Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
Loc: Europe
cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics..
    #2835664 - 06/28/04 07:12 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I decided to do this just right now, here are the pics... I broke my heart, I could nearly hear him suffer when the blade went through... :crazy:  but hey, he'll have some kids, and we will have a close encounter.. :grin: :wink:

This is what he looked like before...

Bottom part..

top and middle part..

that's a 30cm ruler, the big middle part weighes 1.2 kilos... Would that be decent for 2 people??
  Planning on planting the top part, and use mj's methode for the middle part... do you guys think I could just get another little cutting from the middle and trip on the rest with another person?
thanx...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Loc: England.
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics.. [Re: psylo33o]
    #2835686 - 06/28/04 07:32 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

That's strange, today I was overcome by an urge to chop up my pachanoi too. Mine is in 3.5" pieces that I'm going to plant, though. They're callousing over as we speak, as soon as they've been planted I'll get some pics so people can see how they progress, and I'll get some pics of my other plants too.
From what I've read, I think you could get another cutting from the middle part and still have a good time. Cuttings don't have to be very big. But it depends on so much...
Well, I'm sure someone more experienced will reply soon. Have fun with that!

OfflineNewdude1
Stranger
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics.. [Re: Openminded]
    #2836282 - 06/28/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Graft the growing tip onto the base! it will recover and grow much faster.

OfflineLoneDeranger
Deranger

Loc: Nonething
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics.. [Re: Newdude1]
    #2836298 - 06/28/04 12:12 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Nice idea. That should be enough for 2 people to trip. Just don't fall asleep while preparing your cactus :wink:

--------------------
Mescalito is my homeboy...

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics.. [Re: LoneDeranger]
    #2836935 - 06/28/04 04:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Wow that real great idea with the chop and graft! I think ill use that too whenver i give mine the chop.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pics.. [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2838157 - 06/28/04 11:51 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

About how long did it take to get that big and whats the soil mix?

Edited by Gr0wer (06/28/04 11:51 PM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: psylo33o]
    #2839980 - 06/29/04 01:23 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

'if you bring a big brown bag of the mall i'll jump up and down and hope you toss me a carrot...'

'graft the tip onto the base' - very dumb said - you need to graft at the TOP, not at the LOW parts of the plant because there the vascular tissues are already built up and estabilished.

anyways, it's a torch... i don't know if it was in optimum growth or for how long it has been stressed but that mid section might work for a couple people. if it was growing on full throttle, store it in a dark place for a week or two (or a month) before using... :wink:

FH

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: felixhigh]
    #2841185 - 06/29/04 07:48 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Felix: What is your reason for storing in dark for a month?

Invisiblesherm
sherman
 User Gallery

Loc: Euthanasia
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: felixhigh]
    #2841366 - 06/29/04 09:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

store the cutting in the dark? or the cacti in the dark before you cut it?

--------------------
shroomery.
not even once.

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: sherm]
    #2842714 - 06/30/04 05:48 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I think he means that if you're going to eat the cutting, you should store it in the dark for a while after cutting, but before eating. It's just another way of stressing it, so that cactus makes more alkaloids.

Edit: when you're callousing over a cutting for planting, are there any signs that tell you when it's ready? Mine have been sitting in a warm, bright place for about a week, the ends feel smooth and dry and the vascular ring is sticking out a bit, since the cactus flesh is losing water and shrinking. The ends feel quite soft though, aren't they meant to feel a bit tough before planting? I don't know... please let me know if there are any signs that I should look out for.

Edited by Openminded (06/30/04 06:03 AM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: Openminded]
    #2842824 - 06/30/04 06:49 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

>>Edit: when you're callousing over a cutting for planting, are there any signs that tell you when it's ready? Mine have been sitting in a warm, bright place for about a week, the ends feel smooth and dry and the vascular ring is sticking out a bit, since the cactus flesh is losing water and shrinking. The ends feel quite soft though, aren't they meant to feel a bit tough before planting? I don't know... please let me know if there are any signs that I should look out for.

The cut end should be dry, rough, and like the worst callous you've ever had on your skin, you should be able to put some gently pressure on the callous with a finger and not have it give.

I don't understand what "ends" you mean, if your talking about the ends/poing of the ribs right at the callous/cut site, then let it dry a little more and don't leave the entire thing exposed to the sun anymore since you said it's losing water.

After a while dealing with cacti, you just know when they're ready.

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #2842986 - 06/30/04 09:01 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all... I've had that cacti for like 2 years now, and it was half it actual size (well, when you stick all the parts together now :smile: ) You can see the colour changes if you like at the pic... it grew incredibly fast, it was a fat cutting 2 years before ( from what the guy told me) so it logicaly has 4 years, which is a little surprising! I won't complain though! the soil is a mix of odinary potting soil, and some cactus soil made of volcano rocks or something like that, it has a nice texture for draining imo, and a little deep garden soil.. The bottom has totaly calloused, the middle supper quite enough, and the top is a little longer, it's still very soft... i'm not too sure about the idea of grafting the top to the bottom (it's too late anyway), the diameters differ quite alot, and it would be very esthetic, I simply prefer have 2 new catus :smile: I'm going to a teknival in germany for a week or more, and I don't plan on eating it there, so it the middle part will certainly stay in my room for that period...
lol lonederanger, that happened to me a couple of times with pod putty, somethimes I just forgot about it, until I noticed a burnt smell.. :smile:

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

Re: cactus chop chop... hurts my heart, but here are the pi [Re: neuro]
    #2843148 - 06/30/04 10:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the info.
Another qn: if you have a section from the middle of a trich, and you plant it sideways in the soil, where do the roots form? From the cut ends, from the aereoles along its length, or at random places?
Because I was thinking, as long as the roots don't form from the cut ends, then you could be rooting the cutting as the ends heal up, as long as you have something to prevent the ends from touching the soil, which would cause rotting. This could take a few weeks off the time it takes to root, because you wouldn't need to wait for a full callous to form, and this might make the difference between success and failure if you only have a small cutting with not much water or energy in reserve.

Like this:

And then when the ends have healed you can put the cutting into the soil like you normally would (half burried, half above surface).
Might that work?

Edited by Openminded (06/30/04 10:24 AM)

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
    #2843697 - 06/30/04 01:26 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

When you plant a middle section, or any section, the roots form from the aereoles. That's where the pups come from, from other aereoles. It will work fine putting a section on it's side. If you are lucky enough to have a tip cutting them put the cut end into the soil. A little trick you can do when they start pupping is to take one of the pups off after it gets 6" or larger. You can make a new plant from the pup and the cutting you took it from will usually make more pups. I do this when the pot looks a little small for the size of the cuttings and pups. Cactus grows fastest when it's not too rootbound in comparison of it's size and pot size. Put the pup (after it callouses over) into a pot of it's own and it can start a whole new plant and put out its own pups. Some day I'll have hundreds and some will be monsters.

Stoney

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #2844085 - 06/30/04 03:29 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

>>Another qn: if you have a section from the middle of a trich, and you plant it sideways in the soil, where do the roots form? From the cut ends, from the aereoles along its length, or at random places?

Pretty much what stonehenge said. But I'll elaborate more on it just for the sake of typing.

The roots will form at the aereoles and some will come off the callloused end in time. Roots that randomly pop out in places other than aereoles or the callus end (after some time) are called adventitious roots and you don't see them too often.

>>Because I was thinking, as long as the roots don't form from the cut ends, then you could be rooting the cutting as the ends heal up, as long as you have something to prevent the ends from touching the soil, which would cause rotting.

This would be an interesting experiment to try. However in theory i don't think it'd work out like you planned. The aereoles are stimulated by moisture from the soil to produce some roots, so I'd say it would have to be incontact with the soil and there would be no way to do that and have the cut ends not touch the soil at the same time.

However i think it would be an interesting experiment to see if it really would work. What it would rely on, i think, is the humidity between the soil and the cactus (but not too much humidity) to initiate root formation. This is the only way i see your suggestion and included graphic producing the expected outcome.

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #2990025 - 08/11/04 06:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Hey hey update:(long!) after germany I went to go working in the fields with a friend, and the middle section curiously found itself in my bag.. We were spending the 3 weeks in a camping with a friend, we had to sign the forms with the boss on the monday evening, and he told us we started on thursday... So that ideal for making soup....  the rest of this post is a incrdible dream I had on the monday night... so we woke up at about 2pm on tuesday, and decided to prepare the cactus... I was thinking following MJ technique, but sundennly I realised ( this is to show you the lack of efficenty my brain has :smile: ) I was in the nature, next to a river, but with no fucking blender or electricity.... fuck. So we had to blend the cactus manually. Fortunaly, I had a potatoe "squasher"... so I started despining and peeling the cactus, and cutiing in little stars, and then cutting the middle core off, and then, turn turn and turn that fucking hand-blender.. This was LONG. What came out was that horrible brightgreen sticking goo, but again, it was very very long... a few people came by and were surprised at what we were doing, a young wowen came other and was quite interested at what we were doing, we just said we were making cactus soup, and at the end, she ask: "is it nice? NO. Well why the fuck are you doing it?! ah ha." We finished telling her it was a psychoactive cacti, and she told us, why don't you just eat mushrooms like everybody else? These events aren't very significative but I want to write them. This is my post. I have the rights.
So after having turn the blender about 459632581 times, the goo was all there, it was 8pm. Told you it was long. But we hadn't boiled the goo yet! So up go the boiling with the gas thingy, boiled for about 2hours, we were impatient... after filtering, we ended up with about a liter of that dark green sticky horrible-tasting syrup-liquid. We could have boiled it more, but it was past 11pm, and we were eager toget it starting. I was happy of having pasted all day long with a preparing the cactus with a bit more "traditional" methode. (Physical pain at the wrist, spines all of the arms, etc, I think I deserved that potion) But the hard part wasn't finished, we had to get that half a liter each of desgusting green slodge in I stomaches. Block the nose, and gulp while thinking at something else. Hard. we ingested the p?tion during about an hour, smoked a few joints. Then we went to have a little walk in the village, and we started to feel a bit...I can't find the word, you know, when you started to get all curious, etc. We ended up climbing in the trees and stayed there for a bit less then a hour, everything started to get intringuing, the vision was different, we were laughing at any stupid remark. Then it started raining. 20 minutes later we weere soaked, though convinced we were protected by the leaves. it was quite a shock suddenly realising I was really soaked, while I was sure I was dry. When ended up staying in the toilets-washrooms of the camping, and spend are terrific night in there. Thre whole psychedelics effects were already in, nice visual, different of course from mushrioom, acid, and even 2c-b. There was a nice green taint to everything, and fluo stains a bit evrywhere... we discovered some mirrors, and woh. Its' funny, during the trip, you still feel quite "feet on earth", and I totally agree with the person that say that when under mescaline, you feel like you could have drank twice the amount. Still a little subtle, but you have like a "power of thought", you can tiedy your brain, when thinking about something important, you really are at the place of the thought.. it's hard to describe... well, with those mirrors, we saw ourselves, and during a moment, I tried to image the reflecys were 2 other people... and I was rezally convinced these were other people, asking discretly my friend if he thought they knew we were under mescaline... anotherthing that marked us both was a sort of time distortion that accured.. we were walking next to a road, when I suddenly got lost in my thoughts... next thing I know, I find myself at the end of the road (which was about 600m long), but with the impression of having lived an ecrible amount of things, like when you wake up after some vivid dreams, but you don't really recall all that happened, but you know a lot of things happened... I looked at my friend with a surprised look, and he was looking at me with the same look, apparently, the same thing happened to him. After taliking about it for a while, we ended with the conclusion that that road was a bug in the matrix, and that we had gotten out of it for a unditermined amount of time..  well can't tell the whole trip.. at the end of the trip, we where sitting on some chairs having some nice discussion on the whole planet earth, the spirits of the plants, and how pathetic the human race is compared to the whole nature... great enlightment.... the next day, we crossed that women of the previous day, and told her in a vivid how great it was... a very nice trip.
  and I woke up, it was tuesday morning. :wink:

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

OfflineOpenminded
Dicotyledon

#2990073 - 08/11/04 07:02 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like you had fun :smile:.

I'm very pleased with my cactus chopping as well. The stump has sprouted two pups, and another aereole is very swollen so I think another pup is coming, and all five cuttings have rooted, although they have not put out pups yet...
Strangely, four cuttings have made adventitious roots, one has rooted from the end, and NO roots have formed at aereoles! Maybe due to the fact that I dipped each cut end in rooting hormone as soon as it was cut, so the hormone absorbed all through the tissue...

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #3023970 - 08/19/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Hey hey.. My botom pert sprouted 3 pups from the top, and the top cutting has well grown, I came back from italia yesterday and it has grown about 2 cm while when I left it had hadly any sign of new growth! The little middle cutting doesn't seem to have any roots yet though... well, that's it...

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Offlinepsylo33o
enthusiast
    #3203363 - 10/01/04 08:58 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Update!!
The bottom part lost one pup (shrivelled and fell off.. ??)
here are some pics...

Mickey!!!

see ya

--------------------
I am the holy spirit
I am whole in spirit

Offlineplexus
holding thelight of athousand candles

Loc: texas
    #3208597 - 10/02/04 10:59 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

haha... that second ones funny

--------------------
that there, thats not me. :noway:
i go where i please. :yesnod:
im not here.:shake:
this isnt happening.:nonono:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates