Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Three Questions!
    #2845053 - 06/30/04 10:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks to everyone for being so helpfull with my first questions that I posted last week. My progress has been good so far and now I have a few more questions.

Quick history:
I inoculated 12 half pint jars with PB two weeks ago tonight, and I have seen some great growth, with no contams at all. About 1/3 of the jars are about 70% complete, with another third being about 40% complete, while the last third is about 20% complete. The colonization difference is largely due to the amount of spores I injected in each jar (I wanted to experiment). The jars were also only in temperatures between 65-72 - a bit on the cold side. Last night I finished my incubator, I bought a 50watt aquarium heater, and put it into a rubbermaid tub with some water. I then put the jars in a smaller container and put it in there (like aliens tek). The temperatures have been steady at about 85 degs.

Question #1

Anyways, I am now to the point where I will hopefully be doing my first casing in about a week with the first couple of colonized cakes. I am probably gonna do a 50/50 mix, with peat/verm/jiffy mix. I have purchased some small containers to do the casings in (the fruiting chamber is only a 25 gal rubbermaid so there is not a lot of bottom room). They are "Loaf Pans" - basically foil pans for small bread loafs. The size is 8" x 3-3/4" x 2-3/8". My question is, since they are small, should I do a half cake per pan (similar to the sea of shrooms tek) or a whole cake per pan? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Question #2

I bought a 25 gal rubbermaid to use as my fruiting chamber. I am going to be replacing a good portion of the lid with plexi glass to allow natural light during the day while pinning & fruiting. I was planning on doing perlite in the bottom for humidity. My question is on air exchange - I am gone like 12-14 hours most days, and I wont have time to fan it very much. I was thinking of putting a small 12 volt fan on it, to have it suck the air out at set intervals on a timer. Or, even more preferably, have the fan be small enough to leave on all the time for extra fresh air. Has anyone found a good cross between air flow and humidity with a setup where fanning isn't always an option?

Question #3

On a couple of jars, I am noticing a bit of moisture near some of the colonized areas.. is that normal?

Thanks a ton!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: deviation]
    #2845066 - 06/30/04 10:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinedeviation
w0000000t
Re: Three Questions! [Re: Citric]
    #2845229 - 06/30/04 11:10 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1). ok cool.

2). I have considered doing the pump, but I'm on the strapped side for cash, and I have fans and power supplies to run em.. thats why i was wondering.

3). good deal =)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation