Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Peat, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Germinating Datura Inoxia?
    #2847086 - 07/01/04 01:09 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Just looking for tips, as I haven't had much luck. I've tried soaking them, nicking the coats, and just stickin' 'em in the soil.

I've read a lot of of articles across the internet (google.com), and basically it's all mixed up with what people say, everyone contradicts each other. So I figured someone here probably has experience with it.

So how do we do it?

note: how do you tell if the seeds are mature? they're a light brown.. and I didn't collect them, so I wouldn't know what the pods were like..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: Germinating Datura Inoxia? [Re: fredthetree]
    #2847274 - 07/01/04 02:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've germinated metel seeds by putting them in damp soil (as deep as the seed width, but that might not be optimum) and using bottom heat from a heating pad (the type you use if you keep lizards etc, the thin black ones). IIRC it took a few weeks. I nicked the coats on some, others I left alone, it didn't seem to make very much difference for me.
From what I've read, it seems that bottom heat is key. I use it for germinating just about everything now with good results. My latest batch of peyote seeds is starting to germinate after being in soil for ~ 70h :smile2:.

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Germinating Datura Inoxia? [Re: Openminded]
    #2847293 - 07/01/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I've had trouble with datura innoxia aswell. I've have my datura metel plant, with a smaller one too, but i can't get those weird innoxia seeds to plant.

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#2847372 - 07/01/04 02:45 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

It may have to do with your seed source as well. If the seeds are old, or from poor stock, your germination rates may not be that solid.

This is also a plant that tends to take longer than most to germinate. I've always had pretty decent luck by just loading up a seed tray and sowing about 1/4 inch below surface of a well draining soil. Then by watering from bottom (watering tray or something similar) just keep it moist and warm and in an area of partial sun (west or east facing window).

I usually have to wait 3-5 weeks before I see them pop up. From that point on you have to be careful not to over water while the seedling takes hold but once it's solid and growing these are very difficult plants to kill (other than possible frost problems).

Once you get it going give it as much sun as possible and it will quickly grow and grow and grow (to the size of the pot). Amazing flowers with amazing fragrance!

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: Germinating Datura Inoxia? [Re: psilocyber]
    #2847377 - 07/01/04 02:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, the fragrance is what gets me. I can just imagine whoever discovered daturas delerious qualities, thinking it was a good plant because of the smell...deceiving  :laugh:

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #2852019 - 07/02/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You would be pissed if you saw how many unwanted plants come up from mine self seeding.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
Re: Germinating Datura Inoxia? [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #4555682 - 08/19/05 04:27 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

success!

i placed the seeds in folded coffee filter, moistened it, placed in a large ziploc bag. kept moist, changed the air, and in a few days they sprouted. moved sprouts to peat moss, and doing well (:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Peat, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden