Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesee_spot
Smurfy

Loc: BC, Vansterdam
Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom...
    #2857023 - 07/04/04 07:34 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hey,
I tried growing some shrooms via the PFTek method only to get zero when I tried to use the grow chamber, I cased a couple of my contaminated cakes to see what would happen. The grow chamber grew nothing, but the casing flourished. Can I use the shrooms from the casing to create a safe and viable print even though the cakes that where cased where contaminated?
My thoughts were try to get a print the traditional way but change the parchment paper just after they started to drop to lessen the risk of contamination?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: see_spot]
    #2858120 - 07/05/04 04:08 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

>My thoughts were try to get a print the traditional way but change the parchment >paper just after they started to drop to lessen the risk of contamination?

You are on the right track. Mold spores rise from a casing and settle on all mushroom surfaces, even on the underside of the gills, because they are carried by the air currents that rise through the difference in the temperature between the substrate and the air(convection).
Thus even if you do change the paper after the spores have started to drop, there are still chances the spore print will harbor contaminant spores.

Offlinesee_spot
Smurfy

Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: Anno]
    #2859686 - 07/05/04 07:38 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

So in other words not a good idea?... (To actually do so then trust them as still edible.)

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: Anno]
    #2859753 - 07/05/04 08:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Anno, don't let ShroomieOfDoomie hear you say that. He'll give you a poor rating, as he did to me. I told him the same thing you just said, regarding the mold spores floating through the air, and contaminating the gills of the mushroom, and what did he say???

"Gives bad ratings for his own opinions, Ive used spores from mushrooms on contemmed cakes and gotten no problems so far... so suck my toe mycoguy"

myc vs. green - the winner

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Edited by mycoguy (07/05/04 08:37 PM)

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: see_spot]
    #2859866 - 07/05/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

As it has been said you will most likely have a print harboring contams.

The only resort you have at that point is to try and culture the spores on an agar plate. If you get contams growing with the myc you will then have to do a transfer of the healthy myc to another plate and so on... until you have a nice clean culture.

In other words ,unless you are interested in learning a few advanced techniques,you are pretty much SOL!

Sorry to bring more bad news,
MYKEY

Offlinesee_spot
Smurfy

Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: Mykey]
    #2860004 - 07/05/04 09:50 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks that makes sense, I'll just have to either get a new syringe for that particular type or UP my psylocybe knowledge by a few degrees which I'm cool with but not at this exact moment...
I have more than enough as is without them, just didn't really want to have to pay for the same species twice if I didn't have to, without too much effort. but 30 cad. for a syringe isn't much at all seeing as how I've never had less then a 95% success with my jars and always end up with sooo much happiness...
And the casing experiment was a good lesson on "throw away" cakes anyways.

--------------------
"Whatever you normaly do,
Today do the opposite!"
-Spongebob Squarepants

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: mycoguy]
    #2861352 - 07/06/04 12:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Nah, you shouldn't give a damn about what he wrote.
But anyway, if you want to change that rating, try sending a PM to any Admin and explain the situation, you have my full support.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Spore print with possibly contaminated shroom... [Re: MAIA]
    #2862004 - 07/06/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

thanks, I just might do that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates