Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWouter
Stranger
danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol
    #2856637 - 07/04/04 05:15 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,

Maybe this question has been asked here previously, but I didn't find it with the search. I was wondering what is, from a medical point of view, less bad for you, shrooms or alcohol (like beer of something). I know that alcohol is neurotoxic, and shrooms aren't, but I don't know if there are some other factors which make shrooms bad for your health.
Anyone who knows?

Thanks!
Wouter

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: Wouter]
    #2856646 - 07/04/04 05:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Physically, alcohol is more harmful to you then shrooms are.

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

OfflineWouter
Stranger
Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: djd586]
    #2856672 - 07/04/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for your reaction. I know that mentally shrooms can be more dangerous, and I've always read on the internet that shrooms are, physically sawn, the safest drug, but I never found a comparement to something well-known. So I wanted to compare them to alcohol, because many people drink alcohol, and because alcohol is pretty safe.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
    #2858649 - 07/05/04 01:42 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

From a physical stand point. Alcohol is probably worse.

Mentally, well mushrooms are more likely to give someone a bad reaction from a normal dose then alcohol is.

These two drugs are basically uncomparable.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #2858654 - 07/05/04 01:44 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

two very diffrent drugs myfriend

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OfflineWouter
Stranger
Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: gdman]
    #2859109 - 07/05/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I know it's very different, but that's why I've asked it :wink:. As explained in the first post, I read a lot of time that shroom's aren't really dangerous, but I thought always it's hard to believe that it is less harmful than alcohol, because it is us thought (by parents, at school etc) that all drugs are addictive, and bad for your health. So the first time I've read that it isn't addictive (of course there are some exceptions...) and not bad for your health, I didn't believe. So I've asked it here :smile:

Thanks again for the help!
Wouter

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #2859149 - 07/05/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

welcome to the shroomery

hard to compare indeed. both drugs are harmless if used in moderation. a few glasses of alcohol a week is actually good for you.

I wouldn't do shrooms more than once in 1-2 months. personally 4-8 times a year is plenty for me

Offlinehugo
tuna fish

Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: stefan]
    #2859171 - 07/05/04 05:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stefan said:
welcome to the shroomery

hard to compare indeed. both drugs are harmless if used in moderation. a few glasses of alcohol a week is actually good for you.

I wouldn't do shrooms more than once in 1-2 months. personally 4-8 times a year is plenty for me

a few drinks a week is good for you? i havea beer eery onve in awhile but i didnt know it was good for me =]  :thumbup:

Invisibleboeha
explorer

#2859218 - 07/05/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

General description:
Alcohol: most common known drug, consumed by most people on different kinds of occasions. It's either used to make a person more relaxed, social (2-3units) or drunk (let's say 7-xx units)

Mushrooms: used on more special occasions. Since the drug can't be used daily, it's often used on parties (which every shroomerite will admit is NOT a good advice) or camping trips in nature, or just an intimate experience with friends indoors.

Mental dangers:
Alcohol: Not a whole lot of mental effects; alcohol is an effective narcotic that shows the same effects as morfine: it relieves pain, and shuts down all kinds of processing in the brain. Mostly, the brain can recover from this. (though it has to be said that dehydration can cause a very bad hangover.) So this drug won't really make you believe you're crazy, although many users have the sudden urge to act like a total jerk while under the influence of alcohol.

Mushrooms: This is a more delicate situation. If a person gets a bad trip, (most often caused by miserable set and setting) it can result in kind of anti-mushroom-behaviour: we all know at least one person that had a terrible experience with mushrooms, and they will most probably never do it again.
So there is a very actual mental danger; but let's be honest: most bad trips can very easily be prevented...
Also, there is a possibility of triggering a mental disease; which can be very serious!!!

Physical dangers:
Alcohol: Very bad for the whole body. Ethanol (the chemical definition of alcohol) is a poisonous fluid, and it goes through every organ through the blood stream. Mostly damaged: the liver: this organ has to filter the bloodstream from the alcohol [VERY slow process] , the kidneys , and the brain... It is possible to OD on alcohol; and this has killed some people!!!
Other diseases: Korsakov (brain damage due to years of severe alcohol abuse) - liver cirrosis (your liver that doesn't function anymore -> deadly)

Though if a glass of red wine is drunk every day, it is good for your body: moderation is key word. But IN ANY CASE: Drinking more than 3beers isn't good for your body...

mushrooms: If the mushrooms are the correct ones (most accidents are caused by the eating of poisonous, non-hallucinogenic mushroom because of people who pick them in forrests, not really knowing that many mushrooms look alike) then there is little to no physical harm done to your body.
The liver is able to filter the psylocybin quite rapidly, and this chemical doesn't damage any organ. The chemical blocks out neurotransmitters, but don't worry, in a healthy body, those neurotransmitters are easily recovered so no damage is done.

Addiction?
Alcohol:Happens in about 5-10% of all alcohol-users: 5-10% creates a severe addiction which causes many (social) problems.
The body can create a tolerance to alcohol; which means that people will have to drink more to get the same effects, and that the human body can't cope with an alcohol-free body anymore! The addicted person actually needs alcohol to function.
If the addicted person goes 'cold turkey', that might actually be fatal!

Mushrooms:None, the body immediately creates a high tolerance to psylocybin, meaning that a person can't trip 2 days in a row. (try it, you'll find out for yourself.)
And if you want to go as far as stating it can be psychologically addictive; hey; we're all psychologically addicted to at least 10 things; if we like doing it, why the hell should we stop? (Especially if the drug is harmless to your body!)

Overal view:
Alcohol is a opiate-like drug, though not actually an opium-derivate, which can be quite nice on occasions; but often causes severe hangovers, car accidents, social dramas...

mushrooms are a more intimate, hallucinogenic experience. Bad trips CAN happen (but as stated before: they can easily be prevented in most cases) but most of the times; it's a blessing experience which leaves the users with a glimmering good feeling afterwards.

Alcohol is made by man.
Mushrooms are made by nature itself.
I think you know by now what drug I prefer :wink:

[Btw; My opinion is based on academic studies of several Ph.D's ; and I hope someday I'll be able to make a study myself on "drugs and dangerous narcotics!" :wink: )

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Edited by boeha (07/05/04 05:44 PM)

OfflineWouter
Stranger
Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: boeha]
    #2859245 - 07/05/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for the post! It'a good comparement, and it's well organized, it really helped me out.

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: boeha]
    #2860456 - 07/06/04 02:42 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

boeha said:
Alcohol is made by man.

That's just wrong.  Alcohol's made by entirely natural processes, too.  I've accidently left buckets of fruit out in the rain in the summer and had fruit wine in the morning.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: hugo]
    #2860575 - 07/06/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yeah good post booha!

1-2 glasses every day(for man, 1 for woman) with 2 non-alcohol days a week is good for your heart :thumbup:

Invisibleboeha
explorer

Re: danger of mushrooms compared to alcohol [Re: Sev]
    #2860888 - 07/06/04 09:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Sev said:
Quote:

boeha said:
Alcohol is made by man.

That's just wrong.  Alcohol's made by entirely natural processes, too.  I've accidently left buckets of fruit out in the rain in the summer and had fruit wine in the morning.

Although the process itself can just happen by nature itself; people still make their own alcoholic beverages (in a brewery or so);
and this is how people can alter the alcohol-percentage; like making very strong beer/wodka...

--------------------
- turn on, tune in, drop out ...
- peace, love and understanding ...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience