Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science * 1
    #2847978 - 07/01/04 05:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I find it said that the common man constructs his version of reality with out-of-date belief systems, based on the lack of not intelligence, but knowledge itself.

I look at the average man I see driving his car, wondering why I see so many humans unable to relax (you can see tension in their faces which is a clear indication of how they hold their lives, not just their faces) and I can't help but try to figure out what's going on in his mind.

Anyway, to get to the point, I'm starting to teach myself the human antomy and physiology, and take notes. Its amazing how much knowledge has been discovered by humanity, I think its time we start putting it all together.

I realized since I've been ill that I want to learn how to heal people. I figured, what better way them to understand how the body functions and exists....not just by living in a body, and experiencing it...but by gaining knowledge of those who have gone before me, and done experimentation, and learned great things.

Well....I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm just writing some notes I've learned so far, that I have been really ignorant on:

- Cells are the building blocks of humans.
- Cells are composed of protoplasm
- Protoplasm is considered the "physical basis of life"
- Protoplasm consists of 80% water, 15% protein, 3% fat, 1% carbohydrate, and the last 1% being contributed to electrolytes
- Science still doesn't understand what causes life (things to be organic)
- All living systems compromised of MATTER must be able to carry out complex biochemical processes that require oxygen adn release carbon dioxide
- Cells can act as hosts for energy, and can carry a current (they can act as cunducters)

Does anyone here keep up to date on some field of science....or is well-educated on one?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2847995 - 07/01/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Go to med-school or study bio chemistry or something. You seem to be interested in it.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: Scarfmeister] * 1
    #2848095 - 07/01/04 06:31 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe. I prefer to do my learning on my own for now, maybe in the future.

In order for me to allow someone to train me, in ANYTHING...I have to be shown that they are capable of teaching True knowledge, with a clever and clear mind.

The teacher of knowledge plays a huge role in how you understand the knowledge you gain...and I wouldn't allow just any human being to teach me

A question for anyone on this board:

What influences DNA? After reading about cellular life, and the DNA's role in the body of a cell...how do you think the DNA itself is influenced by outside factors?

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #2848221 - 07/01/04 07:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure what you mean by influenced but basically everything we do influences our DNA on a minuscule level.

This is of course a lay mans argument im making here but i dont feel like getting technical.

Lets say for arguments sake that some persons DNA has allowed him to develop some kind of PSI powers that give him an advantage over other humans. This person is then more likely to succeed in life and find a mate to procreate with. He teaches this skill to his kids who teaches it to theirs. As the mutation (or whatever) is present in all these persons and their offspring the number of people carrying this geene is growing. Evolution sees to it that advantageous traits are inherited.

As far as i am concerned our bodys are just vessels to transfer our genes to others. DNA is the very essence of our beings. DNA is so awesome its mind blowing, it regulates what our bodies do and how we develop. DNA is what gives us the basic instructions we need to survive. Some even say it transfer some form of memories. Not actual memories of course more like imbedded instructions for survival.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2848248 - 07/01/04 07:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I understand that, but I was wondering on the more technical sense what influences DNA to be altered and change?

Do our thoughts creates patterns that effect our DNA? Can someone prove or disprove this?

InvisibleDieCommie
    #2848275 - 07/01/04 07:19 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

supermarket said:
Do our thoughts creates patterns that effect our DNA?

Im by no means an expert, still a under-grad, but i dont think so. DNA shouldnt change in an individual over his life time, if it does its a mutation probably caused from some sort of radiation (not x-men mutation, cancer mutation)

Quote:

supermarket said:
In order for me to allow someone to train me, in ANYTHING...I have to be shown that they are capable of teaching True knowledge, with a clever and clear mind.

With that stipulation you will be aleinating an entire group of people you dont deem "capable". If you go into a situation with intent to learn, but deny the teachings of some who you deem "not capable of teaching True knowledge" then it seems your intent is not to learn but to reinforce your existing beliefs.

Edited by Qubit (07/01/04 07:25 PM)

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: DieCommie]
    #2848297 - 07/01/04 07:26 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Thats understandable, but can this be verified?

We know the DNA holds information from one cell to another, about the being its in. I dont think we fully understand (I dont anyway) how DNA interacts with its environment.

InvisibleDieCommie
    #2848321 - 07/01/04 07:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

supermarket said:
I dont think we fully understand (I dont anyway) how DNA interacts with its environment.

Are you talking about the physical sense like its copied into RNA and then used in protein synthesis? What do you mean "environment"?

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2848433 - 07/01/04 08:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

In the book im reading it claims that the DNA is altered somehow, and thats how evolution takes place.

I dont understand how its specifically, and physically (and also energetically) altered.

InvisibleDieCommie
    #2849649 - 07/02/04 02:07 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Yes DNA is altered and that causes evolution, but it dosnt alter during you life, it is altered when conception takes place and two sets of DNA are exchanged....this is how evolution works...

What book are you reading?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #2851021 - 07/02/04 01:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Evolution is a misnomer for the process of natural selection, which is a backwards-looking concept.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleDieCommie
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: Sclorch]
    #2851483 - 07/02/04 03:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Why is evolution a misnomer? Obviously if nature is selecting organisms most fit, they will "evolve"....

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: DieCommie] * 1
    #2851764 - 07/02/04 04:33 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you are the closest one here to understanding it

fact is
dna is not altered in life except by radiation or infection or serious chemical attack which usually means cell death.

people love the sound of evolution and the poetry of evolving as we speak etc.

but we do not evolve and this whole thing about evolution is not forward oriented but backward oriented since natural selection has acted upon our forebearers, and if we have kids it may on them... once we have kids and decide not to have any more we are out of that loop.

but we live on and many of us progress.
expressing our genetic potential.
but that is not evolution.

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2852848 - 07/03/04 01:26 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

so whats all this new age jumbo about reprogramming our DNA?

My whole life I've believed that our DNA evolves with us....I guess it just goes to show how ignorant I am in some areas.

So....how is evolution a reality is DNA isnt effected by how we live, what we eat, or anything like that? How does a genetic mutation occur? Is it random?

In that case, evolution isnt really that intelligent, if evolution is 100% random, and uses survival of the fittest to determine positive mutations.

Im reading:

Dynamic Anatomy and Physiology

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2852994 - 07/03/04 02:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Genetic mutation can occur in response to changing environmental conditions. It is actually a quite accurate term. The process of adaptation is "evolving"...evolve: To develop or achieve gradually. This process is also not completely random or a response to radiation. Read "The Origin of Species" by Darwin.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2853131 - 07/03/04 04:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

DNA is codes of proteins, right? It replicates into new cells thru synthesis with RNA as a catalyst. correct me if I'm wrong...

It doesn't change until you procreate and then your DNA and your mate's DNA is fused into your kids... I think that what someone touched on earlier as far as 'evolution' and how DNA is affected.

My girlfriend is in the Human Physiology major, and it's very tough shit, but very extensive. The whole intent on studying from someone who's worthy, is putting your trust(and money) into a university so they can provide someone with a doctorate or at least someone well versed enough to teach you this stuff with confidence.

You seem to have lots of interest in this, I would highly consider taking College level classes, or at least community college.

Quote:

- Science still doesn't understand what causes life (things to be organic)

They've at least slimmed it down on our planet--- must be based off of the element carbon. All active cells and nutrients keeping that being alive must be chained off of Carbon. (Organic Chemistry)

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

InvisibleDieCommie
Re: Appreciating the Fine Arts of Science [Re: Blastrid]
    #2853397 - 07/03/04 07:38 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Also just cause something is organic, dosent mean it is or ever was alive.

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2853697 - 07/03/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ahh good point.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2853870 - 07/03/04 01:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I've got a great interest in biochemistry.  LOL, I read medical journals quite often.  Anyway, you seem to be starting ahead of yourself.  Consider some basic reading material first so that you have a firmer understanding of cells and DNA.

How Stuff Works - Cells

Don't take this link as an insult.  It's for laymans, but I find myself going back to it quite often.  There is so much to the human anatomy...overwhelming.  Feel free to ask me anything on this topic.  I smoke these kind of subjects like crack :thumbup:

Have fun :smile:

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2853882 - 07/03/04 02:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Read up on the Origin of Species, supermarket. Its very interesting to note that an extremely energetic beam of light (lightning) jump started the dormant proteins vibrational frequency to become more active and eventually create forms of life.

I'm not New Ager, btw. I dont believe in chakra's or merkaba's or astral projection, I'm just an observer who seperates good information and junk.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology