Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Steve Akin - "I'm Trippin' Alone" (mp3)
    #2847632 - 07/01/04 04:11 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"A solo artist from Houston, Texas. The second 45 comes across like a pot-smokin' cowboy - trippy lyrics with a stoned folkie vibe over laid-back guitar rock. Very cool. It has subsequently resurfaced on the vinyl comp I'm Trippin' Alone, and also appears on Psychedelic Experience, Vol. 3 (CD)."

Steve Akin - "I'm Trippin' Alone"

Here's a bonus track for you in return for having visited The Shroomery today............

"This outfit formed in Chicago in 1966 and were originally known as Gary and The Night Lites and The Light Nites. They began life as a kinda top 40 frat band releasing three 45s as Gary and The Night Lites and one as The Light Nites. When they signed to Acta they changed name to The American Breed. They continued the brief relationship they had with Bill Traut at Dunwich (as The Light Nites) and he became their producer for their first few Acta singles. They are most remembered for a soul-influenced pop sound best represented by Bend Me, Shape Me, which was by some way their biggest hit, but I've included them here on the strength of their earlier psych pop hit, Step Out Of Your Mind and Green Light, which was in a similar vein. Like many Chicago bands of this era they had quite a brassy sound. Although they were primarily a singles band their second album did make it to No 99 in the U.S. Album Charts. After several personnel changes the group evolved into Ask Rufus (who were later known as simply Rufus). Gary Loizzo was also involved in an outfit called Jamestown Massacre in the late sixties and early seventies."

The American Breed - "Step Out Of Your Mind"

"A Rochester, New York combo whose excellent Bad Trip has received belated attention on High All The Time Vol. 1 (LP) and Sixties Rebellion Vol. 16 (LP & CD)."

The Darelycks - "Bad Trip"

Edited by Learyfan (07/01/04 08:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

Re: Steve Aikin - "I'm Trippin' Alone" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #2847895 - 07/01/04 05:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Here's a couple more for you. Thank you for visiting The Shroomery today. We appriciate your business.  :smile:

"A Beatles-influenced combo from Santa Barbara, who started life as The Vandells. Their compilation appearances have given them a cult following making it impossible to acquire any of their 45s at realistic prices. Their first 45 consists of two folk rock ballads, whilst the second charted locally. Shortly afterwards Rick Morini left the band, being replaced by the drummer from Ernie and The Emperors, in time for The Third Eye - a stand-out raga piece. Their fourth and final 45 also includes some great guitar work."

The Dovers - "She's Gone"

"Cork Marcheschi, the creative force behind Fifty Foot Hose, grew up in the Bay Area and developed a taste for both R&B and avantgarde music - Edgar Varese was an early influence. After finishing high-school in 1963, he formed a garage band called the Hide-A-Ways with guitarist Jim Flannery (Marcheschi played bass). The band soon changed name to the Ethix and played constantly around the Bay Area between 1964-66. They recorded the notoriously atonal Bad Trip single in the bathroom of Cork's mother's house but the band ended in early 1967 when the band played Las Vegas where two of the members were found to be under-age.

Cork's interest in avant-garde music prompted him to build his very own musical "instrument" with two audio generators, two theremins, and various other sonic-distortion devices - a bit like the one Simeon used in the Silver Apples. He teamed with guitarist and fellow experimental music-enthusiast David Blossom who brought in his wife, Nancy, as vocalist. A second guitarist, Larry Evans, was added and former Ethix-member, Gary Doos, played drums to complete the original lineup of Fifty Foot Hose. Doos soon left and a couple of other drummers were tried before settling on Kim Kimsey for good. Meanwhile Cork gave up bass to devote himself to the electronics and Terry Hansley was brought in to take up bass duties.

Early on, the band played a lot of gigs but mostly perplexed audiences with their uncompromisingly experimental approach. They recorded a demo, four tracks of which are included on the Big Beat CD, and hawked it around the record companies. Limelight Records, an experimental label subsidiary of Mercury, signed the band and they recorded their album in early 1968 with Dan Healy, who also worked with Human Expression and later extensively with the Grateful Dead, as producer.

Although Cauldron went unnoticed at the time, partly because it didn't fit into any neat "psychedelic" mould, it has certainly stood the test of time and utilises just about every music-making electronic device then available. Audio generators, echodette, squeaky box, siren, ringing oscillator circuits, theremin - the list is almost endless. Nancy Blossom also has a beautifully clear voice which begs comparison with Dorothy Moscowitz, the vocalist with another pioneering electronic band, The United States of America.

Sadly after the album disappeared without trace, several members left to join the production of the musical "Hair" (just to get a regular paycheck) and the band effectively folded.

No original 45s were issued under the Fifty Foot Hose monicker, but the recent release of original alternate takes of the strongest LP tracks is a welcome addition and worth seeking out. The recent Big Beat CD reissue of the Cauldron album also features two takes of Bad Trip - the 33rpm and the 45rpm versions. Both are still way out there somewhere. Finally, subscribers to Ptolemaic Terrascope #23 also got to hear an 'unreleased acetate version' of Bad Trip on the accompanying free EP.

Kimsey later played with the Hoodoo Rhythm Devils, whilst Cork became a teacher and later a well-known sculptor.

In the late '70s and '80s Cauldron influenced a number of experimental outfits - including Pere Ubu, Throbbing Gristle, and Chrome. Continuing interest in the band led to a "re-union" live album, from 1995, which appeared on the Japanese, Captain Trip label. Although only Cork Marcheschi is the only original member, Live... and Unreleased is rather successful, with spirited performances of If Not This Time, Red The Signpost plus six other tracks. A studio album Sing Like Scaffold followed in 1999 and there was also a vinyl rarities compilation Ingredients. "

Fifty Foot Hose - "Bad Trip"

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Dennis & The Times - Flight Patterns

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2848042 - 07/01/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Yet another Dovers track.

The Dovers - "She's Not Just Anybody"

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
Male User Gallery

#2852095 - 07/02/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As you know by now, The Dovers ruled. Here's the B-side to their most popular song "The Third Eye".......

The Dovers - "Your Love"

Bonus track.........

Baker Knight And The Knightmares - "Hallucinations"

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Grateful Dead

Community >> The Pub