Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineneomushy
Stranger
New findings on the Gulf Coast, ID please?
    #2854192 - 07/03/04 04:29 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I went golfing with my dad today and left at 6am, we got there by 7am and it was really dewy out and moist in the morning. This is located in Galveston, Texas, Im right on the beach in the gulf of mexico, which is SE texas.

I came across this white mushroom all by itself a couple holes into the game. It was growing a couple feet away from a bush and was growing in the thin cut grass. It rose out of the ground about 5 inches, the caps diameter was around 1-2 inches, and the height of the cap was 1-2 inches also. The cap popped right off so I dont think the gills were attatched to the stem. It gave off white dust when I touched it with my bare finger. The mushroom was completely white, with little baish(sp)/brown bumps on the top kind of like an Animita. the gills were also very white, I tried to get a pore print on a birght green piece of paper, I didnt have any black paper available, nothhing showed up on the paper so I'm suspecting its an inactive mushroom, but I would like to know for sure what it is. Any ideas guys?

I hope these pics were of some use, I had to break it apart in order to get a spore print, or do you have to do that? Can you just pop the cap and let the spores drop down? I'm new to this, only been mushroom hunting for some 1-2 months.

On the 2nd 9 holes I cam across another mushroom. It was on a hill all by itself. This mushroom had a brown cap, the cap was kind of wavy, it may have been due to age though, it looked like it folded in around the sides in 5 different places, making sort of a roundish star type. The gills were brown also, with a grayish/blueish tint to them as well. I couldnt tell if the gills were attatched to the stem, I'm not good at telling that stuff yet. I didnt get a spore print of it because I put it on the dashboard on the way home and it got pretty dry, and its out in the sun right now drying some more. I didnt check if either mushroom bruised blue either. Here are some pictures. None of these were found growing on manure, it was on golf course freshly cut grass.

Also, I dont know if they do, but if the gulf course uses some sort of fertilizer for their grass and a mushroom grows, will that substance be in the mushroom? Could it be deadly if I were to consume that substance?

Thanks for helping me out guys.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: New findings on the Gulf Coast, ID please? [Re: neomushy]
    #2854211 - 07/03/04 04:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Neither of those is active, and, just looking for a moment at them, I think both are Chlorophyllum molybdites, a very nasty poisonous mushroom.

Quote:

if the gulf course uses some sort of fertilizer for their grass and a mushroom grows, will that substance be in the mushroom? Could it be deadly if I were to consume that substance?

Yes and yes. There are numerous recorded instances of people being poisoned by mushrooms that were contaminated by environmental toxins. Golf courses are notorious for spraying fairly poisonous pesticides, and mushrooms found there can concentrate those poisons.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlineneomushy
Stranger
Re: New findings on the Gulf Coast, ID please? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2854221 - 07/03/04 04:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks alot ToxicMan, I've heard about your accurateness to ID mushrooms, and you gave me some nice words of advice for being careful where I pick my mushrooms. Thanks again.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification