Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Perlite, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Question on humidity and temp
    #2845079 - 06/30/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ok so I have a couple questions on setting up my growing chamber. I have a rubber-maid not to sure on dimensions probally something like 18' across 10'wide about as tall as a shoebox and a half.I'm starting small and only want to birth 3-4 cakes at a time, till I'm ready to move up.  I cut a 4 inch hole on the side with a heppa filter patch glued in place for air exchange. I'm planning on using perlite which brings me to my questions, should I consider using a humidifier like this one http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=7926290026&dept_id=%2D2

It was reccomended to me by another grower. My thing is I live in a warm area with no humididty, but I also dont want to over do it? or can I? In this small area I think perlite would be sufficant but I also want a chamber somewhat hassle free (so I'm not doing air exchanges all the time)

Also I'm concerned with keeping a constant temp around 70* I'm currently testing what temp my room is normally, just to see if I need to worry about it, but I'm pretty sure I'll need some way of keeping it around that temp. Would a heating pad placed underneath the chammber be sufficent? What do you guys do to keep your growing chamber and the 70* range?

As soon as I can get a chance I'll post a pic of my starter set-up and my cakes. I'd also like to get you opinons on how they look  :smile:

Thanks for reading  :grin: All help is definetly appricated

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Question on humidity and temp [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2846979 - 07/01/04 12:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:frown: Looks around for all his fellower mush heads

Anyhoo it would seem my room is going to fluctuate in temp so I am gonna need some advice on heating the growing chamber. Any help out there for a newbie?

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2847003 - 07/01/04 12:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Question on humidity and temp [Re: Citric]
    #2847088 - 07/01/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah thanks for the link I actaully was checking out that teraruium last night I really like it and its what I'll probally go into eventually, but mabye you mistunderstood my question

"a cup of ice should cool it off"

I dont want to cool it down I want to maintain heat, last night before going to bed I checked room temp it was 66* I woke up in the middle of the night around 3am and checked again and it was down to 62* in my grow room. This morning I checked and its stable around 68* so I'm going to need to have a heat source for my terarium. Would a small heating pad placed under the terarium be ok for maintaining a constant 70*+? or is there a better way?

thanks again for the help  :grin:

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #2847112 - 07/01/04 01:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Telling from your dimensions of your setup you shouldnt have a problem with humidity. Moist, sterile perlite should suffice, as for heating, be careful of hot pads, from my experience they tend to dry out cakes and the moistness needed inside the terarrium. For a grow that isn't that big, room temp shouldn't be a problem unless it gets really cool in your room. Just find a spot that's warmer than usual but also clean (on top of the fridge, in a closet, etc.) Remember that colonizing substrates create their own heat. A humidifier isn't a bad investment for future projects on a larger scale and the one your link shows is pretty decent and affordable.

Welcome to the Shroomery.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlineshaman2b
Just anotherfreethinker
 User Gallery

Loc: in my head
    #2847130 - 07/01/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

That's the exact same humidifier I just bought, and my fruiting chamber is about the same dimensions as yours.  I did a test with a cheapo humidity sensor, and it got up to about 80%  -- not sure if this is high enough.  Tho the perlite should help raise it a bit more.  My other concern is if the air exchange is enough given the relatively low volume of air pumping through it.

Let's compare notes & see how things go.  I won't be to that stage for a few weeks yet; spores due to arrive in a couple of days :syringe:

Good luck with the setup!

S2b

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Question on humidity and temp [Re: shaman2b]
    #2847157 - 07/01/04 01:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah that sounds cool I will need to figure something out becuse at night I belive it will get to cold in my grow room, but I wonder if it would be ok just a night on a low setting (heating pad that is) during the day its not a big deal its around 68*-70* so thats cool but at night it can get pretty cold, but I think a heating pad on the lowest setting just for the night time hours might keep me from getting to low of a temp for too long.

I'm totally up for sharing notes knowledge is the key and I'll share what ever I can with the community. *for scientific purposes of course  :grin:*  my jars are about 75% innuculated so I should be in the grow chammber in a couple weeks I cant wait I'm going to try and gets some pics today and get them up  :grin: thanks again all for the replies  :thumbup:

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
    #2850608 - 07/02/04 11:08 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So It looks like I will need some ides on what to do for maintaining temp in my teraruim. Are there any of you that share my same problem?

During the day my room for growing is fine for temp, but at night it can get a bit cold, if so what do you do to keep your terarium at a constant 70*?

I'm skeptical bout the heating pad, becuse of an earlier post someone saying it can dry out your terarium. Are there any other methods besides mabye a grow light positioned over top for a little heat? Anyone with the same problem care to share?  :grin:

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: McKennaFan]
    #2850610 - 07/02/04 11:10 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineMcKennaFan
I like loudsilences
Re: Question on humidity and temp [Re: Citric]
    #2850627 - 07/02/04 11:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ahhh yes an incubator might be perfect for this huh? just need it for about 8 hours at a lower temp of course, then back in the open room, now why didnt I think of that  :crazy2:

Thanks much I think thats probally what I'll do

Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
    #2852531 - 07/02/04 10:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think that he meant that the air surrounding the inner tub and contained by the outer would act as an insulator.
This way you may not have to use heat at all.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Perlite, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation