Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Materialism
    #2843888 - 06/30/04 04:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This one is sure to draw some fire!!! (I hope) What is materialism? Is it separate from spiritualism? Is it moral and what are the limits of it. I'll chime in soon, but I am putting feelers out now. This seems to be a hot topic in the undercurrents of many posts here.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: Materialism [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2844209 - 06/30/04 06:10 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

materlialism is the pursuit of things u dont need.

need is somewhat relative tho.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
    #2844255 - 06/30/04 06:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"Philosophy. The theory that physical matter is the only reality and that everything, including thought, feeling, mind, and will, can be explained in terms of matter and physical phenomena. " dictionary.com

Materialism, in my opinion from this definition/philosphy, is the "fools gold" of life.

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2844273 - 06/30/04 06:32 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

materialism could be pursuit of things you may think you need to be a better/more efficient/accepted/beautiful/ person.

to me it is going out to buy an expesive set of clothes. you need clothes to help protect against the elements from time to time, but do you need the one with the icons name on it?

materialism is interesting...

peace
Casil

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

#2844305 - 06/30/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I'm not completely materialistic, but I do embrace it's type of philosophy often. I believe that most things can be explained in terms of matter and physical phenomena.

But I also love to indulge myself in buying things that provide large amounts of psychological value (such as name brand clothes, latest gadgets, and other things that some would consider not necessary).

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
Re: Materialism [Re: Viaggio]
    #2844321 - 06/30/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Moderation is good.  :sun:

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Materialism [Re: MellowMood]
    #2844404 - 06/30/04 07:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MellowMood said:
Moderation is good.  :sun:

Words to live by.

Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

#2844457 - 06/30/04 07:43 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

materialism.. it's not just about the pursuit of material things like money or objects...

it can be the belief that everything can be "explained by a means of physical phenomena".  this means that there is a physical explanation for everything that happens.  for example, the reason that you experience a euphoria type feeling during orgasm could be explained because there is a release of oxytocin by the brain when you splooge.  the 'white light and tunnel' that is supposedly seen when you die is not you leaving your body and going to the afterlife or whatever.. instead it is a massive firing of the rods in the back of your eyes (possibly because of a lack of oxygen to the brain or something i don't really know).  the emotion of love may just be chemical signals interacting in your brain in order to make one sexually receptive or whatever.  (it's possible..we are extremely complicated organisms)
maybe the human being's openness to accept supernatural explanations, like God for example, can be explained on an evolutionary level.  throughout history, the humans that came to disbelieve religion lacked the security of community that it provided and thus had a much lower chance of survival (it's a nasty world out there when you can't rely on the comforts of our day).  eventually the willingness to accept religion (or some type of religious belief system, such as totemism or whatever) became engrained in our biological and chemical wiring.

:penis:

Edited by toad857 (06/30/04 07:44 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2844477 - 06/30/04 07:46 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

you could have spiritual materialism
collecting points for blatant good performance(s)

and if you are swami you can have dialectic materialism
winning every blog argument in an incontestible fashion.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2845276 - 06/30/04 11:21 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My nickel. I believe our lives are a balenced mix of materialism and spiritualism in such a way that both are part of the same matrix. Our physical life requires a dependance on material goods. We require clothes, shelter, and food. Some believe that a life based on the aquisition of material goods beyond what is required for survival is spiritually unpure, while others care less for the spirit and accumulate and consume as rapidly as possible. I believe that one must strike a balance between these two extremes. There is no sin in being comfortable and having the money to persue your interests. I personally spend about $2500 a year on computer equipment. Having a fast computer is important to me as I am a computer geek. I don't consider this a waste as I use it to perfect my skills. I have a nice house to live in and a serviceable car to drive as well. I buy clothes to cover my hide, and while I shun trendy name brands I have preferences in that I want serviceable casual clothes that are reasonable priced. At one point early in my adult life I found myself poor living about a block from a housing project. After my middle class upbringing this was a shock. It made me appreciate things I had come to take for granted. Many profess that an isolated, ascetic life is more spiritual. In the Dali Lama's autobiography "Freedom in Exile" he noted that it is easy to be spiritual in isolation, but the true test is when one has to interact with fellow humans. Those who choose to get by on the basics of survival are welcome, but I feel that they engage in excess just as those who engage in conspicuous consumption. As was previously noted: moderation in all things is what we should strive for. A friend of mine, who is a baptisit preacher, once informed me that those who allowed religion to consume their whole existance were guilty of the sin of gluttony. I found that very humerous. On the other hand I have worked with a few people that are driven to consume particularly when others are present. They act as if they always have the very best of everything right down to the food they eat. Tommy Hilfigger clothes (yuck), Nike shoes, an SUV...the whole bit. Then they try to show off all of their overpriced junk as if they do not realize that I make the same wages they do. I find this just as misguided. In the end I guess people are welcome to whatever makes them happy...my only true stipulation for morality is the prohibition of gains at the expense of others.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#2846746 - 07/01/04 11:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

if you flaunt your hip-ness,
then that becomes hip materialism.

sometimes it serves as a model for others
but sometimes it is used to hurt feelings.

in all material things we need a compassionate materialism:
substantive and invested as a model to betterment (&joy), not to hurt feelings.

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2848241 - 07/01/04 07:08 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Pure materialism, without any spiritualism bears the most danger for an 'intelligent' race, like the humans. It tends to selfishness.

Pure spiritualism mostly brings out no valuable, visual or direct results in 'real' life.

If spiritualism seddles down on materialism, the most moving developements in human history appear.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Materialism [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2848863 - 07/01/04 11:14 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

"if you flaunt your hip-ness,
then that becomes hip materialism."

I find that to be quite profound. Well put.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology