Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide Flag
Panaeolus subbalteatus in Colorado?? ID please
    #2854648 - 07/03/04 08:07 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I found these mushrooms in Colorado at an elevation of about 5,200 feet.  This summer has been an exceptionally wet season for Colorado.  They were growing in a cluster of three on some damp mulch/bark. 

The stems range from 2-3" long and about 1/4" wide, they are hollow and stringy.  The only thing that makes me believe that they are not subs is the color of the stem.  They are not blatantly red like most pictures I see of subs, they are mainly white but there is a very slight tint of red/orange or even yellow.  Very slight.  I can see no evidence of a veil, but then again these fruits are at least 2-4 days old.   

The cap of the largest specimen has some very faint blue bruising.  The caps range from 1-2" in diameter.  The gills are brown and there were black/brownish spore deposits on the stems.  I'm attempting to make a spore print now, but I'm worried that it wont work because these fruits were so aged.  The cap is wrinkly and it looks like the intensity of the brown/red fades as you get closer to the edge.  As the caps become even more dry they are losing some color and some parts appear to be turning a dirty white.  Another thing that throws me, is the fact that the caps are more conical than convex. 

They smell very very musky.  It's incredibly familiar, I just can't put my finger on it.  Almost like dung or compost.  If I can do something to help you identify the mushroom just ask.  Thanks :smile:

Sorry that I don't have a pic, but I don't have access to a digital camera ATM.

Edited by Smoker For Peace (07/03/04 08:24 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide Flag
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus in Colorado?? ID please [Re: cherokee]
    #2854692 - 07/03/04 08:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

At this point I'm pretty sure they aren't pan subs, but I'd still love an ID if possible.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Panaeolus subbalteatus in Colorado?? ID please [Re: cherokee]
    #2854716 - 07/03/04 08:45 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My first thought is Psathyrella candolleana, which is coming up in lawns all over the place in Denver right now. Before you rush out and find a photo on the internet and say it doesn't look like your mushrooms, be aware that this is a fairly variable species, and I regularly find specimens that don't look much like most of the photos.

If they are, then they are growing from buried wood, usually dead tree roots.

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification