Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Moore: Pirate my film, no problem!
    #2856681 - 07/04/04 05:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Link

Fury as Fahrenheit 9/11 director backs illegal not-for-profit downloads
By Iain S Bruce, Online Editor

Controversial film-maker Michael Moore has welcomed the appearance on the internet of pirated copies of his anti-Bush documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 and claimed he is happy for anybody to download it free of charge.
The activist, author and director told the Sunday Herald that, as long as pirated copies of his film were not being sold, he had no problem with it being downloaded.

?I don?t agree with the copyright laws and I don?t have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it with people as long as they?re not trying to make a profit off my labour. I would oppose that,? he said.

?I do well enough already and I made this film because I want the world, to change. The more people who see it the better, so I?m happy this is happening.?

Moore?s views have not been well received by Hollywood?s establishment, which is fighting a war against the online pirates it claims cost the industry ?1.6 billion a year in lost sales.

Jack Valenti, the outgoing president of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), said: ?We are proud that American films continue to enjoy immense popularity around the world but the need for copyright protection in the digital age is crucial to the preservation of our most prized trade asset.

?Piracy is having a dramatic impact on the creators and copyright owners of this nation, and its defeat depends largely on the commit ment and resolve of the entire industry.

?File sharing causes tremendous financial loss to the movie business, untold hardship to support workers, and costs thousands of jobs.?

Distributed via websites such as suprnova.org, which lays claim to having served more than 17 million downloads, Moore?s documentary critique of the Bush administration?s red, white and blue rush into war with Iraq is among the web?s hottest properties.

Thousands of copies of Fahrenheit 9/11 have already been downloaded, each taking about 3.5 hours over a broadband connection.

Ironically, the burgeoning underground market for Moore?s much-debated documentary has been championed by both sides of the political divide. While left-wing sites promote the film?s message, opponents of the high-profile polemicist are urging people to ?steal? their copy, thus denying its director his cut of the profits.

Last month the website of producers Lions Gate Films was subjected to a barrage of attacks by hackers, with one creating a link to a download destination on the site?s front page.

Despite up to 150 people simultaneously bagging free copies of its most valuable property at any given time 24 hours a day, Lions Gate says it has no plans to oppose the practice. While unwilling to make any official statement likely to further provoke Hollywood?s heavy hitters, the film company appears to have fallen into line with its director?s laissez-faire approach.

Moore said: ?Is it wrong for someone who?s bought a film on DVD to let a friend watch it for free? Of course it?s not. It never has been and never will be. I think information, art and ideas should be shared.?

Defenders of Moore?s position include Pulp Fiction director Quentin Tarantino, who earlier this year encouraged audiences in countries where his films are not legally available to obtain counterfeit copies.

The furore engulfing Moore is just the latest in a series of controversies surrounding the film. Almost smothered by original production company Miramax?s refusal to distribute the final cut, he also this year launched an unsuccessful legal attempt to overturn the MPAA?s decision to give the documentary an ?R? rating, which barred under-16s from seeing the movie without an adult.

Opposed by Move America Forward, a conservative group set up to dissuade cinemas from showing the film, Fahrenheit 9/11 has become one of the most controversial productions in Hollywood history. Last month Australian distributors Hopscotch Films claimed to have received e-mails warning that if the company went ahead with its planned release of the movie, it would do so ?at our own peril?.

The hubbub is unlikely to subside any time soon. With Lions Gate reporting that DVD rights are likely to be won by Disney-owned Buena Vista Home Entertainment, many commentators believe the digital distribution network may yet face serious opposition.

Valenti said: ?Nobody can allow their rights to be stolen because, if you can?t retrieve your investment, you?re out of the movie business,

?I don?t think there?s really a single actor or director in the world who does not believe that if you don?t combat piracy, it will devour you in the future.?

04 July 2004

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: trendal]
    #2856780 - 07/04/04 06:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Wonder what he thinks about Hezbollah supporting the movie?

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2856783 - 07/04/04 06:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Funny...that has absolutely nothing to do with the story I posted! Is that the best retort you can come up with? :smirk:

Keep it on topic...I'll dump any more posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
    #2856785 - 07/04/04 06:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

this has something to do with the story,
a torrent of the interview in question

http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2055/Michael%20Moore%20About%20Filesharing-avi.torrent

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: blink]
    #2856801 - 07/04/04 06:59 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

as the creator, he should be able to exercise creative control over it, including condoning viewing without admission to the film.

Watching it isn't the crime, recording it in the theater should be.
He's made his money back on it, the rest is just profit and money in the distributors pockets

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2856850 - 07/04/04 07:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know this is still off topic but so what if the hezbollah do endorse the movie? Unless you can provide me with a solid analysis of why the information in the film is invalid what does it matter who else supports it?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: GazzBut]
    #2856866 - 07/04/04 07:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
I know this is still off topic but so what if the hezbollah do endorse the movie? Unless you can provide me with a solid analysis of why the information in the film is invalid what does it matter who else supports it?

I'd reply, but I'm sure he'll delete your post, as he said he would. I'll wait a day, and if he hasn't deleted the post that was off topic but that supported his position, I'll answer it and I'll have learned something about him as well

OfflinetrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

#2856889 - 07/04/04 07:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't delete your original off-topic post, either :wink:

GazzBut has a good point though...so what if Hezbollah supports the movie? Are you trying to say that you automatically disreguard anything that people you don't agree with say they support?

I wonder if Hezbollah supports downloading movies from the internet...

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2856900 - 07/04/04 07:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

germin8tionn8ion said:
Wonder what he thinks about Hezbollah supporting the movie?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: blink]
    #2856915 - 07/04/04 08:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

blinkidiot writes:

as the creator, he should be able to exercise creative control over it, including condoning viewing without admission to the film.

You've got the right idea, but in this case it's a bit more complicated than that. Your take on it would be accurate -- if Moore had entire contractual control over the film. He doesn't. He signed contracts with film companies in order to get it made. It's not just Moore's income that is reduced by pirating, but the incomes of the backers who put up the money to have it made, distributed, and advertised. They have the legal right to go after piraters whether Moore himself objects or not.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2856923 - 07/04/04 08:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
I didn't delete your original off-topic post, either :wink:

No, you didn't, but you said...
[quote
Keep it on topic...I'll dump any more posts that have nothing to do with the topic.

Then Gazzbut replied to my post and inquired about it.  However, it wasn't critical of the war, the administration, and it was favorable to Moore, so why follow your own rule when you like what is being said, right?
Quote:

GazzBut has a good point though...so what if Hezbollah supports the movie? Are you trying to say that you automatically disreguard anything that people you don't agree with say they support?

No, terrorists can support whomever they like. More power to them. 

Now, any address as to why you said that "any" further off-topic posts would be dumped, then you didn't dump, you in fact continued and expanded upon, the next off-topic post that was made, one that dealt with the same EXACT issue you warned me of? I'm sure it's due to your objectivity, nothing else.

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #2857062 - 07/04/04 10:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Michael Moore keeps on ruling.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: Learyfan]
    #2857076 - 07/04/04 10:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If by "ruling" you mean lying, then I won't disagree.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

pinky

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: Phred]
    #2857106 - 07/04/04 11:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I didn?t read all of that, but here?s a sample of one of Moore?s supposed lies.

Quote:

Fahrenheit mocks President Bush for continuing to read a story to a classroom of elementary school children after he was told about the September 11 attacks.

What Moore did not tell you:

Gwendolyn Tose?-Rigell, the principal of Emma E. Booker Elementary School, praised Bush?s action: ?I don?t think anyone could have handled it better.? ?What would it have served if he had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room???

She said the video doesn?t convey all that was going on in the classroom, but Bush?s presence had a calming effect and ?helped us get through a very difficult day.?

:rolleyes: Hey, the teacher said she was cool with Bush staying in the classroom. Cased closed, huh? Our nation is under attack, but what?s most important is that the kids don?t get upset.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

Anonymous

#2857147 - 07/04/04 11:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

u idiot gwendolyn tose`-rigell knows way more about
national security than that fat idiot michael moore.

does f911 address the fact that on 9/11 3000 people
died in the greatest structural failure in all of human
history caused by 19 drug using infidels in the employ
of an islamic fundamentalist who lives in caves in
afghanistan who breached a multi trillion dollar military/
intelligence apparatus and not a single government
employee (till tenets recent resignation) has been
fucking held accountable and in fact people have
been promoted?!1

because thats what fucking gets me about 911.

fuck michael moore anyways.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2857307 - 07/05/04 12:26 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I pirated his movie. I have it on DVD. I'll sell it for $5 to anyone who wants it, but all proceeds go to Bush's campaign fund.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Loc: NY
    #2858307 - 07/05/04 10:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like some right wing radio bullshit propiganda

--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#2858314 - 07/05/04 10:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

ever since i got michael moores premision ive been burning a back pack full of copys of the movie each day and passing them out to anyone who wants them and hasnt seen the movie yet. but i make them promise to vote in return. and trust me every day im short on copys because so many want them and my feedback after people see it is amazeing, many conservative desideing they are voting kerry just because of bushes link to the enemy that is clear fact in the movie. i suggest others who want to make a differance in the ellection do the same and fill your back packs up

--------------------

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

#2858318 - 07/05/04 10:47 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:
I didn?t read all of that, but here?s a sample of one of Moore?s supposed lies.

Quote:

Fahrenheit mocks President Bush for continuing to read a story to a classroom of elementary school children after he was told about the September 11 attacks.

What Moore did not tell you:

Gwendolyn Tose?-Rigell, the principal of Emma E. Booker Elementary School, praised Bush?s action: ?I don?t think anyone could have handled it better.? ?What would it have served if he had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room???

She said the video doesn?t convey all that was going on in the classroom, but Bush?s presence had a calming effect and ?helped us get through a very difficult day.?

:rolleyes: Hey, the teacher said she was cool with Bush staying in the classroom. Cased closed, huh? Our nation is under attack, but what?s most important is that the kids don?t get upset.

more like dont worry mister president our buddys from saudi arabia have caried out our plan im sure youll get allot more fear votes in 2004 now

--------------------

OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Moore: Pirate my film, no problem! [Re: z@z.com]
    #2858319 - 07/05/04 10:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
I pirated his movie. I have it on DVD. I'll sell it for $5 to anyone who wants it, but all proceeds go to Bush's campaign fund.

ive got it for free guys, just to keep this kid from going to prison for profiting

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion