Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Any McKenna Fans out there?
    #2845151 - 06/30/04 08:53 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I was just wondering if any of you guys were Terrence McKenna fans,or have ever heard of his work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippy Hippy
The great whitehunter
Loc: SouthEast
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2845230 - 06/30/04 09:10 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I have read "true Hallucinations" by him, where he goes in search of ayahuasca in the amazon. He eats cubensis many times, very good read, he uses quite alot of big catchy words that i think are overdone sometimes though. Towards the end i have no idea what he is talking about, he gets reallly out there. i was at bonnaroo this year and found a used book vendor in centeroo and asked about mckenna, he had three books, one was a very scientific book that i passed on, the one i got is called "the archaic revival; speculations on psychedelic mushrooms, the amazon, virtual reality, ufos, evolution, shamanism, the rebirth of the goddess, and the end of history". i have yet to even open the cover other then to find a old card for (i assume) the previous owners probation officer, heheh.
Have you read either of these, or do you have any to recommend? i highly recommend "true Hallucinations".

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: Trippy Hippy]
    #2845340 - 06/30/04 09:42 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Actually I just finished "Archaic Revival" a week ago. It was an awsome read if your into some of McKenna's out there idea's. But overall it has many interviews done with him while he was alive, and alot of theories that can really make you think. In fact the book is what inspired me to start growing mushrooms for my own psychological advancement. I would say to anyone read this book it will get you thinking thats for sure. And it has alot of cool stories as well, but i really like Terance McKenna's idea's and his psychological outlook on evolution and the mushroom in human civilization and evolvement.

Check it out and let me know what you think, I'd like to hear some feedback from other people on McKenna's ideas and theories  :cool: A discussion would be cool

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
    #2845468 - 06/30/04 10:38 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Terence McKenna is by far my favorite author/person. I've read True Hallucinations which was and outstanding book. He shows his writing skills in that one by grabbing your attention. Before that i read Food of the Gods which is a great read if you're interested in the history of mushrooms, human evolution, botany, anthrapology, and many more things. It's kind of slow reading sometimes, but nonetheless fascinating. I've listened to a lot of his mp3's (i have all of them) but haven't got around to all of them. Shortly after trying DMT, the same friend who had it let me borrow those 2 books. DMT is so much better when you have more knowledge of it. I've heard good things about his brother Dennis these days, so hopefully we'll get some more McKenna stuff. Peace

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2845569 - 06/30/04 11:33 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

But overall it has many interviews done with him while he was alive

A post-mortem interview would be really cool though...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2845582 - 06/30/04 11:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Swami: yah it would.. Take some DMT maybe it will happen haha

On topic: Yah I'm a t Mckenna fan, I made an mp3 cd and play a lot of his clips while I drive around in my car.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2847063 - 07/01/04 11:00 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

WoW I'd like to get my hands on some of those mp3's and listen any chance you could point me in the right direction as to where you downloaded them at? I'd love to be able to listen to him talk, reading his stuff is mind blowing enough  :grin:

What do you guys think about his theory that mushrooms originated in outer space? I find this concept to be one that could very well be plausible. I mean think about it the organisim itself can survive at sub-zero tempratures, so if you support the big bang theory whats to say that a comet from the other side of the galaxie, had a mushroom organism following in the tail, happends to find our planet and BOOM  :mushroom2: earth has mushrooms.

What do you guys think? And also what is your favorite theory by McKenna?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2847075 - 07/01/04 11:04 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

A theory with zero supporting evidence is called a fantasy.

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2847090 - 07/01/04 11:10 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know about my favorite 'theory' by him but he did develop a very interesting outlook on things, on so many levels..He is definitely one of the only people I have found myself able to listen to for hours on end without even a hint of boredom.

http://mckenna.psychedelic-library.org/

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: Swami]
    #2847700 - 07/01/04 02:31 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
A theory with zero supporting evidence is called a fantasy.

Umm well yes I guess you could look at it like that, but I'm sorry to say that if we as a human race relied on everything with factial bascis and evidence, we would be fooked my friend...fooked.  :frown: We need to allow ourself's thought processes that expand our "normal" way of thinking. So it might be a fanasty..yes..but can you entertain the possiblitty of such an event? If not big bang-then the possiblity of an organism travling here form another part of the galaxie, and finding life in our little corner of the galaxie.

What about this, have you ever wondered why when you take mushrooms you can trip intensly for 5 hours, and then almost like a switch being fliped, your done tripping and thats that. No real hardcore side effects, almost an euphoric state as the trip wears off.

Then you can do LSD and have massive side effects and feel like crap for 12 hours after the trip is done.

McKenna suggest this is a caused from mushrooms being used throughout the evolvement of the human species. This therory in particular striked a chord with me. In all my pursuits in the psychedelic mind, I always wondered about this...

If throughout human evolution mushrooms were being used, then theoretically our brains would have some retained knowledge of the drug and be able to accept it to a certain degree, mabye even reckognize it, and understand why its there and what to do with it.

From personal experience, I can trip way harder on mushrooms than LSD, and have more visual and mental experience, than with LSD and feel completely normal after a 5 hour trip. I guarentee thats not gonna happen on acid. Why is this do you think?

I hope no one is bothered by my rambling, but I'm egar to share some of these ideas with those of you who have not read any of McKenna's stuff, and mabye some of you will go pick up one of his books and do some serious thinking for yourselves.

Mabye the mushrooms has something to say....we just need to learn how to listen.....

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2847721 - 07/01/04 02:36 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Then you can do LSD and have massive side effects and feel like crap for 12 hours after the trip is done.

I'm not sure what you've been taking...but I doubt it's real LSD... :smirk:

From personal experience, I can trip way harder on mushrooms than LSD, and have more visual and mental experience, than with LSD and feel completely normal after a 5 hour trip. I guarentee thats not gonna happen on acid. Why is this do you think?

From my personal experience, I do trip much "harder" on LSD than mushrooms with much less body-load and after-effects. Don't try to guarantee that your personal experience will be the same for everyone else :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: trendal]
    #2847877 - 07/01/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

From my personal experience, I do trip much "harder" on LSD than mushrooms with much less body-load and after-effects. Don't try to guarantee that your personal experience will be the same for everyone else :wink:

So your telling me that your side effects are less with LSD then they are with mushrooms?

I'm simply giving my opinon of the subject, I would hope that most of the readers would have enough common sence to not take my "guarentee" literally  :thumbup: Obviously we are all going to have diffrent trips. but if in fact the above is what your saying, you are the first person I have ever heard say they have less side effects from LSD than mushrooms.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the side effect from LSD "acid" are harder on you than mushrooms, and I'm certainly not trying to say we are all the same, mabye I'm just an old fart and its harder on me than the young guys, but even when I was younger in high school and such, I remember the "next day" being hell on my body and not feeling "normal" again for quite some time after an acid trip.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #2848065 - 07/01/04 04:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

You also have to remember that LSD "lasts" for 2-3x as long as psilocybin does. Normal after-effects from LSD continue for around 24 hours after the dose...psilocybin is over within 12 hours from dosing.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2848109 - 07/01/04 04:34 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Umm well yes I guess you could look at it like that, but I'm sorry to say that if we as a human race relied on everything with factial bascis and evidence, we would be fooked my friend...fooked. We need to allow ourself's thought processes that expand our "normal" way of thinking.

No, we would be fooked if we made decisions willy-nilly with no basis. (See Bush & WMD)

If there is no evidence for "spores from space (echoes: space-space-space) then why not spores from the future or quantum spores or whatever else one can imagine?

--------------------

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2848256 - 07/01/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think you might be the wrong person to get in this discussion with, it appears you are missing the point of my thread, which was to see what other members thought about McKenna's ideas...not pick apart my post, with ideals of concrete evidence, in a psycological topic which there are none. Discussions of the psycoligical mind and contrete evidence of theories is a whole diffrent topic  :smirk: I'm suggestiing ideas and theories that dont have scientific proof or evidence the idea of the thread was to see what other people thought about those ideas.

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2848269 - 07/01/04 05:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ohhh by the way Maya311 thanks for the link to those MP3's been listening for a while really good stuff man thanks  :grin:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2848296 - 07/01/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

appears you are missing the point of my thread, which was to see what other members thought about McKenna's ideas...

Let's see: I am another member. I meet that criterion.

And I posted what I thought of that idea. Seems I fit both parameters.

--------------------

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #2848474 - 07/01/04 07:02 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well, in this unusual turn of events I'm going to see Swami's POV on this.

Although I think its ALWAYS better to have an active imagination then to have none at all....Mckenna seems to have taken too much of his EXPERIENCES from psychedelics....and incorporated the wrong kind of stuff into his everyday life.

I've learned that what you see while tripping (aliens, angels, demons, visions, dreams, places, etc) arent as important as the message you gain.

You have to understand that psychedelics DO make you see things (visions included) that arent real. They can also probably make you see things that ARE real that you aren't aware of, but you have to learn to seperate the two.

What I'm getting at is that Mckenna seems to get too much into what he is experiencing, instead of learning the message the psychedelic is trying to show him.

I DO enjoy his work, and his literature can get REALLY interesting....but he himself said not to take what he says to the heart. It's just entertainment...from one psychedelic user to another.

its the equivalent of a good cartoon. Its good to listen to and pay attention to, but dont try to gain anything from it (and who knows, Im sure theres a lot to gain if you read with an open-mind, but dont take it all as fact or even think it has a real basis)

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Any McKenna Fans out there? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #2848856 - 07/01/04 09:13 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Well all I can is I totally got the opposite meaning from his writting than you. I dont think he was doing it all for entertainment, he made too many a bold prediction for that in IMO. I like to look at it as research into uncharted territory.

But I can see your point on the message you gain, thats what its all about isnt it? Its crazy...we all take pyshcidelics for diffrent reasons, some to explore themselfs, some to experiment, some to just see walls melt  :tongue2:

I trully belive McKenna was onto something and left all his ideas, and life's work for people to take what they may from it. I like many others find his work insperational for the psychedelic research being done on many things becuse of McKenna.

Where are all the McKenna fans at? I'd like to hear what some of your thoughts are on some of his idea's or theories  :smile:Fans meaning you like what he has to say :thumbup:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2848930 - 07/01/04 09:32 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Besides the sheer fun of fizzy ideas, what do you think that McKenna learned that he incorporated into his daily life?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom