Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRussdogg
old hand

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio
    #285614 - 04/04/01 04:53 PM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Its like Teonan says... Its all determined by numerous factors.

I have had casings of PF with over 50 pins all abort, and casings of my Thailands in which I never had a single aborted pin.

Shrooms are strange like that, and this is why they will always interest me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#285921 - 04/04/01 11:27 PM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Teonan, Thanks for answering. I'm a newbie so I really can't answer the all the questions you posed but I'll tell you what I can. This is my first time.

I used 2 spore syringes to innoculate twelve 1/2 pint jars of BRF substrate. Syringes were S.A.'s. Lost 2 to contamination. Cased 9 in an equal amount of organic peat humus and vermiculite which is about 1/2 to maybe 3/4 deep. No Signs of contams. An insane amount of pins. 7 days into casing mycelia fully covered casing and we first noticed pins (since we didn't exactly know what we were looking for before we didn't notice them until they has started forming brown heads) We are now onto day 10 lots of pins that have started developing into little baby mushrooms and tons more that are on their way. I can attach a picture that could give you some idea of what we are working with. It's fairly fuzzy though because it was taken with a crappy webcam. You can only see some of the bigger growth..there is a lot more pins that have JUST started to grow the brown heads but you can't see them in the pic. Then of course there are hundreds more white pins that you definitely can't see. This is a pic of about half of one of the cake pans we used.

by the way:
Did one cake style with same substrate just for the hell of it to see how that method works.

Thanks again for the info.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: Karen]
    #285926 - 04/04/01 11:31 PM (23 years, 17 days ago)

oops hit the wrong button when attaching the pic...
here it is (hopefully)

I don't think you answered this for me (maybe you did and i just didn't understand your response as I am new at all this terminology)

Is it safe to assume that most of my pins that have already formed a brown head will become mature?

InvisibleRussdogg
old hand

#285944 - 04/04/01 11:49 PM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Those pins don't look like aborts to me. But hey what do I know? Most of those look like they will become mature mushrooms, but theres no way to tell how big.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: Russdogg]
    #285947 - 04/04/01 11:51 PM (23 years, 17 days ago)

so does that look like a decent flush so far?

InvisibleRussdogg
old hand

#285951 - 04/05/01 12:00 AM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Calm down about your flush.....Just wait and see if it will become a decent flush. Thats the best way to tell.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: Russdogg]
    #285956 - 04/05/01 12:03 AM (23 years, 17 days ago)

I can't help it im all excited. I'm sure you were prolly just like me your first time.

OfflineTrippinRhino
addict

Loc: TX
    #285991 - 04/05/01 01:39 AM (23 years, 17 days ago)

Karen, I am throuroughly impressed! even if these verteran growers are not. What are you using for substrate? How thick is your sub layer? What kind of casing? How thick etc... Gimme some more info so I can follow your lead. Your pic looks CRAZY! Look at all those pins. Keep up the good work! -The Rhino

--------------------
All rhinos are endangered species...save the rhinos

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: TrippinRhino]
    #286333 - 04/05/01 02:19 PM (23 years, 16 days ago)

Actually I went with a kit. I figured I couldn't fuck that one up too much. It would be an easy way for me to really understand how this all worked and IT HAS! I feel like I can do it all on my own so competenly now, where if I had not started out with a kit I would constantly doubt myself.
Here's the info on it though:

1 part Whole Brown Rice Ground and mixed with 2 parts vermiculate. Hard to say how thick the sub layer is ...its as thick as nine 1/2 pint jars split between two pans. The pans are foil cake pans that are about hrmm 1 ft by 6in by 4 in deep. Layer of vermiculite on the bottom, cakes crumbled on that, then cased with 50 peat moss humus/50 vermiculite about 1/2 in thick.

We didn't worry about contams as much as some because some of the people we live with wouldn't be to keen on the whole mushie growing so we couldn't spend a lot of time near the oven unless we knew they wouldn't be home for some time. We did the sterilization procedures in the sterilized kitchen in front of the oven and filled the jars boiled them etc.
but everything from there on we did on the clean bathroom counter. Which is probably why we lost 2 jars to contams.

Let me know if you have any more questions. By the way lots more pins sprouted today. YEAH!

Anonymous

#286380 - 04/05/01 03:13 PM (23 years, 16 days ago)

Karen that looks like an excellent flush. Most of those should develope into mushrooms. Just be careful when picking, not to disturb to many of the pins. If alot of casing comes up with the mushrooms at harvest, just plug the holes with sterile casing mix. Looks great!!!!! Aborts would be whatever doesn't grow up out of that first flush. Pick the aborts with the full growns. Be careful though, sometimes groups will mature at different rates. If three full growns are surrounding a non full grown, that would be an abort.

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #286707 - 04/05/01 08:54 PM (23 years, 16 days ago)

excitement is a requirement if one plans to grow shrooms. I still get excited everytime I grow. it's really cool.

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineTaz
veteran
    #286712 - 04/05/01 09:08 PM (23 years, 16 days ago)

If you really want to try something great then try doing hippies neglect tek/dunk w/milk tek. man you will not believe your eyes to learn more about it go to http://mycotopia.yage.net are http://www.fanaticus.com

--------------------
"Most of the world's problems are caused by people taking things that do not belong to them..."

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: Taz]
    #286884 - 04/06/01 01:00 AM (23 years, 16 days ago)

Thanks Taz,

I'll look into it....I did one cake just to experiment with different styles so I have been reading all the posts about the dunk w/ milk but I haven't read too much on it yet. I've got to get my hands on some syringes first before I can start anything new though.

I was thinking about trying to do a spore print from what I'm growing now...or buying a spore print...but then I realized hrmphf I don't have the slightest clue as how to go about getting the empty syringes.

Hrmm I don't know how well I would fair on the whole neglect thingy though....jeez I spend all day peering down at my goodies through the clear top....but I'm sure that is just because it's my first time. Damn I'm so excited! Ha!

InvisibleRussdogg
old hand

Re: Pins / Mushroom ratio [Re: Taz]
    #286889 - 04/06/01 01:15 AM (23 years, 16 days ago)

Taz is that you Hippie? Your style is so much alike.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract