Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycogrower
Enjoy The Ride
Loc: North Carolina
Need some ID help again, I got pictures!
    #2848115 - 07/01/04 04:35 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Im in need of some more id help. It seems that every time i go outside I come across several new species. Any way heres a discription of the first mushroom:

Cap
Color: from a dark brown in the center fading to a tan
Warts: Yes, light tan, white?
Width: 3-3.5 in
Gills white

Stem
Vail: yes
Color: white to tan
Shape: Thinner a top becomming bulbas at the bottom
length: 5-7 inches

Habitat: forest, on the edge of the path

There was also a patch of this other mushroom, so i got picture of all stages of its life (or fairly close)

Cap
Color: starts as an yellow orange when young and with age changes to a tan/yellow/white
Width: From about a 1/4 inch to 2 inches
Gills : white however with age changes to a brown/blackish
Spores: have yet to make a print
Comment: yellow/orange spots on cap (very small)

Stem
Vail:yes
Stem color: yellow/white below vail/ring above is white
Length: 1/2 inch to 2-3 inches
shape: stem curved a bit, also slight bluge at base

Hope someone can help

Edited by mycogrower (07/01/04 07:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Need some ID help again, I got pictures! [Re: mycogrower]
    #2848907 - 07/01/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Here's a tip to help you for identification: you need to know if the gills are attached to the stem or not. The easiest way to determine this is to cut one in half vertically. If the gills appear to be free of the stem, you should also look at the internal tissue where the stem and cap are joined. If there is a clear line where it changes from stem to cap, then the mushroom has free gills, otherwise they are attached. Incidentally, based on what you've shown, both of your mushrooms probably have free gills.

The first one looks to be an Amanita. Unless it has an odd odor or bruises a distinctive color we'll probably need a microscope to decide which species. To check for bruising reaction, take the one you cut in half vertically (to check for gill attachment) and scrape the inside with your knife edge hard enough to bruise the tissue. Any color changes caused by the bruising will occur within an hour. Amanitas are responsible for about 95% of all fatal mushroom poisonings, so you should never eat an Amanita about which there is any doubt.

The second one looks like an Agaricus. Again, odor and bruising reaction are very important for identification. Also, we need to see a detailed view of the ring on a specimen. You should go ahead and make a spore print, and, if they are Agaricus, it should come out a dark chocolate brown. Some Agaricus are edible, some are poisonous.

Happy mushrooming!

Offlinemycogrower
Enjoy The Ride
Loc: North Carolina
Re: Need some ID help again, I got pictures! [Re: ToxicMan]
    #2850400 - 07/02/04 07:05 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the help ToxicMan. I'll put that into account during IDing. And trust me, I would never eat these. I'm just keeping myself occupide until my bluemeanie spores arrive, i picking what ever I find.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria