Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLucidDayDream
Ponderer...
Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house?
    #2851542 - 07/02/04 01:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I know I know, this has been talked about before, but I wanted to post my ex girlfriends specific scenario. She has grown with High Mountain Compost innoced with Rye in bins and has had huge success, with each bin about 10 lbs of compst and innoculated with about 8 quarts of rye, each filled with nice white colonized mycel. She has let these bins fruit (uncased) and lazily left them without cleaning em and they have gotten green after they have given off their massive amounts of product. However, now whenever she tries, she cannot beat the green. Shes tried bins and even going smaller time with alum. trays, but the green keeps coming back. The compost always colonizes quickly and looks very healthy. However, msot of the time she pulls off the high points of compost that are not yet colonized to speed up the process. This has worked in the past but now she cannot ever make a single tin/bin make it. Although the bins are always colonized, the areas that are a bit more lightly colonized ( where you can see rhizos wrapped thickly arount compost) are ALWAYS prone to the green. She has an eye for it and can see the little white dots and then, days later green. I think she is perhaps birthing her bins/tins too early and maybe shoudl wait until 110% colonized, yet this has never been a problem in the past. Coudl it be, perhaps, due to the fact that the rubbermaids once were loaded with green mold (after multiple fruitigns and her lazyness to throw them out)? Could green mold spores harbor in the microscopic pores of the plastic? Or is her house most likely just too damn dirty now since she has had numerous bins that she has not cleaned in time? The strange thing is that the last time she was growing with the bins she had them in an isolated room, no carpeting, a small tight little closet with nothing for any spores to cling on. SHe had the place sprayed down THOROUGHLY and also had a hepa on, 24 hours a day. What coudl be the deal? Will she ever be able to grow again? Thanks so much adn sorry its sort of a duplicate post, I just wanted to explain her specific situation

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: LucidDayDream]
    #2851753 - 07/02/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Try buying a $30 tabletop hepa filter for the room and keep the casing layer a bit dry.

Offlinemidway
Stranger

Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: LucidDayDream]
    #2851871 - 07/02/04 03:09 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What exactly did she spray it down with? I would use a bleach solution and wipe down the surfaces in the closet and the rubbermaid. Perhaps letting a bleach solution soak in the rubbermaids wouldnt be a bad idea either.
When youve had a mold infestation of that size it pays to be paraniod: double and triple sterilize.

Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
    #2853718 - 07/03/04 10:37 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I know how she feels, my girlfriend had a bout with sour-rot with wbs in every single batch for about 2 months. probably went through about 30lbs of it before giving up and switching substrate entirely. I would second what midway said and go hard with bleach. wipe down all surfaces including the floor,maybe even the walls.

InvisibleLucidDayDream
Ponderer...
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: billbraski]
    #2853983 - 07/03/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah this sucks. THanks for your help guys. Yeah she has just a few bins (only about 5 lbs) colonized and sitting in the room with a hepa. It just seems the spores are all over the house.. yet she was thinking that the last big bin batch she did it may have been the compost. Although it was still sealed up in filter patch bags one smelled slighjtly like pig poop (they normally just smell like good compost) and another one was slightly wet.. yet they still colonized beautifully. Do you guys think that she is birthing these things early? When you guys colonize massive amounts of compost/dung do you ever peek at it ? Is leaving it to colonize 110% highly recommended? Undoubtedly I am sure its the safest way, but is this something that should be deeply considered? She just often has little patches where water collects on teh surface and she has to wipe this down for it to complelely colonize. Shes just frustrated because in the fall she harvested a shit ton and really did not even work that hard with sterility. One big bin went bad but the others thrived. Any other tips?
Thanks

InvisibleHangnail
Teo Torriatte

Loc: Over at the Frankenstein ...
    #2854133 - 07/03/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

...and never forget that green mold has white mycelium

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2854250 - 07/03/04 03:14 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Any other tips?

Clean the entire house, couches, recliners, replace the air filters on the AC, everything. Clean the inside and outside of all fruiting containers with a 10% bleach solution. Try to avoid messing with the casing during the vulnerable colonization time. Do not birth anything until it is 100%, and it doesn't hurt to wait a few days longer (but no longer than 2 weeks) after full colonization...

This belongs in the Contam forum really. What type of green are we talking about here? Does it grow on the substrate, casing layer, or on the mycelium?

--------------------
To give is to live...

InvisibleLucidDayDream
Ponderer...
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2857963 - 07/05/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah this really sort of blows. THey are in a room I mentioned before where it is all wooden (no spore holding carpet) and thoroughly sprayed down with lysol. Its a nice small room, perfect. just a nice walk in closet. She has a hepa going 24 hours. And this is the room where nothing has ever gone bad before. The bins that went bad were in her room. Could the hepa actually be contributing to the plm and blowing outside spores around? The door is always closed. Its just rediculous because whenever there is any COLONIZED material that is not 100% white contams still seem to get their way in. Again these things are beautiful but in the darker colonized parts green always seems to come. Oh - and you guys mentioned casing. Shes not casing, she just alwyas fruits directly from the colonized compost and its worked great in the past. She just can't figure out how to fix this. She will do what u mentioned above.. but her main question is if this has ever happened to anyone else. Where they completely fail despite their efforts, after succeeding greatly in the past.

Offlinepoorphucker
Worthless Poster
 User Gallery

Loc: New Brunswick Canada
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? *DELETED* [Re: LucidDayDream]
    #2858865 - 07/05/04 01:26 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by poorphucker

--------------------
Remember kiddies...............
Automobiles are not an illusion!
Fire is not your friend!
And YOU CANNOT FLY...unless you are on a 20 story building and jump! Practice makes perfect!

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: poorphucker]
    #2861140 - 07/06/04 10:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

What is that, a death ray cannon?

:lol:

:sun:

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: RuNE]
    #2861431 - 07/06/04 12:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like it is probably an ozone generator. They will definately kill anything if you kick it up on high and let it run in the house for a few hours.(with you and loved ones and pets out of the house of course!) These things are contams worst nightmares! Just be sure and air the house out when you come back in to get plenty of fresh o2 in.

Offlinemidway
Stranger

#2861481 - 07/06/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

THey are in a room I mentioned before where it is all wooden (no spore holding carpet)

Wood can be porous and can hold spores too depending on what kind it is and if there is varnish and what not. Still think a cleaning spree is your best bet...that really sucks.

InvisibleLucidDayDream
Ponderer...
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: midway]
    #2862847 - 07/06/04 08:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah this really really sucks. Shes grown shrooms many many times before and done great with them. Now she can see that on the surface of once PURE WHITE mycelium that green is starting. She doesn't understand it. She sort of understood it coming to parts that may have been prone to it before. THere must be some wicked strains of green in this house, if it works like that, because it takes over stuff that is beautifiully colonized with areas that seem like they could never be taken over. The HEPA she is using is a Walgreen special, its called Family or something like that, nothing fancy, but adequate for this tiny room. How strange. Has this happened to people before? She loves this hobbie and wishes she could continue, but it seeems impossible..

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#2862947 - 07/06/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LucidDayDream said:
THere must be some wicked strains of green in this house, if it works like that, because it takes over stuff that is beautifiully colonized with areas that seem like they could never be taken over.

Mycelium (and mushrooms) can be infected by parasitic molds (trichoderma). Minimize exposure (avoid checking on them so much) and fully clean the house as I and others have previously recommended. Do not leave one place uncleaned. Perhaps go crazy with regular lysol and the air lysol, but I recommend you wear a respirator. Personally if I were to do so I would buy a bunch of cans and set them off in the house like a bug bomb. Wedge something in the cans spray button to make it spray non-stop until empty and seal the place up. Turn the fans for the AC/heater on and leave the house for awhile allowing the fumes to circulate everywhere. Open all cabinets, closets, etc. Upon return open every window to air the place out. Then make sure you scrub the floors, walls, and ceiling with a bleach solution in the grow room (you said it was wood). CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Then do some more cleaning. Vacuum everything including beds, chairs, and couches before bombing...

Of course I would make sure all pilot lights are out to avoid a huge fire, and minimize your exposure to the fumes. Also, get rid of anything green the moment you spot it and clean the container with bleach, sealing it up for 24 hours...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinethrice
Stranger
Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: ATWAR]
    #2865481 - 07/07/04 02:56 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I always get green everytime when I used jiffy mix. But I don't get hardly any green with verm casings. Straw is very resistant to green imo. Good luck. Ive been getting lots of sour fermenting smell from my wbs lately too.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

OfflineBlue_Apocalypse
Central NervousSystem

Loc: Illinois
    #2874486 - 07/09/04 09:27 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say its the procedure.

If you disinfect everything and use aseptic technique you shouldnt get contams unless your house is totally contaminated with mold, in which case you would be able to tell without even growing. Mold is always in the air and the idea is that once the mycelium is mature, it becomes much more resistant to spores so you can expose it to the open air. Like i said, try using a better sterile technique when handling your spawn and maybe also try casing before cleaning your whole house or spending a lot of money on an air purifier.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: Blue_Apocalypse]
    #2875040 - 07/10/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I think if it were a parasitic mold (as described) that had produced mass amounts of spores then it would dictate a cleaning of the entire house. Apparently large bin(s) were contaminated and once you see green there are tons of spores, opening that thing once will release plenty. Just because the substrate is colonized does not mean it cannot get contaminated. All it takes is spores landing on diseased/dead tissue or a piece of uncolonized substrate and its pretty much all over from there...

Contamination on a large scale needs large scale cleaning. The source needs to be eliminated, there is no way around it. At the very least clean everything that is mushroom related (I mean everything), and clean the growroom/lab fully. It could very well be the technique as well, the previous contamination compounds the problem...

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #2889658 - 07/14/04 12:49 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Lis'in t Atwar  Clean to the piont of sterility.
Its no fun losing 98% of your grow

:goodluck:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
    #2919276 - 07/23/04 02:52 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My problem was flies. The nasty little buggers were spreading the contam all around my beautiful casings. It is imperative that u properly control pests.

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

Offlinemr_X_
stranger danger

#2921842 - 07/23/04 07:18 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

i been haging that old timer fly tape hang it in my container. got all them buggers , sticky as hell that stuff.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #2922258 - 07/23/04 09:48 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.gardensalive.com/item_display.asp?ProductNumber=8635&PROG_NBR=5

I found this product and ordered it to give it a try. Haven't received it yet, but it looks promising. It's a non-toxic bacterium that prevents fungal spores from germinating. It seems that you could put it in your mister and spray your casing daily with it. Any airborne trich spores that land on your casing shouldn't be able to germinate. I'll keep everyone posted of results. It would be nice if someone else who's desperate for a solution would order it also and give it a try. Wouldn't it be nice if this stuff actually works?

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #2923239 - 07/24/04 09:17 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LucidDayDream said:
I know I know, this has been talked about before, but I wanted to post my ex girlfriends specific scenario. She has grown with High Mountain Compost innoced with Rye in bins and has had huge success, with each bin about 10 lbs of compst and innoculated with about 8 quarts of rye, each filled with nice white colonized mycel. She has let these bins fruit (uncased) and lazily left them without cleaning em and they have gotten green after they have given off their massive amounts of product. However, now whenever she tries, she cannot beat the green. Shes tried bins and even going smaller time with alum. trays, but the green keeps coming back. The compost always colonizes quickly and looks very healthy. However, msot of the time she pulls off the high points of compost that are not yet colonized to speed up the process. This has worked in the past but now she cannot ever make a single tin/bin make it. Although the bins are always colonized, the areas that are a bit more lightly colonized ( where you can see rhizos wrapped thickly arount compost) are ALWAYS prone to the green. She has an eye for it and can see the little white dots and then, days later green. I think she is perhaps birthing her bins/tins too early and maybe shoudl wait until 110% colonized, yet this has never been a problem in the past. Coudl it be, perhaps, due to the fact that the rubbermaids once were loaded with green mold (after multiple fruitigns and her lazyness to throw them out)? Could green mold spores harbor in the microscopic pores of the plastic? Or is her house most likely just too damn dirty now since she has had numerous bins that she has not cleaned in time? The strange thing is that the last time she was growing with the bins she had them in an isolated room, no carpeting, a small tight little closet with nothing for any spores to cling on. SHe had the place sprayed down THOROUGHLY and also had a hepa on, 24 hours a day. What coudl be the deal? Will she ever be able to grow again? Thanks so much adn sorry its sort of a duplicate post, I just wanted to explain her specific situation

They will most certainly continue to harbor contams. the one thing ya need to understand is plastic is soft and microscopic scratches will harbor contams which are almost impossible to ever get clean again. My suggestion would be to get new bins and line them with a decent mil.plastic garbage bags then when done flushing throw them (bags) out. This will protect your bins from scratches and make cleanup much easier :wink: GL

Edited by dcyans (07/25/04 11:29 AM)

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
    #2927903 - 07/26/04 04:13 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i had to do that too. Guess where the flies were coming from. Well i had attached a tarp to the floor and wall to create a grow room. Well water had collected under the tarp which started a green mold colony which also became a breeding ground for the flies. AARGGGGH!

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

InvisibleHOTTOTTIE
Doug
 User Gallery

Re: Absolutely Cannot Beat Green -- Can it perm. contam a house? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #27672254 - 02/24/22 08:22 PM (2 years, 22 days ago)

Old thread but any update on this RR?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds