Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesic8
dazed andconfused
Loc: underneath
My BRF's aren't colonizing?!
    #2858420 - 07/05/04 09:52 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

11 days ago I innoculated my first batch of jars. 6 BRF cakes, 5 birdseed and 1 honey/water. 2 days later I innoculated 5 more birdseed and another honey/water. The next day I innoculated 5 more BRF cakes.

Ok..

Well both batches of birdseed are coming along quite fine, by the end of the week a few will be very close to finishing. However, both batches of BRF show no signs WHATSOEVER. Can't even spot a small bit of the white fuzz at all on ANY. The jars aren't showing much either, but maybe that is because I burnt the honey in the PC?

Does BRF just take a lot longer to show any signs of colonizing? Did I fsck something up?

Also, one of my jars I think may have grown some cobweb. The places where the mycelium is are a bright white and quite "dense". There's a patch (roughly 1/3rd of the "white stuff") that's visibly greyer than the other stuff. Is this cobweb or just the mycelium isn't as dense or something?

Cheers,
Tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: sic8]
    #2858431 - 07/05/04 09:58 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

its prob myc thats not dense
i would shake my jars to encourage better myc growth if you haven't already...

as for yr jars that are not showing signs of growth
how did you prep them
and what temp are you storing them at

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Offlinesic8
dazed andconfused
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: muse_sick]
    #2858447 - 07/05/04 10:03 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

All jars are inside my incubator, temps range from 25-30 degrees depending on how good I "rug it up" after having a peek.

The BRF jars not showing any growth:-
First batch was all ingredients thrown into a mixing bowl (2 parts verm, 1 part brf, 1 part water), then placed into 1/2 pint jars(resulted in uneven mix, some drier than others, some more moist). Top filled with verm. Pressure cooked for an hour.

Second BRF batch, each jar was individually mixed. Moisture level looked a lot better. Then same as above.

Both batches show nothing. :frown:

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
    #2858478 - 07/05/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

hmmm prob yr moisture content then
practice makes perfect
make up a karo jar
so you have plenty of myc and no need to worry about spores
and try until you get it right
if you are intent on working with BRF
in my opinion
WBS is better than BRF anyway

--------------------

Offline4hodmt
AspiringMycologist

#2858678 - 07/05/04 11:57 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

^^^^
does your BRF have preservatives in it?

what is WBS muse sicke?

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: 4hodmt]
    #2858825 - 07/05/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wild Bird Seed

--------------------

Offlinesic8
dazed andconfused
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: 4hodmt]
    #2859730 - 07/05/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I bought the flour from a health food shop nearby. Just assumed it was preservative free since it came from a health food shop. Could this be the problem? Is there any way to fix it or should I just throw them all out?

OfflineMunky
Stranger
    #2859782 - 07/05/04 08:30 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all,

I'm having a similar problem. I have 10 BRF jars that are not colonizing. I inoculated them 2 weeks ago, and I see no signs of growth. Just for the hell of it I dumped out one of the jars. There was a white ball of myc about the size of a superball in the center, also no signs of contamination.

Should I give it some more time, or start over. This was my first try, so it's quite possible I screwed something up. Any idea's/

Thanks

Offlinehugo
tuna fish

Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: Munky]
    #2859826 - 07/05/04 08:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

be patient lad

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: hugo]
    #2859846 - 07/05/04 08:59 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hugo said:
be patient lad

1 week with no germination??
and the other guy has gone 2 weeks with no germiniation???

I don't think any amount of patients is going to help those jars out at this point. At least in my experience.

I'd say.....start over and follow the PF tek exactly as written.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

OfflineQandA
wanderer

Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: mycoguy]
    #2859859 - 07/05/04 09:04 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Make sure they are the right temp. If you are keeping them at 75degrees or below, they will colonize ultra slow. Especially certain strains. Afoaf has seen this particularly with HAW. If you have them at the right temp, then you have probably done something wrong, like innoculate too soon. You must wait several hours for the jars to cool off.

--------------------
I'm not crazy...crazy.

Offlinesic8
dazed andconfused
    #2860104 - 07/05/04 10:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Just broke open one of my first BRF jars. Absolutely NOTHING inside it after 12 days. Not ONE patch of fuzz. It's fairly moist, warm and everything else seems right??? :frown:

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
    #2860410 - 07/06/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't be too concerned with 1 week and no signs of germination. I had cakes that went up to 10 and 11 days with no visible signs of growth and they ended up colonizing just fine.

--------------------
"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #2860696 - 07/06/04 04:09 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The jars aren't showing much either, but maybe that is because I burnt the honey in the PC?

If you've inoculated cakes with honey that was burnt, then how could there be an inoculation? How could that same honey work on your grains??? Was it the same honey?

Did you see any growth of mycelium in the honey before you inoculated the cakes? You wants some "clouds" of mycelium in the honey before you shoot up anything.

In the rest of your post'age, you speak of your incubation temps like they range. Is it possible you've got a "cold zone" where your jars were, which accounts for no take? Winter in the lower regions of Australia is cold, too cold for mycelium to run. Though you did say on inspection of your lifeless cake/s that they were moist and warm. So, I'll go with the burnt honey as the root cause.

Quote:

Also, one of my jars I think may have grown some cobweb. The places where the mycelium is are a bright white and quite "dense". There's a patch (roughly 1/3rd of the "white stuff") that's visibly greyer than the other stuff. Is this cobweb or just the mycelium isn't as dense or something?

Keep an eye on it. It might be and it might not be. You'll know soon enough as it will rip through the jar very fast if it is cobweb.

Quote:

I bought the flour from a health food shop nearby. Just assumed it was preservative free since it came from a health food shop. Could this be the problem? Is there any way to fix it or should I just throw them all out?

No! Australian produce is excellent. Brown rice flour sold at the health food shop is the goods for PF cakes. Go make some new honey and start over next week when it's grown on. But you've got grains happening, so hey go with more of that IMO. Less work, more result. Forget cakes if you're getting the results with grains. Use the brown rice flour for making some shortbread lol.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlinesic8
dazed andconfused
Re: My BRF's aren't colonizing?! [Re: Starter]
    #2860706 - 07/06/04 04:33 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't innoculate the jars using the honey mix, I innoculated the jars along with the others (from the syringes I made). All were made with the same batch of syringes made from one sitting, just the BRF jars show no sign whatsoever, and the WBS are going nicely.

The jars get shuffled around in the incubator all the time. So some are directly on the heater (30-32deg), and some are on the edges of incubator (28-30deg, where the sensor is).

Just totally confused as to why the BRF jars show nothing, not even on the inside of a crumbled cake after 12 days, while the WBS are powering along, all on the same set of syringes.

Invisibledustz
prentice

Loc: Canadia
    #2861551 - 07/06/04 01:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Did you shake the syringes up before innoculating the BRF jars?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures