Home | Community | Message Board


Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Registered: 04/23/00
Posts: 532
Polarization of my country
    #2851030 - 07/02/04 01:43 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

So this is something scary Ive noticed developing over the past few years. Ive never seen people so polarized about issues like they are now, whether on the shroomery or in real life. I want to ask older members on this board (Im 24), has America ever been this divided about political issues in your lifetime? Have you ever seen a presidency this absolutly loved and this abosolutely hated? It is just disturbing to me how divided people are right now. I just dont think this bodes well for the future. I havent been posting here in quite awhile because of the animosity on this board, but even worse its like this is a microcosm of america right now. Dont know if Im really arguing a point or not, but just something Ive noticed.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Registered: 02/09/01
Posts: 16,296
Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Buddha5254]
    #2851075 - 07/02/04 01:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Have you ever seen a presidency this absolutly loved and this abosolutely hated?




Clinton.

I see what you're saying, even under Reagan I don't believe it was half as bad.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Registered: 06/24/02
Posts: 1,583
Last seen: 3 years, 6 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2851884 - 07/02/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

my view point has simply changed.

i didnt hate other presidents cuz i didnt know what i think i know now.

now i will hate every president.


--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Registered: 04/06/04
Posts: 1,265
Loc: NY
Last seen: 3 years, 1 month
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Buddha5254]
    #2852948 - 07/03/04 02:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Polarization is a effect of the right wing media propiganda machine that controls the american media


--------------------
[url=http://kratom.tcotu.net Low Priced, High Quality Kratom[/url]


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?


Registered: 11/29/01
Posts: 34,203
Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: AhronZombi]
    #2853370 - 07/03/04 06:48 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Polarization is a effect of the left wing media propaganda machine that controls the American media.

Add to that the lefts habit of taking away from those who earn to give to those who don't, special quotas and set asides for the less qualified, the failure of those on the left to see and understand that a common language is a necessity and many other things.... and it's no wonder we're so polarized.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Registered: 12/15/02
Posts: 14,463
Loc: International waters
Last seen: 4 years, 7 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2853384 - 07/03/04 07:20 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"Polarization is a effect of the left wing media propaganda machine that controls the American media."

:lol:


Thats right its all left wing propaganda :lol:

Clear Channel owning all those radio stations, running nothig but the far right 24/7 thats "left wing"

Foxnews , CNN, NBC, left wing??? HA :lol: Lou Dobbs, now theres a left leaning hippie.
:lol:


The truth is the media is BIAS, but its not "left wing"(a loose term itself) or hard right, I would say its Right wing with a corporate agenda.

I would welcome shows from anyone, as long as there was a balance, and if the media is so left wing, what about Bill o Reily or Rush etc etc???

There is not balance its slanted to the right, and the right wing then claims....."its all left"

Well you would have to be pretty damn  right wing to say the american media is left wing :lol:


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?


Registered: 11/29/01
Posts: 34,203
Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #2853387 - 07/03/04 07:24 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If it makes you happy to believe that, leave the blinders on.

I'll remain unsurprised.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEd1
member
Registered: 07/03/04
Posts: 150
Last seen: 12 years, 9 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Buddha5254]
    #2853690 - 07/03/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think you're being mislead by all the mischief these children post on the internet. We caught France and Germany helping the terrorists and most Euros are jealous. Europeans long for the day when they can see the rise of the Nazi party once again. France joined the Nazis and became Vichi France. There were Dutch Nazis. Italians were allied with the Nazis for a while. America had to liberate Europe from Nazism and then later had to liberate it once again from communism. The European mind is corrupt. They always side with evil.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 04/27/01
Posts: 23,480
Loc: Caribbean
Last seen: 5 months, 18 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Ed1]
    #2853776 - 07/03/04 01:05 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

> I think you're being mislead by all the mischief these children post on the internet.

Children? How old are you?

> We caught France and Germany helping the terrorists and most Euros are jealous.

If you don't agree with Bush you are helping terrorists!

> Europeans long for the day when they can see the rise of the Nazi party once again.

So why does France outlaw anything to do with the Nazi party?

> France joined the Nazis and became Vichi France.

Just like America joined Japan and bombed pearl harbor?

> There were Dutch Nazis.

And there are American Nazis too... your point?

> Italians were allied with the Nazis for a while.

*gasp* The first sentence in your entire post that is accurate. Better edit quick and fix this!!!

> America had to liberate Europe from Nazism and then later had to liberate it once again from communism.

America had to do no such thing.

> The European mind is corrupt. They always side with evil.

Ah, that explains why so many European countries use the death penalty... as opposed to America the Good and Just where the death penalty has been retired.


--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Registered: 05/28/03
Posts: 841
Loc: In my pants
Last seen: 5 years, 2 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2853791 - 07/03/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Polarization is a effect of the left wing media propaganda machine that controls the American media.

Add to that the lefts habit of taking away from those who earn to give to those who don't, special quotas and set asides for the less qualified, the failure of those on the left to see and understand that a common language is a necessity and many other things.... and it's no wonder we're so polarized.




Goddammit. Ok - once and for all.
Read this book:

The Republican Noise Machine by David Brock
here - here's an Amazon link, even: (err.. they're out of the book - so this is an audio CD - even better for a busy man such as yourself)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...nce&s=books

David Brock is a former columnist for the Weekly Standard and fellow at the Heritage Institute... so he was PART of the Republican Noise Machine.

The "Liberal Media" is a lie. It does not exist. Read the book or stop talking about it - seriously.


--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Registered: 11/02/03
Posts: 3,171
Loc: The Shining Void
Last seen: 9 years, 29 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Buddha5254]
    #2853844 - 07/03/04 01:42 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I think that overall the media leans center-left the major networks and newspapers don't support Republicans with the exception of Fox News, MSNBC and the Wall Street Journal. ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, New York Times, Washington Post, Time, and Newsweek are all left of center. Liberals can't see this under the logic that if these outlets don't endorse Ralph Nader and Noam Chomsky they must be conservative. There is a strong niche of conservative media, but it is more of a special interest to capitalize on all the people who don't like the other more left-slanted news sources.
It is faulty logic to assume that because large corporations own news organizations that there must automatically be an evil right-wing conspiracy to control the news. News companies want profit, and the fact is two-thirds of Americans identify themselves as Democrats. Their target audience is left of center, because that is where the most potential viewers are. Add to this the cultural trend of journalists being left-leaning (remember, left-leaning doesn't mean communist party membership), and I'd say the media is not conservative.

All of that aside, I don't blame the mainstream media for a polarized country. The fault lies with the decline of civility and ethics in our national discourse along with the rise of demagog's like Michael Moore and Mike Savage. Americans have forgotten how to have a civil discussion about the issues and have sold themselves to extremists and propagandists. It was pretty bad during the Clinton years, but now with far-fetche propaganda infiltrating the mainstream as with 'Fahrenheit 911' things are becomming even worse. Guys like Rush Limbaugh may have started it, but today the left is making it worse by throwing aside critical thinking and following hate groups like MoveOn.org.
We don't approach politics with a positive or constructive attitude, but a black and white 'us and them' mentality, were ethics don't matter and each side must win at all costs even if it means being immoral and hypocritical. Once again Michael Moore is a great example.
I'm sad that the public hasn't come to their senses and rejected these narrow partisan dogmas. I think open-mindedness and critical thinking are on the decline when everyone just jumps on a knee-jerk bandwagon.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?


Registered: 11/29/01
Posts: 34,203
Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2854487 - 07/03/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

You can claim the media is anything you wish. That does no make it so.

There are books which try to make the point in both directions. I have no need to read about what is so clearly obvious.

The media in this country leans left.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Registered: 08/13/03
Posts: 13,673
Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Last seen: 1 month, 18 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Ed1]
    #2854505 - 07/03/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Jesus your crazy man. You might need to take some risperdone and depakote.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Registered: 08/13/03
Posts: 13,673
Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Last seen: 1 month, 18 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2854520 - 07/03/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I also find it quite ironic that this thread is about polarization and one person says its the left in the media and the other says its the right wing in the media.How ironic.

I do have to agree however with this poster because polarization in politics right now is getting fairly bad. You've got the right wing fools dittoheads on the radio that tell people how to think, and youve also go left wing idealogues spouting off random extremist quotes like bush is a nazi.

Both sides are guilty of this shit the problem is its so polarized everyone is still stuck in the mindset that the party they belong to has never commited any wrongs and always blames the opposite.


but thats politics.


Edited by The_Red_Crayon (07/03/04 06:56 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Registered: 05/28/03
Posts: 841
Loc: In my pants
Last seen: 5 years, 2 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #2856848 - 07/04/04 07:28 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The_Red_Crayon said:
...You've got the right wing fools dittoheads on the radio that tell people how to think, and youve also go left wing idealogues spouting off random extremist quotes like bush is a nazi.




No, no... we're not saying Bush is a Nazi. See, he's a Fascist. Big difference. While fascism was at the heart of politics in Nazi germany, they are far from the same thing. Here:

Na?zi
n. pl. Na?zis
A member of the National Socialist German Workers' Party, founded in Germany in 1919 and brought to power in 1933 under Adolf Hitler.

adj.
Of, relating to, controlled by, or typical of the National Socialist German Workers' Party.

fas?cism
n.
Fascism
A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
Oppressive, dictatorial control.

See? Fascist is a subset of Nazi - but not the same thing.

Quote:

Both sides are guilty of this shit the problem is its so polarized everyone is still stuck in the mindset that the party they belong to has never commited any wrongs and always blames the opposite.




Not really true. I'm a registered Dem, and there were a few things Clinton did that made me mad as hell - primarily NAFTA and giving China Most Favored Nation trade status. I'm involved with my local county Democratic chapter, and I hate most of those guys - with one single exception, they are at least as corrupt as any Republican in politics in my area. I will work within my party to bring change to the things I don't like, but I hold that the ideology of my party is better for the people of the US and for the people of the world than that of the other parties in the US. So I fight for what I believe.

Hell, there are even Republicans who are starting to fight the agenda of the Bush administration because, and let me point this out in a different color if I may, so you can see just how strongly I feel about this, Bush is NOT a Republican. Realization of this simple fact will go further to heal the divide in our country than any other single thing. Then it can go from the Red v. Blue / Repub v. Dem. / Liberal v. Conservative debate (and I use that word loosly) that it has become and get back to being about all of us - ALL Americans - wresting control of our country back from these megalomaniacal extremists, and putting it back where it belongs: With the people of our fine land.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Registered: 04/14/04
Posts: 399
Last seen: 12 years, 11 months
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2856857 - 07/04/04 07:32 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GernBlanston said:
No, no... we're not saying Bush is a Nazi. See, he's a Fascist. Big difference. While fascism was at the heart of politics in Nazi germany, they are far from the same thing. Here:




Fascism was Nazism? Do you just lump together all the bad"isms" and make them one?
Quote:


See? Fascist is a subset of Nazi - but not the same thing.




We went from "at the heart of" to "not the same thing" pretty quickly. Most people didn't suffer under hitlers rule. More money, people working, more land. The German people, minus jews/gays of course, did much better under Hitler than before. He brought them out of a recession.


I'm not even reading the rest of your post, sorry.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Registered: 01/19/00
Posts: 15,413
Loc: In the hen house
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Buddha5254]
    #2857274 - 07/05/04 12:13 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

No other president has ever spent $300,000,000,000 on something that will give the average citizen absolutely zero return.

No other president has done so much to run roughshod over the Constitution.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 03/06/02
Posts: 22,840
Loc: To the limit!
Last seen: 9 days, 4 hours
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Swami]
    #2857340 - 07/05/04 12:43 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

What if Iraq doesn't fall apart?

What if everybody just fucking lives hapily ever fucking after in Iraq from now on?

What then? Is he a genious?

Also, I bet both Bushes, Carter and Clinton get called to testify. Any other still living presidents?

Is Spiro Agnew still alive?

OMG!, what about Henry Kissinger?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLL
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...

This is going to be epic.

This shit needs flashing lights and dancing girls and a hot jazzy theme song and shit.

The whole world is on trial basically. I wonder how long befora fingers start pointing at America.

Then America rats out all his buddies and the whole world goes to jail.


Fifteen years to life. Good job everybody.


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 03/01/03
Posts: 550
Loc: Here and there
Last seen: 3 years, 13 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Ed1]
    #2858183 - 07/05/04 07:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Ed1 said:
I think you're being mislead by all the mischief these children post on the internet.  We caught France and Germany helping the terrorists and most Euros are jealous.  Europeans long for the day when they can see the rise of the Nazi party once again.  France joined the Nazis and became Vichi France.  There were Dutch Nazis.  Italians were allied with the Nazis for a while.  America had to liberate Europe from Nazism and then later had to liberate it once again from communism.  The European mind is corrupt.  They always side with evil.




Your ignorance of history is profound... :shake:


--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Registered: 10/15/02
Posts: 4,770
Loc: London UK
Last seen: 3 months, 30 days
Re: Polarization of my country [Re: Ed1]
    #2858203 - 07/05/04 08:11 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Lol! The scary thing is I think you are actually serious.


--------------------
Always Smi2le


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Good reason to shoot and eat a polar bear Luddite 758 8 05/23/08 04:10 AM
by Chemy
* US lists polar bear as threatened species (because of global warming.......) lonestar2004 911 19 05/16/08 07:22 PM
by Prisoner#1
* Russia Trying To Claim Ownership of the Arctic Ocean Floor and its Oil
( 1 2 3 4 all )
DiploidM 5,367 78 08/15/07 05:03 PM
by Seuss
* Hey LuvDemShrooms - You forgot to reply to this thread...
( 1 2 3 all )
somebodyelse 2,306 50 07/05/03 04:39 PM
by somebodyelse
* Hey Luvdemshrooms
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Anonymous 3,085 101 06/25/03 06:34 AM
by Innvertigo
* polarization Lallafa 867 10 10/04/02 09:56 AM
by LordMorham
* Global warming is killing us all! AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
( 1 2 3 4 ... 29 30 )
luvdemshrooms 31,038 589 05/03/08 02:51 PM
by geokills
* Serious question - Why is the right so popular on this board?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 all )
ZeroRadius 10,487 172 01/17/07 09:16 PM
by zappaisgod

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil
2,115 topic views. 1 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.062 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 21 queries.