and began to have pretty disturbing thoughts, and all I could do was sit there and rock back and forth trying to make it stop. I thought I was going crazy as everyone else had come down but I was still tripping pretty hard, still not sure why.

In any case it went away when the mushrooms did but it left me shaken for the next month and I lost a lot of self confidence. I'm fine now (this was 3-4 months ago) and I just had to think it all through and realise that I am not going crazy and have no reason to be unconfident or paranoid.

I see psychological things like that as a knot in your mind which you can only undo if you realise it's there and force yourself to think and act in a different way to how this knot tells you to. If your ignore it just "tightens" and the longer you leave it the harder it is to undo the damage.

Anyway, that's enough of that

OfflineFlare
journeyman
    #2861484 - 07/06/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Have any of you guys had lasting existential issues from a bad trip?  Last one I had was from weed and for weeks I was paranoid of everything, scared of death, the passage of time made me anxious and life felt completely hollow and pointless. It was an existential nightmare. I thought I stayed calm at the time, but when I came down I felt so bad I started crying.

i had nearly the exact same thing happen to me ;/ seriusoly fucked my head up for at least 4 months... head was scattered.. was scared of everything.. paranoid about everything i thought i would need professinal help really not good at all. thanks to my mom i managed to solve alot of issues inside my head heh bad times... but it got better now all is oki :laugh: some good mother time defintately does help

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #2861560 - 07/06/04 01:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Have any of you guys had lasting existential issues from a bad trip?  Last one I had was from weed and for weeks I was paranoid of everything, scared of death, the passage of time made me anxious and life felt completely hollow and pointless. It was an existential nightmare. I thought I stayed calm at the time, but when I came down I felt so bad I started crying.

Oh, my god, yes, I've had that.  After my 5g trip, I was terrified of anything that moved, thought I could see the patterns of history and time playing out through my mindseye on a continual basis, hearing voices out of the blue, petrified of death and thought that life was just too terrible and beautiful to sustain me.  I've never encoutered such terrible beauty. 

It lasted for about a month for me, until I took another trip.  I felt like I couldn't get over what happened to me until I tripped again.  The next trip I took really cleansed those anxieties from me.  I mean, there were some really difficult and scary points during my next trip, but I emerged victorious and at peace with myself in the end. 

So, that is just how I dealt with it.  :smile:

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2861571 - 07/06/04 02:00 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Honestly I don't think I have ever had a "bad trip", only trips that became too intense. When they get that way all I can do is close my eyes and let that stage pass. I find closing my eyes eliminates most of the sensory overload that causes me to feel this way. Other times I have had trips where I have negative thought loops, bad feelings, etc. It is during these times when again, I just ride it out. I frequently tell myself "it is the mushrooms, relax, it will pass" over and over in my mind. This usually works for me, and as you get more experienced with the drug you will develop your own methods...

Changing your setting is probably the most effective means of altering your mood while tripping. I personally cannot stand to be in the house when shrooming, and always take walks in the woods. I remember one time in particular when I went out searching for mushrooms while on mushrooms. I slammed my tea and headed for the woods. I swear I found twice as many species while I was tripping. Later during the trip I got all turned around (basically lost) and started to freak out a bit. Then it just hit me that no matter which way I walked I would eventually come to a road, which would eventually lead me home...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineKasumeat
Truism

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2861822 - 07/06/04 03:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Purely on a mental level, there are two things that you can do about bad trips.

You can try to fight the trip, will-over-mind, if you will. This will work for some people, but most do not have the mental control to do this.

Most are simply better off letting the trip take over, and not trying to fight it. Simply accept that this is your trip, and it's not bad, just intense. Let it take you where it will.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: MOTH]
    #2861871 - 07/06/04 03:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

Oh, my god, yes, I've had that.  After my 5g trip, I was terrified of anything that moved, thought I could see the patterns of history and time playing out through my mindseye on a continual basis, hearing voices out of the blue, petrified of death and thought that life was just too terrible and beautiful to sustain me.  I've never encoutered such terrible beauty. 

It lasted for about a month for me, until I took another trip.  I felt like I couldn't get over what happened to me until I tripped again.  The next trip I took really cleansed those anxieties from me.  I mean, there were some really difficult and scary points during my next trip, but I emerged victorious and at peace with myself in the end. 

So, that is just how I dealt with it.  :smile:

For me meditation has seemed to help.  I think "regardless of what I actually experienced on the trip and what IS real, what is disturbing me is only a thought. It's just a crude representation of an experience. I can't really trust it 100%, but moreover it is the thought alone that causes the pain." If I can disarm those thoughts (which is really hard in the first couple weeks), see them for what they are and not take them seriously I feel alot better. They don't cause me grief anymore and then go away.

I've had to realize that the problem is my mind trying to interperet experiences that go beyond normal consciousness. The conscious mind is unable to do this, get's confused and misrepresents the experience and associates it with pain, paranoia, depression and bewilderedment.
It's like when you have a deep thought when you are delirous and half-alseep or you wake up from a nightmare. You aren't really thinking right but your mind is wracked around that one thought and it can really scare you. You have to turn on the lights and get out of bed, read a little, listen to music, and then approach the thought with a clear head.

When tripping I have to be sure not to attempt to impose any thoughts onto my trip. For example a recent trip I was thinking about being 'one with the universe' and somehow convinced myself that I WAS the universe, and that I was the only thing in existance. That same idea can be interpereted into the experience of being a PART of a great whole, and not simply the whole thing. That was the fault of me trying to use the trip to see what I thought I should see. Instead of seeing what was there, I misinterpreted it and caused myself alot of pain (it sucks believing you are all that exists).

That last experience REALLY SUCKED. Those few weeks were among the worst of my life. Now I know not to take thoughts too seriously in a trip, or after one for that matter.

Invisibletyke
eschatologist

#2861897 - 07/06/04 03:36 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I have two main ways that I use to steer a trip away from bad territory:

1. Take really slow, deep breaths.

2. Hum and/or sing to yourself.

Using one or both of these techniques I can usually hold on to at least a scrap of my sanity. It's kept me out of the ER anyway.

Good luck!

--------------------
hey, that douchebag, tyke, just made a post. let's go flame 'im!

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #2862080 - 07/06/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What gets to me is being afraid that this time I finally did it, and how do i know its not possible to completely break my mind off from reality by thinking so much in one instant that i get caught in that instant (i saw my parents tossing infinity after infinity at me, consuming me with guilt, afraid that i would have to wait forever to get out). but ever since then, i've been much less afraid of eternity.

i've also felt overwhelming sensations that if i did something, something terrible would happen (like writing something down). i felt like my instincts were to save me, and to deny them would lead to something realy really bad.

how do you stop convincing yourself that your mind can control reality? i know it can't, but when i'm tripping, i see things differently. there is always the factor of the unknown. since all things might be possible, i could go crazy. but now that i think about it, i was just being silly.

fear is the mind killer.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
    #2862598 - 07/06/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What works for me:

1: Remind yourself that it's only a drug, and that you're not gonna die.

2: Try and talk to a friend, or go somewhere else. Get out of the immediate vicinity.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflineBossk
I Like Cake
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: entiformatie]
    #2862603 - 07/06/04 07:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I just tell myself that if i didn't want the experience i'm feeling i shoulden't have eaten the mushroom, i knew what was gonna happen, so i better sit my ass down and enjoy it. Usueally that works. And if it doesn't, play some music you feel comfortable melting into i.e the dead, almon bros, beatles, whatever you feel safe melting into.

--------------------
-=[!]x[!]x[!]=-

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: entiformatie]
    #2862609 - 07/06/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fear is the mind killer.

I must not fear.  Fear is the mind-killer.  Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over and through me, and when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.  Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Best goddamned advice for a tripper, ever.  :wink:

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: Flare]
    #2863093 - 07/06/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:
Divided_Sky said:
Have any of you guys had lasting existential issues from a bad trip? Last one I had was from weed and for weeks I was paranoid of everything, scared of death, the passage of time made me anxious and life felt completely hollow and pointless. It was an existential nightmare. I thought I stayed calm at the time, but when I came down I felt so bad I started crying.

Oh, my god, yes, I've had that. After my 5g trip, I was terrified of anything that moved, thought I could see the patterns of history and time playing out through my mindseye on a continual basis, hearing voices out of the blue, petrified of death and thought that life was just too terrible and beautiful to sustain me. I've never encoutered such terrible beauty.

It lasted for about a month for me, until I took another trip. I felt like I couldn't get over what happened to me until I tripped again. The next trip I took really cleansed those anxieties from me. I mean, there were some really difficult and scary points during my next trip, but I emerged victorious and at peace with myself in the end.

So, that is just how I dealt with it.

After a very intense trip i was left for a few months feeling off and paranoid. During that trip i expierence anxiety like ive never had before, or could even dream of. I was convinced cia black choppers where landing on my roof. I could hear it, was waitng for about an hour to come downstairs and find me.

I got over it after a few months and feel much more leary about tripping, but every trip since then has been fine.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineDEATH666
Adonal
 User Gallery

Re: How do you work out your bad trips? [Re: Sev]
    #2863132 - 07/06/04 09:44 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

One time i was having a bad trip,i was in my room with the lights off and i had no music or nothing.All i could here was the ring in my ears.I got up and found a juce bottle i smelled it and it smelt so good i got this warm feeling and all of a suddon just felt really good.
That was about two days ago.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract