Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Boxes

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlines22861318
Stranger
Comparison of, and specifications for, various filter types
    #2846000 - 07/01/04 03:56 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

After lurking for so long I have decided to post a question of behalf of a friend. This friend was thinking about building a positive pressure box for some intermediate mycology work with gourmet edible fungi.

The box to be used is approximately 100 litres in volume and will have airflow supplied at 240 cfm total by two 92 x 92 mm computer fans. The ideal filter to use in this situation would be a HEPA with <= 99.97% efficiency down to 0.3 microns right?

Well it seems that filters of this quality are near-impossible to source in Australia where my friend lives. Some websites have filter specifications for industrial and commercial applications but no websites or stores offer sales of domestic HEPA filters.

My friend read of many people improvising filters from coffee filters, polyfill and even tyvek. The specifications of these different materials suggests that none of them are exactly "ideal" for a serious positive pressure box.

Several teks mention the use of "dust-masks" taped over the fan inlets. Common disposable dust-masks also seem to be far from ideal, but what about the use of replacements for filter respirators such as those used by tradesmen?

There seems to be quite a variety of these and they are reasonably inexpensive. Basically, does anyone know the finer technical details of the different types, and are any of them suitable for use in a positive pressure box?

There seems to be a lot of info on N95 (or P2) class filters but these are only 95% effective and I'm not sure to what particle size. Also, some are specified for organic vapours, solid particles, gases, etc... Which would be the most appropriate in this case?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

s

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Comparison of, and specifications for, various filter types [Re: s22861318]
    #2846026 - 07/01/04 04:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

2 computer fans will never be able to supply the necessary air flow for such a hepa filter.
You might want to check www.fungifun.org/flowhood

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Comparison of, and specifications for, various filter types [Re: s22861318]
    #2846170 - 07/01/04 05:11 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Well it seems that filters of this quality are near-impossible to source in Australia where my friend lives. Some websites have filter specifications for industrial and commercial applications but no websites or stores offer sales of domestic HEPA filters.

The small electrical depts of David Jones and Grace Bros (and they're in all cities of Australia) will sell replacement HEPA filters, for yes, air filtering machines. The one in the pic is for a Sunbeam air filtering HEPA and ioniser model. It sells in David Jones and Grace Bros, not to mention at Harvey Norman too.

It would make a modest DIY HEPA as seen in Anno's walkthrough he's posted, and the same white squirrel fan he's got in that sells at hydro shops. Try http://www.accenthydroponics.com (they're Australian and they do mail orders).

Here's the website on the ^above HEPA. http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/product_details.cfm?rec_id=46&sec_id=24 They're Australian, email them. I'm sure they'd accept a money order and Aussie post it if you're way out past the black stump. But if you're going to buy online, there's a shit load of places to go to just get the filter, esp. larger filters if you have the need.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Boxes